Virginia - Here is what Tim Kaine will do for us.

This is a discussion on Virginia - Here is what Tim Kaine will do for us. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dear XXXXX, Thank you for contacting me to share your views on proposals to reduce gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you. No one can ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise

Thread: Virginia - Here is what Tim Kaine will do for us.

Virginia - Here is what Tim Kaine will do for us.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on proposals to reduce gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you.

No one can deny that gun violence is a serious problem in this country today. We owe it to the victims of the growing number of mass shootings to vigorously debate specific and comprehensive proposals that can keep our communities safer. The right approach focuses on many issues - improvements to the mental health system, better security protocols and common sense rules about gun use, including keeping firearms out of the hands of dangerous individuals.

When I was on the Richmond City Council in the 1990s, our city was mired in an epidemic of gun violence that included the city having the second-highest homicide rate in the United States. The most successful step we took was implementing Project Exile, a program that involved federal prosecution and tougher penalties for gun crimes that were previously treated more leniently in state courts. Celebrated by diverse groups engaged in the gun violence debate - including the National Rifle Association and the Brady Campaign - the program helped drive down Richmond's homicide rate by nearly 60 percent within a few years.

In 2007, the tragic shooting at Virginia Tech revealed glaring weaknesses in campus security protocols at colleges and universities, in our mental health system and the gun background check system for gun purchases. In a bipartisan spirit, I worked with then-Attorney General Bob McDonnell to immediately improve our background check system and issued an executive order ensuring that those adjudicated to be mentally ill and dangerous would be entered into a national database and barred from purchasing weapons. We also changed standards for mental health treatment and increased funding for community health programs while dramatically improving campus security and efforts to assist college students suffering from mental stress.

In January I attended a round-table event in Richmond with Vice President Biden on gun violence, to talk about the lessons learned in Virginia and the need for a comprehensive approach to these problems. As your U.S. Senator, I will work to bring that kind of comprehensive approach that will strengthen the safety of our communities, while protecting our Second Amendment rights. As a gun owner who worked with others to constitutionally guarantee Virginians the right to hunt, I know that you can be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment without tolerating the gun tragedies that are too often a part of our daily lives.

Concerning specific proposals, I am a strong supporter of universal background record checks. This is the only way we can enforce existing laws that prohibit dangerous individuals from purchasing guns. I am open to supporting legislation placing reasonable limits on high capacity magazines, combat-style weapons and gun trafficking if they are carefully drafted.

Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind as Congress continues to debate strategies to reduce gun violence. Thank you once again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Signature

Tim Kaine

I am without speech! I do not know how this state can produce so many unconstitutional legislators.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

2. Remove Ads

I find it ironic that he is claiming responsibility for George Allen's Project Exile

an aside... Concealed carry became must issue in the 90's and many, myself included, attribute that to the drop in Richmond's violent crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    I find it ironic that he is claiming responsibility for George Allen's Project Exile
    Which was actually a proposal developed, or at least strongly backed, by the "evil" NRA. It's interesting that politicians seem to want to distance themselves from the NRA but when an NRA backed program works well (or course it worked well, it actually addressed the real problem) the politicians are more than willing to take the credit.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Translation: watch out!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Well, at least he said this, "As a gun owner who worked with others to constitutionally guarantee Virginians the right to hunt"

Kaine is a snake and an Obamabot if there ever were one. He's as bad as O'Malley in Maryland.
    ctr likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Re: Virginia - Here is what Tim Kaine will do for us.

That is the exact same thing he told me. He must really mean it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Im guessing he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he said most of this.

Q: Is Mr. Kaine a conservative who really supports the 2A?

A: Does the Pope poop in the woods?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He's a Dem who claims to be pro gun.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Translation / bend over and grab your ankles.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I got the same reply from him last night

VIP Member
    This is the same Tim Kaine who twice vetoed conceal carry in establishments that sold alcohol for on premise consumption, even with the stipulation that if carrying you could not consume. His reasoning both times was that alcohol and guns don't mix and there would be mass shootings if allowed. So what if open carry, with no stipulation on consuming, was allowed and us open carriers didn't go shooting the places up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links