Letter from Congressman Gus Bilirakis, 12th District FLORIDA

Letter from Congressman Gus Bilirakis, 12th District FLORIDA

This is a discussion on Letter from Congressman Gus Bilirakis, 12th District FLORIDA within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HERE is a man that not only gets it, but he is demonstrating his understanding of it in his letters. ------------------------------------ Dear BugDude: Thank you ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By BugDude

Thread: Letter from Congressman Gus Bilirakis, 12th District FLORIDA

Thumbs up Letter from Congressman Gus Bilirakis, 12th District FLORIDA

HERE is a man that not only gets it, but he is demonstrating his understanding of it in his letters.

------------------------------------

Dear BugDude:

Thank you for contacting me to share your opposition to greater gun control measures. I appreciate hearing from you.

First, I would like to express my deepest condolences to the families of the victims of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. What occurred there was a tragedy in the truest sense of the word. As a father of four boys, I cannot imagine the pain those families are dealing with on a daily basis. My heart goes out to them, and I keep those families, and the children and brave members of the school staff, in my prayers.

The federal government must examine the underlying causes of such violence. I strongly support the right to responsibly bear arms under our Second Amendment. Over the past twenty years in the United States, gun violence has significantly trended downward, even as gun sales have increased. Law-abiding Americans who exercise their Second Amendment rights are very rarely the aggressors in a violence crime. England, by contrast, has enacted harsh gun control measures, only to see gun violence increase over the past decade by almost 90%. Chicago and Washington D.C. have the some of the most stringent gun control laws of all localities in the United States, and despite that have historically had some of the highest rates of violent crimes committed with firearms in the country. Many Americans legally purchase firearms and use them for sport or self defense without problem. I believe that Washington can come together in a bipartisan manner to enforce current policies that make it more difficult for criminals to obtain guns, as well as policies that will be more effective in treating those with mental illnesses. In this way, Congress can address the root cause of gun violence and help to further reduce gun violence in this country, without infringing on law-abiding citizens' Constitutional rights.

As a resident of Florida's Twelfth District, your comments and opinions are an important source of information to help me carry out my duties as your federal representative. In that regard, please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on any issue important to you. Also, if you would like to be informed more frequently about my work in Congress and in Florida's Twelfth Congressional District, please visit my website at Congressman Gus Bilirakis to sign up for regular email or to send me a message.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

Sincerely yours,

Gus M. Bilirakis
    Member of Congress
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Nice letter...shows he really has some common sense.
    Perhaps some of it will rub off on his political cohorts.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Gives one hope afterall.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Great response! Yes, he definitely gets it. I only hope that more and more politicians finally get it.

He needs to be sending this letter our to the rest of the members of Congress, the White House, and anyone else that steps foot in DC.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Got basically the same form letter from ours, here. Still nice to read but lets hope they really believe the right thing when comes time to stand up. Even this positive letter does not spell out the refusal of AWB and mag bans, mand private registration. Anytime someone lays out just the basics like gun ownership, home defense, hunting.... beware... they might still have one foot on the other side.

Add to that letter: I do not support any type of additional weapon or magazine bans and our current registration and background check system is NOT the root of the problem. The problem is the revolving door of our justice system and the welfare system that ruins the family unit and produces entire communities full of thugs and criminals. We also need to look at the failure of our education system, mental health care and the overload of illegal immigration that is crushing the infrastructure of the US.

(ahh whats the use)

Links