Washington state legislative hearing Feb 13th:

Washington state legislative hearing Feb 13th:

This is a discussion on Washington state legislative hearing Feb 13th: within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those living in WA state: Copied from another forum: Two anti-gun bills are scheduled to be heard by the House Judiciary Committee this Wednesday, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cook74

Thread: Washington state legislative hearing Feb 13th:

Exclamation Washington state legislative hearing Feb 13th:

For those living in WA state: Copied from another forum:

Two anti-gun bills are scheduled to be heard by the House Judiciary Committee this Wednesday, February 13. This hearing will begin at 8:00 a.m. in House Hearing Room A of the John L. O’Brien Building in Olympia. Please attend and express your opposition to the following bills:
    House Bill 1588, sponsored by state Representatives Jamie Pederson (D-43), Mike Hope (R-44) and thirty-six other state Representatives, would criminalize the private sale of firearms. HB 1588 is nothing more than a regulatory scheme which would create a huge burden for law-abiding citizens. It would require that anytime you sell any firearm to a family member or friend, you will have to go through a gun dealer or law enforcement agency and pay a $20 fee (tax), with no guarantee of timely processing.Additionally, while Concealed Pistol License (CPL) holders are currently exempt from having to undergo a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer, there is no provision in HB 1588 that extends the CPL exemption to private sales. For more information on this misguided measure, please see our previous report.
    House Bill 1676, sponsored by state Representative Ruth Kagi (D-32) and thirteen other state Representatives, is a so-called “child access prevention” bill which would single out the storage of firearms for criminalization under certain circumstances.
    Today, fatal firearms accidents are at an all-time low. Firearm storage legislation ignores the fact that Washington firearm owners are extremely responsible with their firearms and that firearms are involved in a disproportionately low number of fatal accidents among children. Children are about thirteen times more likely to die as a result of drowning, thirteen times more likely to die by suffocation and about seven times more likely to die in a fire than to be fatally injured with a firearm in the state.
    Not only is HB 1676 misguided in that it is demonizes firearms, it is also unwarranted. Washington’s current reckless endangerment statute already provides a remedy to address the rare incident of negligent storage. More significant, however, is the civil remedy available which provides for civil action by the parents of a minor child who is injured or killed. The prospect of losing your own child, or facing civil litigation brought by the parents of a young victim, should serve as greater motivation to store firearms responsibly than the criminal penalty provided in this legislation.
    Another recently introduced attack on our freedom is House Bill 1703, sponsored by state Representative Laurie Jinkins (D-27) and sixteen other state Representatives. This bill would create a $25 tax on all retail gun sales to create a “firearm-related injury and death prevention program.” It would also tax ammunition purchases!
    HB 1703 would serve no effective purpose other than penalizing law-abiding citizens in order to expand bureaucratic power. This horribly misguided bill has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee, but has not yet been scheduled for a hearing.
    Also introduced this week is Senate Bill 5625, by “F-rated” state Senator Adam Kline (D-37). SB 5625 is a companion measure to HB 1588. This bill has been referred to the Senate Law and Justice Committee. Please contact your state Senator TODAY and express your opposition to this onerous bill.
    House Judiciary Committee:
    Representative Jamie Pedersen (D-43), Chairman
    (360) 786-7826
    jamie.pedersen@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Drew Hansen (D-23), Vice Chairman
    (360) 786-7842
    drew.hansen@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Jay Rodne (R-5)
    (360) 786-7852
    jay.rodne@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Steve O'Ban (R-28)
    (360) 786-7890
    steve.oban@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Roger Goodman (D-45)
    (360) 786-7878
    roger.goodman@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Mike Hope (R-44)
    (360) 786-7892
    mike.hope@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Laurie Jinkins (D-27)
    (360) 786-7930
    laurie.jinkins@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Steve Kirby (D-29)
    (360) 786-7996
    steve.kirby@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Brad Klippert (R-8)
    (360) 786-7882
    brad.klippert@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Terry Nealey (R-16)
    (360) 786-7828
    terry.nealey@leg.wa.gov
    Representative Tina Orwall (D-33)
    (360) 786-7834
    tina.orwall@leg.wa.gov

Representative Mary Helen Roberts (D-21)
    (360) 786-7950
    maryhelen.roberts@leg.wa.gov

Representative Matt Shea (R-4)
    (360) 786-7984
    matt.shea@leg.wa.gov
    RicT likes this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Everybody is Washington state should be emailing and calling (it's too short notice to write letters) to all of the committee members voicing your opinion. Also, hopefully all who can make it to the hearing will so so.

Here is a good basic email to send to the legislature:
    This country has slipped a considerable way down that "slippery slope" on just about any issue you can name. As a result, more and more, TAX paying citizens are marginalized, and disaffected, in an effort to appease those who produce little to nothing but expect, ever more.

Politicians have made the mistake, repeatedly, of pandering to the media masses, who are vocal, organized, and have round the clock, sound bites. Unfortunately for all of us, this leads to further erosion, of everything around us, as permissiveness, allows anything, in the goal of political correctness, and "individual rights" regardless of the impact on the majority. In some cases this, is as it should be, as this country is not an absolute Democracy, but a Republic, as it was set up. This was intended to protect the rights of the minority against the tyranny of the majority. Why all are punished, for the dereliction of a scant few, runs contrary to everything this country was founded on.

As with most things, politically motivated, legislations are more about, feel good, do something now, so we look good, as opposed to lets take time to figure out whats really wrong, like Mental Health, and how we now turn individuals out into the "mainstream", who are unable, to function. Or how criminals are repeatedly turned back out into society. The FBI's own statistics prove that not only are "assault weapons" (incorrectly defined), not an issue, but bats clubs and knives are more deadly than all guns. Perhaps we should enact, Baseball Bat control like Japan, or perhaps steak knife control like Scotland. Criminals DO NOT get their guns from gunshops, gun shows, or legitimate gun owners. Once again FBI statistics prove this out. Strangely the regions with the strongest gun control, also have the highest gun crimes, while the opposite is true of regions where gun laws are lax and legal, and ownership is highest. Once again these facts, are born out by the statistics. While mass shootings, as horrible as they are, barely warrant a mention in crime statistics. If we are going to try the "if it saves only one child", BS, how about we apply a larger metric and do something that will save hundreds, perhaps thousand of lives?? Maybe we should legislate the return of individual responsibility. Perhaps we should reinstall moral and cultural values, into our society, Perhaps instead of allowing kids to curse in school and disrespect teachers, ( New York City), instead of ignoring assaults and thefts (Chicago), maybe, we should focus on the quality of life issues, that have be swept under the rug, for the advancement of entitlement.

An inconvenient truth is the vast majority of gun crimes are Black on Black, gang and drug related (80%), and Black on White, rapes assault and robbery (17%). In Philadelphia alone the number of people killed with a gun who had a prior criminal conviction was almost 93%, in 1996. 75% of gun crimes are committed with handguns, 4% with rifles(this includes so called assault weapons), and the rest with shotguns and unspecified firearms. Does this indicate there is an "Assault Weapon" problem?? Not likely, using common sense, this would appear to indicate a societal problem, not a gun problem, not a race problem, not even a rights, or freedoms problems. Perhaps politicians, should apply themselves to correcting the problems they themselves have facilitated, with hackneyed, ill though out and rushed "we need to pass it so we can see what's in it" legislation.

The simple fact is legislation like this is passed is because it's easy, not because it's effective. You can seize and control my guns and my neighbors, because we abide by the law, and you know where we are, and we are afraid of loosing everything else, so we are cowtailed, into compliance. It can be seen on TV that politicians "did something" How will you get criminals to hand in theirs?? Harsh language?? Using the "War on Drugs" as an example, that should turn out well.

Perhaps if the government could be trusted with guns, (The BATFE, Fast and Furious, Milwaukee), we law abiding citizens would be more willing to listen. But all we hear is an ever increasing chorus of infringement on us, for nebulous ends, and feel good media events.

Maybe Congress and the Senate should finally pass a Federal Budget, (4 years delayed and continuing)so economic factors would have some idea of what the hell is going on. How about some real immigration reform that doesn't spit in the face of millions of legal immigrant who paid their money,jumped through hoops and did it the legal way. Instead of contorting law to reward 11-30 million, (who even knows how many there really are) Illegal, yes Illegal Immigrants , who broke the law, who will for the most part collect, far more from SS and other benefits, than they are paying in. Yes, we are STEALING from them at the moment, maybe we need to fix that too! Those with fake SS numbers, are paying into a system, they currently cannot collect from, that's not fair either.

How about some semblance of Foreign Policy, perhaps we should send more weapons to Egypt, now that they are courting Iran. Nah lets support Syrian Freedom Fighters. Oh by the way who are they exactly??, Lets send them weapons anyway. Exactly how are we helping the Middle East? It's nice to see Iraq turned out so well, oh wait... yeah that's right, their courting Iran too. Oh well it's only 1.4 trillion dollars of US taxpayer money poured down the drain, so Iran and China can gain domination in the Middle East. Any illusions of how Afghanistan is turning out?? Maybe we should drone some more countries, because that really makes friends. Perhaps our ally Pakistan, can help, they helped us find Osama bin Laden after all.

Perhaps, politicians should pay attention to their jobs and take care of the big things, before they decide to make 120 million, American, tax paying citizens, felons overnight, so in their next TV interview they say they did something "meaningful" about the non existent "Assault Weapon Problem"

After all isn't Government regulation, interference, and money the answer for everything? Everyday, we all see how that turns out.

Respectfully
    XXXXXXXXX
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Re: Washington state legislative hearing Feb 13th:

I opted for something a little more brief, but I agree with the sentiments. Emails sent and thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my Motorola on a very tiny keyboard. Awkward autocorrects are not unexpected.

Wish I could be there!
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up. I was there Friday for the rally and took the opportunity then to wander in and have a few words with my representative. His background is in law enforcement and he is not in favor of any more restrictions of any kind. I look forward to speaking with him again in the near future.

I missed my rep to the State Senate as she was off somewhere but I took the time to speak to her aid. He told me she too is against any more restrictions, so that is all good as far as it goes. By that I mean politicians seem to be able and willing to change their spots at will, so I look forward to holding her feet to the fire if I can.

I was hoping not to have to make another trip there so soon, but this looks like it may be even more important than the rally. If only it weren't happening so early in the morning, Sigh!

I emailed my district's reps and told them in one paragraph that if they endorse any new anti-gun legislation I will do everything I legally can to make sure they are not re-elected. Seems straightforward enough!
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Sponsored Links