Wall Street Journal article

This is a discussion on Wall Street Journal article within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was not at all what I thought it would be...it's mostly supportive of gun rights: David Rivkin and Andrew Grossman: Gun Control and the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: Wall Street Journal article

This was not at all what I thought it would be...it's mostly supportive of gun rights:

David Rivkin and Andrew Grossman: Gun Control and the Constitution - WSJ.com

VIP Member
    At bottom, the Constitution requires sensible and effective regulation of guns that respects and upholds this most fundamental right. Policies motivated by nothing more than discomfort with firearms, often born of a lack of experience, fall far short.
    While I disagree with the bolded part it is a very pro gun article.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    While I disagree with the bolded part it is a very pro gun article.
    Same here. Not only does the Constitution NOT "require sensible and effective regulation of guns", it explicitly PROHIBITS regulation of guns. Period.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

The 5-4 Supreme Court decisions on recent 2A items show that so much is hanging by a thread.
    I enjoyed the article, but the author seemed a bit overly-optimistic.
    I hope he's right.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    This was not at all what I thought it would be...it's mostly supportive of gun rights:

David Rivkin and Andrew Grossman: Gun Control and the Constitution - WSJ.com

The Wall Street Journal is a conservative right-leaning paper... I would expect it from them... I would also expect the authors of the article would understand that regulated, as in "At bottom, the Constitution requires sensible and effective regulation of guns..." Is not the same as the definition of regulated in the Amendment...

Regulated as used in the Constitution meant to put in good order... not to restrict through regulations.
    BugDude likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    The 5-4 Supreme Court decisions on recent 2A items show that so much is hanging by a thread.
    I enjoyed the article, but the author seemed a bit overly-optimistic.
    I hope he's right.
    I understand your concern... but the SCOTUS, no matter the makeup, is reluctant to overturn itself... always has been... It will "refine" parts of a law not yet decided... for now, common use, and individual right, and militia weapon, are our friends.
    BugDude likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The Wall Street Journal is a conservative right-leaning paper... I would expect it from them... I would also expect the authors of the article would understand that regulated, as in "At bottom, the Constitution requires sensible and effective regulation of guns..." Is not the same as the definition of regulated in the Amendment...

Regulated as used in the Constitution meant to put in good order... not to restrict through regulations.
    FYI: The editorial page of "The Wall Street Journal" is conservativwe, but the news is liberal. They actually have to keep separate offices because they do not get along.

Sponsored Links