Bill O'Reilly wants gun registration and ban AR-15's

This is a discussion on Bill O'Reilly wants gun registration and ban AR-15's within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I watched O'Reilly on David Letterman last night. He brought up gun control and said that what the Obama administration wants to do will make ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Bill O'Reilly wants gun registration and ban AR-15's

Bill O'Reilly wants gun registration and ban AR-15's

I watched O'Reilly on David Letterman last night. He brought up gun control and said that what the Obama administration wants to do will make no difference. (I agree) He said the only path to less gun violence is to register each gun to an owner. When a criminal is caught with a gun and doesn't have a registration or it's a stolen gun they get 30 years and the courts MUST enforce it.

He went on to say...that the types of guns people own should be regulated state by state. For example, "no one in New York has a need to own an AR-15" so he is "all for banning the Ar-15 there". However, if you live near a border town where you have drug runners who have AK's you should be allowed to own an AR-15 for self defense but only certain areas.

As I've said before that everyone is blaming Obama and the Democrats for this current gun regulation. Stop claiming that 'they' are on track with their 'secret agenda' to take guns away when you have the biggest mouth on FOX news telling his right wing audience that he too is in favor of banning certain guns and calling for registration.

Don't kid yourself...the right wing is pushing for more gun control just as much as the left.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Don't kid yourself...the right wing is pushing for more gun control just as much as the left.
    You may be right. Honestly, I'm really not sure where the Republican party stands these days. I'm not sure they represent 'the right' anymore.

Bill's been breathing his own fumes for way too long. Just because he's slightly right of Nancy Pelosi, doesn't make him a conservative. He's out there with Piers Morgan to me.

Re: Bill O'Reilly wants gun registration and ban AR-15's

He is old and stupid. Just like all the politicians save a few.

I don't watch him and I sure don't agree with him on many topics. He is ignorant of the subject most of the time.

The only thing that he said that even makes any sense is mandatory enforcement of the law. We know many times the law is bent or ignored by the feds.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    As I've said before that everyone is blaming Obama and the Democrats for this current gun regulation. Stop claiming that 'they' are on track with their 'secret agenda' to take guns away when you have the biggest mouth on FOX news telling his right wing audience that he too is in favor of banning certain guns and calling for registration.

While I agree that there are a number of Repubs that are on board with gun control, I don't think it's accurate to say that they are equally guilty or act to the same degree. There are far more liberal Dems actively trying to create new gun laws then there are Repubs that will support such attempts. And there are plenty of Repubs that are working to enact laws, on the state level, that safeguard the Second Amendment. How many liberal legislators have brought up state legislation that seeks to nullify any federal AWB or mag cap laws?

I think we absolutely must watch every single law maker like a hawk, but I'm not willing to say that the right wing is just as guilty of these actions against our Second Amendment. If they were, our rights would already be gone.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

...O'Reilly doesn't know anything about some subjects...but he opines on them anyways...
    Spirit51, NCSoxFan and Tzadik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...O'Reilly doesn't know anything about some subjects...but he opines on them anyways...
    Agree! I wrote him a few weeks ago and asked him to define the "Heavy Weapons" that he was talking about. I told him it was a made-up term like the anti's use of assault rifle. He has not changed his tone about gun control , but has not talked about Heavy Weapons. Don't know if he even read my email, but maybe he is starting to learn about these things. If people get a chance, email Bill O'Reilly since he does have a fairly large audience.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    Agree! I wrote him a few weeks ago and asked him to define the "Heavy Weapons" that he was talking about. I told him it was a made-up term like the anti's use of assault rifle. He has not changed his tone about gun control , but has not talked about Heavy Weapons. Don't know if he even read my email, but maybe he is starting to learn about these things. If people get a chance, email Bill O'Reilly since he does have a fairly large audience.
    You are correct. My in-laws forced me to watch him one evening back when the ban discussion first came up. At the time, he didn't know the diff between semi auto/full auto, insisted guns should have only hunting purposes, etc.. He appears to have attempted to educate himself a tiny bit since then, but ignorance never stops him from blathering.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Typical (notice I didn't say all, just typical) northeastern city dweller (or west coast liberal). His perspective is if he doesn't want one, then you don't need one.
    ErnieNWillis and ElkSniper like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

O'Reilly is a populist, very quick to trade principles for ratings. He's on Letterman's show hoping to pick up a few more left-leaning viewers.
    Brass63 likes this.

He is not alone. Many gun owners don't think folks need Defensive Self Loading Rifles. When folks don't own one and don't want one there is a chance they don't mind if they take yours. Granted some folks have put a little though into the subject and you will not hear them blather like an idiot about something they have no knowledge of. Just like many of us cringe when hear about a state passing a law that infriges on rights of folks that live in that state. We are just glad it does not effect us.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Bill O'Reily blathering about a subject he knows nothing about?! Say it ain't so! Bill O'Reily cares about one thing and one thing only. Bill O'Reily. He was a bafoon when I leaned left and now that I lean right I still find him to be a bafoon. I've seen a lot of TV personalities who are full of themselves but this guy takes the cake.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I stopped watching him after the first time he had Juan Williams on his show.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

What a mess.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Bill O'Reily is like anyone else in the US.. he can believe what ever he wants! The more he or any one else is on TV the less I care what they believe.

To his point... my neighbors have AK's and AR's... so I need them too!

Here's the video if anyone is interested in watching. It seems to me perhaps he's taking a dangerous path, especially when he has such a large audience on Fox News. I've watched him tear apart leftist anti-gun folks on his show, I don't know what the heck he was thinking in this interview but it's clear he's pandering to whatever audience he's in front of. However you slice it, he's not someone I wanna put my faith in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smLfve_nyHE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links