CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons

This is a discussion on CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You and your officers are armed Chief. Your words are hypocrisy....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons

You and your officers are armed Chief. Your words are hypocrisy.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

2. Remove Ads

Well he is from Cali. LAPD seem to think their weapons are for offence. Like shooting newspaper carriers and folks on little blue trucks.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Unsurprising, being from California ... the land where "to protect one's very life" does not constitute a good and valid reason for being granted a CHL by the hirelings.

To the numnuts "chief" who claims that "A gun is not a defensive weapon. Police officers do not carry a gun as a defensive weapon, to defend themselves and their other officers."

Perhaps yours don't. Thankfully, the sheriff's deputies and police officers where I live do exactly that ... back each other up defensively when needed, defend each other and other citizens when necessary in volatile, dangerous situations. Yours might well not. Good for you. I'm sure you're very proud.

And criminals certainly don't use weapons as part of their nefarious violent activities in a defensive manner, that's obvious.

But citizens who are just trying to go about their business most definitely carry such weapons to be used in defense of their lives against predators who seek to harm them. In each and every case like this, defensive weaponry has a valid and life-saving place. It's only in the hands of criminals (and, apparently, in the hands of police in Emeryville) where firearms aren't used defensively.

Suggestion: go back to baking bread or darning socks, pal, 'cause you're a threat to the People when you are hired by them only to claim they have no legitimate defensive need for weapons in the face of violent criminal predators that exist amongst us.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Joe Biden isn't going to like this guy challenging his role of provider of idiotic public anouncements regarding firearms.

_RDC4405.jpg

If we took this idiot, and combined him with the Chicago idiot Chief, we'd have a complete jackass.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 12th, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    If we took this idiot, and combined him with the Chicago idiot Chief, we'd have a complete jackass.
    He should run for Congress.

Run, paddy, run.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^

AS A COP MYSELF, I can honestly say that is the most idiotic, hypocritical, line of bovine excrement that I've heard from a LE official in....forever!

NOT A DEFENSIVE WEAPON?!?!?!?
    I guess when I had to shoot the dog off my leg, it wasn't defensive.
    I guess when I almost shot the kid pulling a gun out of his pocket, it wasn't defensive.
    I guess when I covered an armed suicidal suspect during 2 standoff events this past fall while my partner was talking him down, it wasn't defensive.
    I guess when we do felony stops and have our guns drawn in case the idiot comes out shooting, its not defensive.
    I guess when I catch a burglar and hold him at gunpoint in case he draws a gun or knife or comes at me with a blunt object, its not defensive.
    When I'm off duty while out and about, and a dirtbag attacks me, my family or any innocent 3rd party, or they try to come into my house when I'm home, my firearm(s) will definitely be DEFENSIVE!!!!!

Chief needs to go back and study a LOT of things about being a cop and quit being a political soundboard.
    and he needs to think about the terms he uses before he spews the junk out of his mouth........
    defensive per Webster's:
    1. serving to defend or protect
    2. devoted to resisting or preventing aggression or attack
    synonyms: protective, self-protective

hmmmm....sounds to me like the description of a firearm or other tool used to stay alive or stop an attacker

I guess my avatar sort of applies...mine must be defective because they are ALL for defensive purposes

Hey chief, we don't need more laws, more regulations, more BS red tape. What we need is for dirtbags to get put away, stop slapping their wrists, and to let people have the freedom to defend themselves with defensive weapons like FIREARMS whether they are inside their house, at work, walking down the street, or at the store.
    You say your officers are encountering 1.5 guns a day....well there are dirtbag criminals to go along with those guns (unless you are counting interaction with law-abiding citizens that are armed, which you probably are to slant things towards your anti-gun agenda). The dirtbags are the cause of the violence...not the gun. Go after the criminals, not the tool or method they use in producing their violence.
    Last edited by 64zebra; February 12th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
    TVJ, Naufragia, ohiorobp and 10 others like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Please check him for a wine bottle............
    F350 likes this.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    The only scenario I can think of where a cop uses his/her gun in a somewhat offensive manner is during a raid of some sort. Even then, they are only used (fired) if a threat is encountered that requires a deadly force response, which would still make it defensive, right? The only example I can think of where a cop used his firearm in a truly offensive manner is the guy recently who is currently a fugitive. Is there any legal scenario where a firearm would be used offensively?
    That guy is not a cop. Was isnt is.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

AS A COP MYSELF, I can honestly say that is the most idiotic, hypocritical, line of bovine excrement that I've heard from a LE official in....forever!

I guess when I almost shot the kid pulling a gun out of his pocket, it wasn't defensive.
    I guess when I covered an armed suicidal suspect during 2 standoff events this past fall while my partner was talking him down, it wasn't defensive.
    I guess when we do felony stops and have our guns drawn in case the idiot comes out shooting, its not defensive.
    I guess when I catch a burglar and hold him at gunpoint in case he draws a gun or knife or comes at me with a blunt object, its not defensive.
    When I'm off duty while out and about, and a dirtbag attacks me, my family or any innocent 3rd party, or they try to come into my house when I'm home, my firearm(s) will definitely be DEFENSIVE!!!!!

Chief needs to go back and study a LOT of things about being a cop and quit being a political soundboard.
    and he needs to think about the terms he uses before he spews the junk out of his mouth........
    defensive per Webster's:

I guess my avatar sort of applies...mine must be defective because they are ALL for defensive purposes

Hey chief, we don't need more laws, more regulations, more BS red tape. What we need is for dirtbags to get put away, stop slapping their wrists, and to let people have the freedom to defend themselves with defensive weapons like FIREARMS whether they are inside their house, at work, walking down the street, or at the store.
    You say your officers are encountering 1.5 guns a day....well there are dirtbag criminals to go along with those guns (unless you are counting interaction with law-abiding citizens that are armed, which you probably are to slant things towards your anti-gun agenda). The dirtbags are the cause of the violence...not the gun. Go after the criminals, not the tool or method they use in producing their violence.
    What can I say, man? Great post.

Re: CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons

A weapon is both defensive and offensive. It depends on the users intent....

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

defensive per Webster's:

hmmmm....sounds to me like the description of a firearm or other tool used to stay alive or stop an attacker

Outstanding! Outstanding! Just an outstanding post good sir. Well put and flat out truthful.
    Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Pure Male Bovine Manure!

Another sign of our great public educational system!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

They must of had a sale on surplus General Stars at the local Military Surplus store,Where do these idiots get off thinking that all that swag makes them look important
    pittypat21 and Curt58 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not the first time we've heard FROM the police that they carry firearms to Intimidate the populace.
    Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank

I think I'm just going to take them at their word as to why they are doing it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links