CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons

This is a discussion on CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tell him to give up his or shut the H up....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons

Tell him to give up his or shut the H up.
    goldmaster likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    So his officers only carry guns to assault people?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Boyntonstu View Post
    Is the world going crazy???

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    California police chief: The idea that a gun is a defensive weapon is a ?myth? | WashingtonExaminer.com

California police chief: The idea that a gun is a defensive weapon is a ‘myth’

California Police Chief Ken James insisted earlier this month that the idea of a gun as a “defensive weapon” was a “myth.” Speaking at a news conference about gun control with California lawmakers, James explained that he was concerned with the amount of weapons owned by American citizens.

“One issue that always boggles my mind is that the idea that a gun is a defensive weapon,” James said. “That is a myth. A gun is not a defensive weapon.”

James is the Police Chief of Emeryville, California and the Police Chief Association’s Firearms Committee Chairman.

“A gun is an offensive weapon used to intimidate and show power,” he asserted, explaining to the audience that police officers don’t carry weapons to defend themselves, but to do their job in a “safe and effective manner.
    So, then by definition they are defending against the unsafe, therefore, it is a defensive weapon. That, or all of his officers are walking around shooting folks....dumb gun grabber.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Wow. This really is too stupid for words--his officers don't carry weapons to defend themselves?? Really?? How does just carrying an open firearm make one "safe" or "more effective" in doing their job? Do his officers know that their guns aren't for defense? I mean, that could be an issue if the know they're not supposed to defend themselves, they might even get into trouble if they use them in that manner.

Seems to me Emeryville needs a new police chief, this one's too stupid to lead.

This guy's 'effective leadership' is a myth.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll agree with him. In a defensive situation, a gun is an offensive solution. A defensive solution would be to run or hide. Anything that challenges the opposing force is by nature offensive. Does Chief James also feel "self defense" as in martial arts is a misnomer? By strict definition it is. Do his officers carry guns for defense? Heck no. they carry them for the same reason anyone does. It is to have the option of an offensive solution.

Those who either are incapable of defending an overpowering threat or don't desire to accept the risks of failure should have an offensive solution. Most of us choose to walk away, avoid conflict in the first place but as a last resort, we have our offensive solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyntonstu View Post
    Is the world going crazy???

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    California police chief: The idea that a gun is a defensive weapon is a ?myth? | WashingtonExaminer.com

California police chief: The idea that a gun is a defensive weapon is a ‘myth’

California Police Chief Ken James insisted earlier this month that the idea of a gun as a “defensive weapon” was a “myth.” Speaking at a news conference about gun control with California lawmakers, James explained that he was concerned with the amount of weapons owned by American citizens.

“One issue that always boggles my mind is that the idea that a gun is a defensive weapon,” James said. “That is a myth. A gun is not a defensive weapon.”

James is the Police Chief of Emeryville, California and the Police Chief Association’s Firearms Committee Chairman.

“A gun is an offensive weapon used to intimidate and show power,” he asserted, explaining to the audience that police officers don’t carry weapons to defend themselves, but to do their job in a “safe and effective manner.”
    Yeah Chief......Keeep thinking that way. Matter of fact, is YOUR DEPARTMENTS' WEAPONS Defensive or OFFENSIVE?????????????? 'Splain that Lucy.... Opps "Chief".........Becha the California type guns are strickly Defensive.
    Must be making them outta a different mixture of "safe and effective" materials.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

To put this guy in perspective, Emeryville, CA is about 2 sq miles in size and has a population to about 10,000. I am so impressed with his stature as a chief.

My CC instructor was a LEO. I was very curious going into my class because everything I read would lead you to believe that the cops are dead set against CC. During a break I broached this subject with him and he laughed. He said the cops are thrilled that you are carrying but by the time people rise to positions like Chief they are no longer cops, they are politicians. I told him, you can stop right there... you don't have to say any more. We had a good laugh about it.

This guy should be fired if he is so stupid that he thinks his officers' weapons are to be used to intimidate and show power. If he is just blowing smoke he should be fired for being a deceitful piece of...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Tell him to give up his or shut the H up.

Exactly...then he should give up his Gun.

What a shining example of strupidity.

Open mouth, insert foot.

The Greatest Offense is the Best Defense? Isn't that the point of carrying?

Saying that the Police can protect you from bad people is a myth. We are on our own.
    Darrow75 and pittypat21 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

And I guess he got that prescription for the pot he's obviously smoking for his glaucoma too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links