CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons - Page 5

CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons

This is a discussion on CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Already running; http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...e-weapons.html...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons

VIP Member
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Wow,just wow. That guy is something I can't say here on the forum.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Brandishing: A wonderful way to get people to comply. So many things to say regarding his perspective, so little time.
    Naufragia likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

It would seem that chief 'know it all' just set-up his officers and city for a lawsuit should they have to use deadly force since a gun, as he stated, is an offensive weapon and not defensive. Most states have a defense clause for homicide, so how is his city attorney's going to argue the officers were defending themselves or others with a gun when it is not a defensive weapon. Logic would seem to be that to execute a defense, you need to use a defensive weapon. Seriously, did he really think this through before he decided to jump on a bandwagon? I also like the useless statistics of 1.5 guns being encountered. I never found 0.5 of a gun back in the day. It was always all there.

I just wonder if he didn't expose all of the other departments since he was speaking on behalf of a chief's association representing the collective group in his statements. I think if I were one of the other chief's or city attorneys, I would be getting some distance between that statement any my department/city. Videos like that always seem to find their way into a courtroom.
    Cokeman and 64zebra like this.

OK, I can conform to his way of thinking.....Ah hem, I don't carry my firearm for defensive purposes. I carry my firearm under a CCW license so that I can carry on with my life in a safe and effective manner.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Gee... he was so well spoken he almost convinced me!
    You can tell he is no public speaker, neither in delivery OR content.
    64zebra likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Simple he has a weapon, you should not he is safe you are not life is good in his eyes.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Police chief's are extension of the mayor politically. They parrot what the mayor says. If you want the true answer, talk to the LEO on the street.
    Not in my town, he works at the pleasure of the town manager per the town charter. Keeps the politics from interfering with his duties. I have to laugh when I look at his uniform, four stars on each shoulder to command a department of 16 or less sworn officers. Looks to me like he needs a shave and a haircut.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post

Well. All of this is news to me.
    I like how all of them have the "don't mess with me look" on their faces. They all must use their guns for intimidation. True badasses!
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Their side needs to re-read the script and rehearse in unison. The Department of Homeland Security calls full-auto AR-type carbines "personal defense weapons," and they respect them so much they put out an RFQ for 7000 of them last June. I guess Chief Bozo didn't get the memo.

Who Needs an AR-15?
    Naufragia and oneshot like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

WOW!!! Can you say "Puppet"? This guy has soooo many strings attached to him, even just getting dressed in the morning must be a beach.

Outside of sport & recreation, good guys tend to use their (legal) guns defensively, while bad guys tend to use their (illegal) guns offensively ... it is simply a matter of who is holding the gun.

The "Chief" may want to re-examine his department's mission statement, and as to how his officers are using theirs. I guess they defend no one, not even each other.
    64zebra likes this.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

"One issue that always boggles my mind is the idea that a gun is a defensive weapon."
    Small minds boggle easily. So do those of liberty-haters who are facing those who don't (boggle easily).

To anyone who's been forced to defend one's own life against attempts to take it, there's nothing more valuable at the moment than good defensive tools ... offensive though that might be to the violent perpetrators making the attempt.

The awful (no doubt calculated) part of his plan, though, is that the ignorant and deluded will buy into the concept that since there's no such thing as "defensive weapons" then no legitimate need to have them can exist. In practice, he'd prefer an unarmed, defenseless citizenry.
    By any other name, he's a tyrant with clothing, badge and weaponry paid for by us, those who hired him.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

CA Police Chief Says Guns Are Not Defensive Weapons

I had occasion to view the video last night - laughable, at best.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

If they are not defensive weapons I guess his officers do not need them.
    F350 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Well. All of this is news to me.
    In fact, during the selection process for the pistol now issued to the U.S. Armed Forces (I was in charge of the holster development), the pistol was/is titled a "PDW": personal defense weapon. So I reckon this Chief is well off the mark, when forces far greater than his (literally) consider a handgun a "defensive", not an "offensive" tool.
    Naufragia, Cokeman and F350 like this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links