National Association of Gun Rights??

This is a discussion on National Association of Gun Rights?? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone heard of this organization? I keep getting emails from them and they have a non profit website as far as I can tell. ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 3 Post By michaelpthompso

Thread: National Association of Gun Rights??

Has anyone heard of this organization? I keep getting emails from them and they have a non profit website as far as I can tell. Any info appreciated.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

National Association of Gun Rights ("NAGR") and Rocky Mountain Gun Owners ("RMGO") are related organizations and run by the same folks.

Our Senior Staff

Dudley Brown, Executive Vice President - (click for his Wikipedia entry) has been a professional gun rights lobbyist since 1993. He serves as the CEO of two non-profit groups, the National Association for Gun Rights and Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, Colorado’s largest gun rights organization.

He and his wife, Jody, live in Northern Colorado and enjoy shooting, working at their Christian church, and raising their two children. The Brown family takes the Second Amendment seriously and celebrates it as a right, a hobby, a means of family bonding, and source of pride.

Brown has worked for the United State Senate, Congressional campaigns, and hundreds of state legislative campaigns. He founded RMGO (Home - Colorado's No-Compromise Gun Rights Organization - Rocky Mountain Gun Owners) in 1996 as a no-compromise gun rights lobby concentrating on Colorado, and joined NAGR (www.nationalgunrights.org) in 2006.

Brown has appeared as a guest on Fox News, Hannity & Colmes (numerous times), CNBC’s Geraldo Rivera, the NBC Nightly News, and literally hundreds of electronic and print media outlets

He is a certified Firearms Instructor, and own dozens of firearms, including family heirlooms and legally registered machine guns.

Luke O’Dell, Director of Operations – Luke O’Dell attended Colorado State University and was active in Student Government.

Before signing on with NAGR, O’Dell was the Executive Director of the Republican Study Committee of Colorado, the conservative caucus of the Colorado General Assembly. O’Dell also worked as Field Director for Congresswoman Marilyn Musgrave’s successful 2006 re-election campaign.

O’Dell is a certified firearms instructor. He lives in Northern Colorado and enjoys shooting, hockey and studying history.
    You'll get a lot of varied opinions about them, as well as NRA and GOA and JPFO but in our environment today, I support them ALL.

We are under attack, and they are in the front lines. Like them or not, they all are in the trenches.
    dV8r and jem102 like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I checked out their website and it looks good. I'm surprised that with the huge debate about gun control going on right now, I have never heard of them before.

They arent to pro NRA and if what they email me about some of NRA A rated politicos is true I dont blame em but I support em all too.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    They may well for all I know, or don't know, be a worthy organization. I just want to comment on
    one line by the OP. "and they have a non profit website."

"Non profit" doesn't necessarily mean what most folks think it does. There are many
    so called non-profit organizations in which the main focus is making a living or extra bucks for
    the founders or leaders. It also doesn't necessarily mean that donations are tax deductible. The non-profit
    has to apply for that status with IRS. I know this from having served for several years on the Board of
    Directors of a small non-profit. The Directors and the founder were constantly at each other because
    board members had one vision for the organization-- to be a charity-- and the founder had a different
    vision, which was to divert donated funds to his pockets. In one instance a man died and left us
    a gift of 60,000. Somehow 30K of that found its way to the founder's wallet. Half the Board of Directors
    quit, including myself.

So please be careful about any 'non-profit' you might wish to donate to. Make certain the donation
    is going to be tax deductible, and check to make sure that the donations the organization get actually go
    to the purpose of the organization. In very many cases, they don't, or they may appear to be used for the
    organization's purpose but go to inflated salaries for the founder or for the CEO or President, whatever the
    title happens to be.

Just a word to the wise. With charity donations a good way to check if they are legit is to see if
    they are on the list of organizations supported by The United Way.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Good advice from Hopyard. I know a local guy here that runs a HUD housing non-profit. 'Sounds really charitable right? He pays himself 500k a year.

The problem is that everybody has their hand out. I don't have time to vet them all. I give through my church & the NRA.
    dV8r likes this.

NRA's stance on NAGR

I asked NRA-ILA about NAGR and got this response:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the "National Association for Gun Rights" (NAGR). We have looked into NAGR and found that they are not registered as federal lobbyists with the U.S. Congress, nor are they registered as lobbyists in the state of Virginia, where they are located. We are unaware of any lobbying efforts on the part of NAGR to work directly with legislators to influence legislation either in the states or at the federal level. NRA makes no judgment on the "legitimacy" of NAGR, but we can assure you that NAGR is not in any way affiliated with NRA, nor does it work in conjunction with NRA.

My plan is to continue supporting NRA, because they are a proven effective lobbying organization. I don't hear any anti-gun politicians complaining about NAGR. It's NRA that they fear. I like that, so my money is on NRA only. Just my personal opinion. Nothing personal against NAGR.

I am a member of NAGR and I support them fully. They are more of a grass-roots organization than a lobbyist like NRA. NRA has to cut deals with legislators and compromise to try to accomplish their goals. That means they accept things that are not necessarily acceptable to us in hopes of making some progress in other areas. NAGR (and RMGO here in Colorado) take a different approach. They mobilize citizens to contact their own legislators, rather than lobbying them directly. This means they don't have to compromise or cut deals. I suppose both ways have their advantages, but remember, NRA was willing to cooperate on background checks, which failed because of no-compromise legislators like Rand Paul and grassroots lobbying by constituents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Ghost1958, blitzburgh and jem102 like this.

IST OF TRAITORS
    Over the weekend, we came seven votes away from the United States Senate giving our Constitutional rights over to the United Nations. In a 53-46 vote, the senate narrowly passed a measure that will stop the United States from entering into the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty.
    The Statement of Purpose from the bill read:
    To uphold Second Amendment rights and prevent the United States from entering into the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty.
    The U.N. Small Arms Treaty, which has been championed by the Obama Administration, would have effectively placed a global ban on the import and export of small firearms. The ban would have affected all private gun owners in the U.S., and had language that would have implemented an international gun registry on all private guns and ammo.
    Astonishingly, 46 of our United States Senators were willing to give away our Constitutional rights to a foreign power.
    Here are the 46 senators that voted to give your rights to the U.N.

Baldwin (D-WI)
    Baucus (D-MT)
    Bennet (D-CO)
    Blumenthal (D-CT)
    Boxer (D-CA)
    Brown (D-OH)
    Cantwell (D-WA)
    Cardin (D-MD)
    Carper (D-DE)
    Casey (D-PA)
    Coons (D-DE)
    Cowan (D-MA)
    Durbin (D-IL)
    Feinstein (D-CA)
    Franken (D-MN)
    Gellibrand (D-NY)

Harkin (D-IA)
    Hirono (D-HI)
    Johnson (D-SD)
    Kaine (D-VA)
    King (I-ME)
    Klobuchar (D-MN)
    Landrieu (D-LA)
    Leahy (D-VT)
    Levin (D-MI)
    McCaskill (D-MO)
    Menendez (D-NJ)
    Merkley (D-OR)
    Mikulski (D-MD)
    Murphy (D-CT)
    Murray (D-WA)
    Nelson (D-FL)

Reed (D-RI)
    Reid (D-NV)
    Rockefeller (D-WV)
    Sanders (I-VT)
    Schatz (D-HI)
    Schumer (D-NY)
    Shaheen (D-NH)
    Stabenow (D-MI)
    Udall (D-CO)
    Udall (D-NM)
    Warner (D-VA)
    Warren (D-MA)
    Whitehouse (D-RI)
    Wyden (D-OR

People this needs to go viral. These Senators voted to let the UN take our guns. They need to lose the election. We have been betrayed. These
    46 Senators Voted to Give your 2nd Amendment Constitutional Rights to the U.N.

The non profit thing is correct. I would know because my wife and I founded one in memory of our late son to help seriously ill children. There are 501 c3s 4s etc. The IRS determines if donations are tax deductible or not depending.

While it is certainly legal for a non profit to pay its staff as Im quite sure NRA and other big non profits do, a lot of smaller outfits do not. Ours which I wont plug here is volunteer from the President {me} at the top to bottom with no officer staff member nobody getting paid anything at all.

That is however not the usual rule with the larger organizations.

NAGR is run by one Dudley Brown. NAGR contributed very little money to our Second Amendment rights until the runup to the 2012 elections.

Gun Rights | OpenSecrets

i was present on another website when Dudley Brown told an outright lie and got pummeled.

Scam being run by the National Association for Gun Rights - Page 1 - AR15.COM

Dudley Brown slept at the switch and allowed the tax exempt status of his RMGO organization to expire.

Colorado gun group fails to file with IRS, could be hit with tax bill - The Denver Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bill340 View Post
    LIST OF TRAITORS
    Over the weekend, we came seven votes away from the United States Senate giving our Constitutional rights over to the United Nations.
    This would make a great new thread.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Dudley Brown's War

Dudley Brown's War | 5280

He’s built RMGO and the National Association for Gun Rights (NAGR) into a double-barreled fund-raising machine that bullies anyone who compromises Brown’s pro-gun, anti-abortion, anti-gay agenda. (A favorite showy tactic is driving around in a Pinzgauer, a boxy, big-wheeled Cold War–era Austrian troop truck that Brown calls his “political pain delivery vehicle.”) Says former state Representative B.J. Nikkel, a Larimer County Republican who ran afoul of Brown last year after she voted for civil unions legislation: “He’s a political terrorist and a modern-day charlatan who operates in the shadows and portrays himself as a supposed ‘Christian,’ but he uses the people naive enough to believe him and financially support him.”

He’s also a primary, if almost unrecognized, reason why Democrats, in a little less than a decade, have turned this once-red state a deepening shade of blue.

It turns out this modern-day Machiavelli amasses more influence and income when his party loses than when it wins. By taking out moderate Republicans in primary races, he’s left the GOP with fewer officeholders . . . . . . As Democratic majorities at the state Capitol pass more progressive laws, Brown’s members have begun to literally hit a panic button: the “contribute” links in his organization’s near-constant emails. It’s created a golden opportunity for Brown—and maybe for Democrats, too. Progressive activist Ted Trimpa, an architect of the Colorado Democracy Alliance, says Brown’s nefarious ways have aided his causes . . .

“[Brown] wants us in the minority,” says Nicolais, now a Republican candidate for one of the more competitive state Senate seats in 2014. “For him, it’s mostly about a mailing list.” That’s because whenever he watches a pet issue flame out, Brown knows he’s won: Consider that in the several months it took the gun control bills to go from Democratic proposals to law, the NAGR’s membership numbers exploded. Suddenly, the cash is rolling into Brown’s office faster than his interns can count it, so anyone who concludes he lost because the bills he opposed were passed may simply be looking at the wrong scoreboard.

NAGR's local affiliate organization here in Georgia is called Georgia Gun Owners or GGO for short. They are not doing Georgians any favors here either with regards to helping us regain/expand our carry rights.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    The non profit thing is correct. I would know because my wife and I founded one in memory of our late son to help seriously ill children. There are 501 c3s 4s etc. The IRS determines if donations are tax deductible or not depending.

While it is certainly legal for a non profit to pay its staff as Im quite sure NRA and other big non profits do, a lot of smaller outfits do not. Ours which I wont plug here is volunteer from the President {me} at the top to bottom with no officer staff member nobody getting paid anything at all.

That is however not the usual rule with the larger organizations.
    Good for you. Sadly, as I am sure you know, many non-profits are not quite as socially oriented and morally grounded.

I contributed money and thousands of hours to one until I discovered that the donations were being diverted to
    exorbitant office costs, CEO & office staff payments, and that somehow very little money was going to people who needed to receive our services at reduced cost.

I felt like a dupe when I recognized the game, and was a dupe. Yet, everything was legal.

Folks, please please please be careful when you make donations to non-profits that you find out with some certainty
    the % of money which is actually used for charitable purposes instead of salary and overhead.

It doesn't matter what the purpose of the non-profit. Some are well run, and some are barely disguised scams.

I would never have believed what goes on except that I saw first hand every months when we had our BOD meetings that
    half of us would get frustrated because we couldn't get straight answers and straight accounting. The other half of the board simply trusted anything the founder said and checked on nothing, or worse, voted not to hold the CEO accountable.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Sponsored Links