It looks like Tennessee is going to get a Parking Lot Bill passed!!!!

This is a discussion on It looks like Tennessee is going to get a Parking Lot Bill passed!!!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jem102 The bill does not stop the employer from posting the property...In the state of TN signs carry the weight of law. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: It looks like Tennessee is going to get a Parking Lot Bill passed!!!!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    The bill does not stop the employer from posting the property...In the state of TN signs carry the weight of law.
    The employer can post - meaning you can't carry a concealed handgun on his property. The parking lot bill does not change that. But it does provide that that you can store your gun in your car on the employer's property. It prevents you from being charged with criminal charges if you are caught. Yes, you can be fired, but as it stands now, you could be fired and prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    ...The premise of the bill was to make a legal exception to the signs under the condition of "Safe Commute". This will not accomplish that goal as written so" I" consider it nothing but a ruse by the by the legislature to" burn the rope at both ends."
    But it does make a legal exception. It can't keep your employer from firing you, but you can not be prosecuted by law.

Here's a news report that explains the bill. The the bill removes the criminal penalties - that's a lot better than what we have now.

Let me give you an example. Suppose a teacher, concerned for his/her safety during the commute is debating whether to keep a gun in the car while parked on school property. They realize if they are caught, he/she can not only be fired, but charged with a felony! This bill won't stop you from being fired, but it will prevent you from being charged with a felony which would probably cause your state license to carry a handgun to be revoked. I would much rather deal with my employer than with my employer and the law too. Do you realize what it would cost you to defend yourself against criminal charges?

As is stands right now, a school teacher could not only lose their job, but lose their right to carry a gun too. This bill prevents the person from being charged with a felony and hence, losing the right to carry a gun.

NASHVILLE A House panel on Wednesday quickly advanced a bill that would block employers, businesses, colleges and churches' ability to bar handgun-carry permit holders from storing firearms in vehicles parked on their property.

But the bill's sponsor acknowledges that nothing in the measure would prevent employers from legally firing permit-holding workers who keep guns in their vehicles while on the job.

Rep. Jeremy Faison, R-Cosby, said the Senate-passed bill doesn't protect permit holders from Tennessee's existing "at will" employment law.

That law allows employers to fire, suspend or discipline workers for any reason, good or bad, or for no reason at all.

"We are not going to dictate policy-setting at a business,"
    Faison said in response to a question posed to him during the House Civil Justice Subcommittee.

Faison said "if a business decides to fire someone or to reprimand someone, that is their rule. ... You can fire, this is an at-will state and they'll still be able to do whatever they want with a person who has a gun in their car."

Speaking to reporters later, Faison said, "I would discourage [businesses firing workers] and I hope that businesses won't go that way. I would say if there was an uprising in the state and you started seeing people being fired left and right I wouldn't be surprised if the Legislature revisited it."

But he said, "I don't know of any company who's just eager to go fire their employees. They already know who has guns" and don't do it now.

John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association, quickly sent out an email alert to members after the legislation moved through the panel on a voice vote.

"What will surprise some people is that the bill does not protect the employee's job -- it only removes some criminal penalties," Harris wrote.

Harris said "the law is a Georgia-style law because the employers will retain the ability to fire any employee with cause -- that is, deny you unemployment benefits -- if you are found to be or are even suspected to have a firearm in your car."

In the email's subject line, Harris wrote "Safe Commute -- BUT LOSE YOUR JOB."

Republican Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey brought the bill in an effort to resolve a four-year battle between gun-rights groups and businesses over the original "Safe Commute" bill.

Advocates say the issue is key to them because if lot owners bar legal gun owners from keeping firearms in their locked vehicles, it effectively guts Tennesseans' ability to protect themselves going to and from work or conducting daily activities.

Businesses, college and universities argued the measure infringes on their private property rights and compromise safety efforts.

The original Safe Commute Act, which was backed by the National Rifle Association, applied to all legal owners of guns. Last year's companion measure prevented employers from questioning employees about gun use and ownership and gave them a cause of action to sue employers if fired for having a gun in their vehicle. Neither bill passed.

While employment protection is not in Ramsey and Faison's bill, two measures sponsored by other lawmakers do seek to protect gun-owning employees.

Another difference in Ramsey's bill over last year's NRA bill is that it applies solely handgun-carry permit holders, who undergo criminal background checks and take a day gun-use course to get licensed.

Ramsey's bill also relieves lot owners from legal liability in the event of a shooting.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Other than the vague aspects that jem102 alludes to, I think its great and wish Michigan would get off its butt and protect workers as well, with specific wording in the bill that says an employer CANNOT fire an employee for having a firearm in their lot, in the employees vehicle.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Other than the vague aspects that jem102 alludes to, I think its great and wish Michigan would get off its butt and protect workers as well, with specific wording in the bill that says an employer CANNOT fire an employee for having a firearm in their lot, in the employees vehicle.
    It's not everything that it could be, but it's better than the current situation. If the bill passes, at least we don't have to worry about legal prosecution.
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    The parking lot bill is nice. So is the one that protects firearms made within the state (who aside from Barrett????). So is the one to allow teachers to carry.

But the one I really want to see is the Second Amendment Protection Act. I'm working on a letter to send to all of the State Senators, asking them to consider introducing one. I want for us what Texas and Wyoming have.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

It is a good start. I am amazed that our laws re schools and guns are so much more normal over here. With a CCW permit it is not illegal to carry on campus. May get fired, if employed by school, but not illegal. As I have said before I think it is because they legislative bodies believe no one has a ccw permit.

So Tangle, you hit em with a book and run to your car now according to your "bosses"?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I agree with this bill. The car you own is an extension of your property even if it is on someone else's. However I would NEVER agree with passing a law that forces a privately owned institution to allow something they do not want.

However if a university is publicly funded and owned then by all accounts a bill should be passed forcing the allowance of firearms on campus.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    The parking lot bill is nice. So is the one that protects firearms made within the state (who aside from Barrett????).
    If the bill doesn't get changed by the House, as I understand it, anyone, faculty, students, visitors, with a Handgun Permit can store their guns in the car while on school property.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    It is a good start. I am amazed that our laws re schools and guns are so much more normal over here. With a CCW permit it is not illegal to carry on campus. May get fired, if employed by school, but not illegal. As I have said before I think it is because they legislative bodies believe no one has a ccw permit.
    It is true that one might get fired, but at least we don't have to worry about being charged with a felony. Plus, since the bill would also allow students to leave guns in their cars, the school would be very reluctant to expel students for having a gun in their car, even if it was against school policy because they don't want to lose the money the student represents to the school.

Also, the gun would have to be discovered before any of it matters any way.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    ...So Tangle, you hit em with a book and run to your car now according to your "bosses"?
    LOL! Book? What's a book? I could hit them with my I-pad and run maybe

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    I agree with this bill. The car you own is an extension of your property even if it is on someone else's [property].
    I agree and I think that's generally the way the law sees it too.

...However I would NEVER agree with passing a law that forces a privately owned institution to allow something they do not want.
    Well, I'm conflicted about that. I understand exactly where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree. OTOH, it could be argued that a business should not be able to have a policy that prevents one from exercising a right.

...However if a university is publicly funded and owned then by all accounts a bill should be passed forcing the allowance of firearms on campus.
    Yep!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links