Folks, you can't make stuff like this up!

This is a discussion on Folks, you can't make stuff like this up! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How prepared are you to defend your life? How about waking up to find your family trying to kill you? http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...418&ran=174382 Wife and in-laws charged ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

How prepared are you to defend your life? How about waking up to find your family trying to kill you?

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...418&ran=174382

Wife and in-laws charged with trying to kill Beach police officer
    By STEVE STONE , The Virginian-Pilot
    October 28, 2006

VIRGINIA BEACH - A police officer awoke to find himself under attack in his bedroom early Friday and held off his attempted killers at gunpoint as he called 911 for help.

His assailants were his kin, said Rene Ball, a police spokeswoman.

The officer's wife, her mother and her brother are now charged with attempted murder.

"It's very disturbing," said Ball, who could recall no similar situation.

Ball said dispatchers received a call at 5:58 a.m. from the officer's home in the 3800 block of River Oak Circle.

The officer "requested assistance because he had just been attacked in his sleep by intruders and was holding them at gunpoint," Ball said.

The department is not releasing the officer's name, Ball said, because the case is being handled as a domestic violence incident.

The room was dark when the confrontation began, Ball said, so the officer did not know who was attacking him.

As he waited for help, he turned on the light and "discovered that the intruders were his brother-in-law and mother-in-law," Ball said.

Police arrived in minutes and took the two into custody. They soon arrested the officer's wife as well.

The three were identified as Michelle C. DeAngelis, 33, of the 3800 block of River Oak Circle, her brother, Hanns Peter Herzog, 38; and their mother, Rosemary Elling, 66, both of the 5100 block of Thatcher Way.

All three were charged with attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

They were being held in the city jail without bond.

Ball said investigators quickly learned that the officer's wife had invited the assailants into the home the evening before.

"There, they waited for the officer to arrive home and go to sleep," Ball said.

The officer "sustained an eye injury during the struggle," Ball said, but he was treated at the scene and did not need to be hospitalized.

The 36-year-old officer declined requests to be interviewed.

"This is a very difficult thing for him to have to deal with," Ball said.

"I think he has a pretty good support system here at work," she said. "Officers are praying for him and supporting him in this difficult time."

The couple's two children, whose identities also were not released, remain in the officer's care, Ball said Friday.

The officer, who is assigned to the First Precinct, has been on the force for almost five years, Ball said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Words simply fail me , oh i have plenty , but not approprate for this forum , nor the serious tone and implications of the story .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Holy moley - and they could have shot him in his sleep!!

That cop is one lucky survivor - but surely, somehow - there could been at least some warning signs. Perhaps that was why he was not asleep and had gun handy.

Ya just never know!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Just when you think it's safe to go to sleep in your own locked up house!

Just goes to show, you never know!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

wait...they won't ID the officer, but will ID the perps....gee, can you figure out who the officer is??

Mike in VA

Just a thought.

The wife's mother and brother were helping her. I wonder if this guy was a wife beater or abuser. Being a cop, the family might have been afraid to come forward for fear of retaliation form LEOs and the system.

Probably not the case, but it's an interesting thought. That's no excuse for trying to kill the guy, but I'm trying to figure out why someone would do this. Sometimes things aren't as they seem, usually they are though.

Who knows?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Three People?...

one sleeping cop...they fouled this up...
    Sounds to me like adding up all three of their IQ's together will come in at a total of about 65...maybe that's a little high?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How prepared are you to defend your life? How about waking up to find your family trying to kill you?
    The officer's wife, her mother and her brother are now charged with attempted murder.
    A criminal is a criminal. I'd stop the crime. Wouldn't matter who's doing the attacking. Now, I'd surely feel badly for the person. But most of the love would have evaporated along with 100% of the trust 1sec into the life-threatening portion of the attack. If the reported story is true, then they'll be going inside via the front door, this time. Hmph. All I can suggest to them is: bring the knee pads and a jar of ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Gotta wonder the whole story. No one plans to kill a officer for the heck of it. Other PD would investigate very closely.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

that's pretty damn crazy...

Administrator

Cool

Why do you think I'm awake right now & not sleeping?

Methinks there is probably more to this story that has not been made public as of yet.

Look for a 36 year old officer who "sustained an eye injury" has two children and was assigned to the First Precinct. He has been on the force for almost five years and has the last name DeSantis (Wife's name - has to be married name, because mother's name was Elling and brother was Herzog). His wife is Michelle C. DeAngelis, 33, of the 3800 block of River Oak Circle.

Now I wonder who this officer is and where he lives?

The news can't get any dumber!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Gotta wonder the whole story. No one plans to kill a officer for the heck of it. Other PD would investigate very closely.
    There ya go! Something ain't right here. Why didn't they take his gun before they attacked him? Did they have any weapons, i.e. knife, ball bat, pipe, anything?

Either the attackers are super dumb, and of course that is possible, or there's a lot more to it than what was reported.

I agree with others here, what is the real story? I mean, if they just wanted to "off him" then they went about it in a stupid manner (knowing that he has a firearm).

But, I will wait before I speak until more information comes to light.

Wayne

VIP Member
    ...strange story....and a very fortunate officer (in that he was not killed by the pair).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links