Letter from Kentucky Governor

This is a discussion on Letter from Kentucky Governor within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, just go this letter in the mail and thought I would share it. Dear Mr xxxx: Thank you for contacting me about gun safety ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Letter from Kentucky Governor

Well, just go this letter in the mail and thought I would share it.

Dear Mr xxxx:

Thank you for contacting me about gun safety and ownership in our state. The horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, as well as other high profile incidents, has sparked debate on a national level and throughout the states.
    The current national conversation on gun violence is a good start. I am a hunter and gun owner and a firm supporter of the Second Amendment-- but all of us must be open to ideas when it comes to the safety needs of our families and, most importantly, of our children and schools. Whatever we choose to do about gun violence, it needs to be a national solution, not something piecemeal state by state.

We do need to address our mental health funding issues. Here in Kentucky, we have worked to protect these programs from cuts despite the economic crisis. However, we need to continue to look for ways to get people the care they need so that all communities and families are safe.

It is unfortunate that Kentucky's school safety program, like many others, has suffered because of $1.6 billion cuts the Commonwealth was forced to make due to the severe economic recession. Safety in schools remain a high priority for all of us, including the Kentucky Department of Education. As we look toward future budgets, we will look for opportunities to more fully address many of our needs in education such as professional development, textbooks and the Center for School Safety.

Thank you again for sharing your views on these important issues and please don't hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely, Steven L. Beshear

2. Remove Ads

I mentioned nothing about education or mental health(that was going to be in a future letter). Our officials sometimes puzzle me.

That's why he didn't get my vote.

Kentucky is a super gun friendly state, but seems to embrace democrats on local levels and send Republicans to Washington.

All but one of our Congessmen are pro gun, and both Mitch Mconnell and Rand Paul are Republicans.

I have never understood why we lean democrat friendly in local elections.
    Ghost1958 and BurgerBoy like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Well, just go this letter in the mail and thought I would share it.

"...I am a hunter and gun owner and a firm supporter of the Second Amendment-- BUT..."
    Pretty much says it all right there.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    I mentioned nothing about education or mental health(that was going to be in a future letter). Our officials sometimes puzzle me.
    Don't be confused...there are only two reasons for that reply:

1. He doesn't care enough to read your letter and give a real answer, so some minimum wage button pusher tried to give what he/she/it felt would work.

2. He's an 'anti' who is afraid to address the issue and has his paid help send wishy-washy letters like that.

Either way, it's should be a vote next time around.OMOYMV
    BurgerBoy and cmdrdredd like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This^^^

I didnt vote for him either. What is a little strange is what Glockman10mm said. Local ky votes local democrat and fed Repupblican
    I have one rep that is a democrat but is passionately pro 2a. At least to my memory everyone around here is one or the other because "my pappy was democrat/ republican so I am) My mom was Republican my dad Democrat both about always voted straight ticket. I used to tease them to just save the gas since they just canceled each other out every time.

I hope they pass the bill here to join other states with anti federal enforcement law. I know the bill is introduced for that with quite on board but who knows.
    We have pretty decent gun laws here though.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Whatever we choose to do about gun violence, it needs to be a national solution,"

He just endorsed Big O's agenda. Simple as that. Afraid to think and lead independently. Oh, that's almost exactly what Glockman10mm said. Scary.
    cmdrdredd and glockman10mm like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Looks familiar. Every response from Bill Nelson (our Dem senator) points out he grew up on a farm and is a hunter. I must have missed that "right to hunt and farm" amendment.
    cmdrdredd likes this.

We pray for him every Sunday at my Episcopal Church. Along with Ohio's Gov and WV's one as well. To make the "right" decisions and "right" actions. We will do it this comming Sunday too.

I live very close to Kentucky, about 10 miles away. My step son is in Owensboro and has a KY carry permit. Something tells me however that Mr. Beshear has some "issues" on his gun stance.

Our former Governor, Joe Manchin (D-WV) is now our Senator. His stance on guns is poor. He ran on the ticket of gun friendly but has turned on us something firece. I sent him an e-mail to voice my opposition to his gun stance and he sent a long letter that danced around the issue like Fred Astaire. He is with Obama and gun restriction all the way.

Nick Rahall (D-WV) our guy in the U.S. House wrote me back stating he will oppose any and all legislation to ban guns. So at least he has the right attitude. He thinks that better mental health screening will be the key to stopping gun violence.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I just finished writing him a letter about this issue. We will see if I get the same form letter
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I didn't vote for Beshear either. Mostly because I live in Georgia now, but also because he is a boob.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Don't be confused...there are only two reasons for that reply:

1. He doesn't care enough to read your letter and give a real answer, so some minimum wage button pusher tried to give what he/she/it felt would work.

2. He's an 'anti' who is afraid to address the issue and has his paid help send wishy-washy letters like that.

Either way, it's should be a vote next time around.OMOYMV
    This... Is it just me or do a lot of these letters seem to a) not answer a single question that YOU or I asked b) have that pathetic.. " I'm a hunter and 2 a supporter" line...

Is it just me or have many of our elected officials strayed away from what is important... Their constituents..

RMS
    I didn't vote for Beshear either.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I didn't vote for Beshear either - and I never will.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links