The town of Westford Massachusetts is proposing one of the most restrictive and draconian gun bans that I've seen, including confiscating firearms that you have already legally purchased. The level of overreaction and posturing by politicians seems to have no limit. This is all grandstanding but shows the uneducated sentiments that many have. I think every gun owning citizen of Massachusetts should write a letter (or email) and politely and correctly illustrate why such actions are wrong.
Westford Selectmen want to pass the following Law:
No person shall sell, transfer, or possess any assault weapons, large capacity weapons*, machine guns or large capacity feeding devices, regardless of the date of manufacture, within the Town of Westford.
Any person in lawful possession of any firearm prohibited by this bylaw shall have a period of ninety days from the effective date to lawfully remove it from the town or to surrender possession to the Chief of Police.
*A “large capacity weapon” is ANY firearm that CAN accept a “large capacity feeding device”
What does this mean for YOU?
– Banned: all shotguns which can hold more than 5 rounds
– Banned: all handguns and rifles which can accept a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds.
– This would include most semi automatics regardless of the magazine you are using
– Banned: All magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds
– There will be no grandfathering
– The fines are $100 for first offense, $200 second offense, $300 third offense
– If you are found with any pre ban 17 rounders, you would face $600 in fines
To Learn More: firstname.lastname@example.org