A Warning, especially to my friends here in Massachusetts

This is a discussion on A Warning, especially to my friends here in Massachusetts within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The town of Westford Massachusetts is proposing one of the most restrictive and draconian gun bans that I've seen, including confiscating firearms that you have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: A Warning, especially to my friends here in Massachusetts

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

The town of Westford Massachusetts is proposing one of the most restrictive and draconian gun bans that I've seen, including confiscating firearms that you have already legally purchased. The level of overreaction and posturing by politicians seems to have no limit. This is all grandstanding but shows the uneducated sentiments that many have. I think every gun owning citizen of Massachusetts should write a letter (or email) and politely and correctly illustrate why such actions are wrong.

Westford Selectmen want to pass the following Law:
    No person shall sell, transfer, or possess any assault weapons, large capacity weapons*, machine guns or large capacity feeding devices, regardless of the date of manufacture, within the Town of Westford.

Any person in lawful possession of any firearm prohibited by this bylaw shall have a period of ninety days from the effective date to lawfully remove it from the town or to surrender possession to the Chief of Police.

*A “large capacity weapon” is ANY firearm that CAN accept a “large capacity feeding device”

What does this mean for YOU?
    – Banned: all shotguns which can hold more than 5 rounds

– Banned: all handguns and rifles which can accept a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds.

– This would include most semi automatics regardless of the magazine you are using

– Banned: All magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds

– There will be no grandfathering

– The fines are $100 for first offense, $200 second offense, $300 third offense

– If you are found with any pre ban 17 rounders, you would face $600 in fines

To Learn More: debra@itspersonaltraining.net
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Outrageous, sir - a good reason to move back to South Carolina, a beautiful state.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Re: A Warning, especially to my friends here in Massachusetts

Vote with your feet, move out of town, especially if you rent.

But if you own, offer the house for sale toNYC residents, as retirement property, in a nice, more rural, small town environment....

With the same Communist values they are so accustomed to!
    darbo likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCityChief View Post
    Outrageous, sir - a good reason to move back to South Carolina, a beautiful state.
    When I recently retired (semi), my wife and I considered moving to my home state of South Carolina. But we have so many great friends here in Massachusetts and since my children live here we decided to move to a nice coastal town here in MA. It's a beautiful town and one that is very tolerant of guns (I don't live in Westford). But with recent events, I'm seriously considering making such a move. Lord knows property prices are much lower in SC...very tempting.
    mbguy29577 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

VIP Member
    Twenty-five percent of the US population currently lives under restrictive and/or prohibitive gun laws. At some point, there will be no place left to move. Ironic that the place where an attempted gun grab which started the American Revolution is now at the forefront of initiating the next gun grab. Those who do not learn from history...
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

How is that not in violation of the due process protection of the Constitution? Because "they" say so?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    When I recently retired (semi), my wife and I considered moving to my home state of South Carolina. But we have so many great friends here in Massachusetts and since my children live here we decided to move to a nice coastal town here in MA. It's a beautiful town and one that is very tolerant of guns (I don't live in Westford). But with recent events, I'm seriously considering making such a move. Lord knows property prices are much lower in SC...very tempting.
    Good luck with whatever decision you make, sir. I live in the embattled State of New York, so I know your pain.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

SC is where the wife and I want to move when able to,to get out of the liberal NE nonsense. If my wife could find a similar job and or transfer seniority,we would be gone in a heartbeat.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Back to the OP,how can they say no grandfathering? That's definitely going against the law of the land.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by BigCityChief View Post
    Wrong. Wrong attitude, wrong approach. If this happens it will gradually spread while you have your head in the sand thinking that you are safe. Before you know it, the wolf will be at your door, and you will no longer be able to defend yourself and you will wonder why no one is coming to your defense. The British are coming....
    Mike1956 likes this.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    NY, MA, no difference. Take these laws to court. Get them overturned. Establish precedence. Until someone does, they'll keep on trying.
    BugDude likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    If your Legislators are advocating laws that are unconstitutional...then its time to advocate impeaching them.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by docdozer View Post
    Wrong. Wrong attitude, wrong approach. If this happens it will gradually spread while you have your head in the sand thinking that you are safe. Before you know it, the wolf will be at your door, and you will no longer be able to defend yourself and you will wonder why no one is coming to your defense. The British are coming....
    Except that with each passing day, I am more convinced that there is no winning the Northeast. The people up here are lemmings. I keep writing and educating and fighting, but the media and the politicians are in bed together. The mayors and governors are in power because of the handouts they give to the cities that keep them in office by sheer numbers. And our Republicans are small in number, and many are soft allies.
    Chorizo and BigCityChief like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    The town of Westford Massachusetts is proposing one of the most restrictive and draconian gun bans that I've seen, including confiscating firearms that you have already legally purchased. The level of overreaction and posturing by politicians seems to have no limit. This is all grandstanding but shows the uneducated sentiments that many have. I think every gun owning citizen of Massachusetts should write a letter (or email) and politely and correctly illustrate why such actions are wrong.

Westford Selectmen want to pass the following Law:
    No person shall sell, transfer, or possess any assault weapons, large capacity weapons*, machine guns or large capacity feeding devices, regardless of the date of manufacture, within the Town of Westford.

Any person in lawful possession of any firearm prohibited by this bylaw shall have a period of ninety days from the effective date to lawfully remove it from the town or to surrender possession to the Chief of Police.

*A “large capacity weapon” is ANY firearm that CAN accept a “large capacity feeding device”

What does this mean for YOU?
    – Banned: all shotguns which can hold more than 5 rounds

– Banned: all handguns and rifles which can accept a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds.

– Banned: All magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds

– There will be no grandfathering

– The fines are $100 for first offense, $200 second offense, $300 third offense

– If you are found with any pre ban 17 rounders, you would face $600 in fines

To Learn More: debra@itspersonaltraining.net
    I put two parts in bold. The first seems as if it is a quote of the proposed law. The second
    appears to be speculation by the OP as to what the first part means.

Also, I don't see this "This would include most semi automatics regardless of the magazine you are using"
    within the portion of the law you posted. Is it really there or again, is this speculation on your part?

Do the Selectmen intend or have they actually stated the definition of a "large capacity device" or
    is that understood from somewhere else in MA law?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by docdozer View Post
    The British are already here, but aren't called Tories or loyalists anymore.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links