The Response I Got From One of the Most Anti- In the Senate

This is a discussion on The Response I Got From One of the Most Anti- In the Senate within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sharrod Brown, Senator from Ohio: "Thank you for sending me your comments. Listening to the views of the people I represent in the U.S. Senate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Response I Got From One of the Most Anti- In the Senate

VIP Member

The Response I Got From One of the Most Anti- In the Senate

Sharrod Brown, Senator from Ohio:

"Thank you for sending me your comments. Listening to the views of the people I represent in the U.S. Senate is a critical part of my job. I do my best to provide every Ohioan with a prompt response. If you have an urgent matter, please feel free to call any of my offices in Ohio or Washington, DC.

If you have not done so already, please visit my Senate website (Home | United States Senator Sherrod Brown) for comprehensive information about my work in the Senate, as well as constituent services that my office provides and how to get connected with federal programs.

Or, you may be interested in receiving my e-Newsletters to stay connected with what's happening in Congress of importance to Ohio. Sign up for regular updates on the work I am doing in the Senate, and please select a few issues to get newsletter updates on specific topics as subjects arise. Sign-up here: http://brown.senate.gov/newsletter/landing"
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In other words a non-answer.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

We can only hope next election he wont be there.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    He didn't write me back. Probably because my letter to him wasn't very nice. Too bad he just got re-elected and will be in for 6 more years.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Its always good to know your voice is appreciated by your elected officials, huh?
    oneshot likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Below is the response I got from Senator Brown to an email I sent back in January..... guess I was a little nicer

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and the calls to regulate or ban these items.

From 1994 to 2004, Congress enacted a ban on semi-automatic assault weapons. The bill had three main components. The first section was comprised of a list guns that were banned by name, such as Uzi’s. The second section outlawed the future manufacture and sale of any new semiautomatic weapon with a detachable magazine and more than two of several assault-style features. The third section was an appendix which listed hunting rifles and shotguns that didn’t run afoul of the second section, and thus were exempted from the bill.

In 2011, law enforcement leaders such as Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Back, Oklahoma Police Chief Bill Citty, and Brockton, Massachusetts, Police Captain Emanuel Gomes, all separately discussed how their officers were being outgunned with assault weapons possessed by criminals.

While I have supported restrictions on the possession of semi-automatic assault weapons, and restrictions on the ability of criminals to possess handguns, I do not support an outright ban on guns or arbitrary restrictions on the right of law-abiding citizens to possess guns.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demand that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.

This is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. We can and must act to make such tragedies less likely in the future. Should any legislation concerning a reintroduction of the Assault Weapons Ban come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
    United States Senator

Stay connected with what's happening in Congress. Sign up here for regular updates on the issues you care about the most: E-Newsletter Sign-Up | United States Senator Sherrod Brown

Quote Originally Posted by SWOhio View Post
    Below is the response I got from Senator Brown to an email I sent back in January..... guess I was a little nicer

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and the calls to regulate or ban these items.

From 1994 to 2004, Congress enacted a ban on semi-automatic assault weapons. The bill had three main components. The first section was comprised of a list guns that were banned by name, such as Uzi’s. The second section outlawed the future manufacture and sale of any new semiautomatic weapon with a detachable magazine and more than two of several assault-style features. The third section was an appendix which listed hunting rifles and shotguns that didn’t run afoul of the second section, and thus were exempted from the bill.

In 2011, law enforcement leaders such as Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Back, Oklahoma Police Chief Bill Citty, and Brockton, Massachusetts, Police Captain Emanuel Gomes, all separately discussed how their officers were being outgunned with assault weapons possessed by criminals.

While I have supported restrictions on the possession of semi-automatic assault weapons, and restrictions on the ability of criminals to possess handguns, I do not support an outright ban on guns or arbitrary restrictions on the right of law-abiding citizens to possess guns.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demand that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.

This is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. We can and must act to make such tragedies less likely in the future. Should any legislation concerning a reintroduction of the Assault Weapons Ban come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
    United States Senator

Stay connected with what's happening in Congress. Sign up here for regular updates on the issues you care about the most: E-Newsletter Sign-Up | United States Senator Sherrod Brown
    I got exactly the same letter from him.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

you know i know they get lots of emails but general blanket statements that address nothing about what you wrote is getting lame and old. time for them to take a few min and type up a sincere personal email from time to time.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    This is his reply to me yesterday:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on background checks for firearms owners.

I continue to receive numerous constituent letters voicing opinions on this issue. Gun shows have become a way for criminals and gun traffickers to purchase weapons without a background check and without a record of purchase. Gun sellers at these shows are not always registered the same way as owners of gun shops. This enables people to sell guns to criminals or the mentally unstable without any record being created for law enforcement. The International Association of Chiefs of Police supports improving and expanding the background check process to ensure that registration and background check is conducted for every gun sale.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action. The shocking number of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.

Gun control is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. We can and must act to ensure tragedies like this never happen again.

Should any legislation come before the Senate for a vote, I will keep your views in mind. Thank you again for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
    United States Senator
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    S"Thank you for sending me your comments. Listening to the views of the people I represent in the U.S. Senate is a critical part of my job. I do my best to provide every Ohioan with a prompt response.
    Doing everything possible to break the sworn oath to protect and defend the Constitution, while telling you (a) he's happy to have heard from you and (b) he's willing to gloss over the fact that he's not interested in your concerns that are in conflict with his oath-breaking choices.

"Representation" is a wonderful thing.

Look on the bright side: At least you know where he stands, in no uncertain terms. That's more than some folks can say.
    oneshot likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I live in West Virginia across the Ohio River from your state.I too have e-mailed my Congressional representatives and got a lukewarm response but also a good one. We have ones similar to your Ohio legislators.

Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) is basically on board with the Obama gun control measures but ran for Senate with the idea he would not be for anything Obama wanted. He is a turncoat and I'm being nice about it. He sent me a rambling snail-mail letter in resonse to my e-mail that basically tap danced around the entire issue and never once said he firmly believes in 2A but sort of in a way that was generic. He is trying to make a name for himself and move up in the pecking order of Congress at the expense of gun owners.

Nick Joe Rahall (D-WV) our House of Representative guy sent a nice short to the point letter stating that he would oppose any and all gun restriction or banning legislation because he believes that mental health issues are more to blame for gun violence. I was impressed needless to say.

Shelly Moore Capito (R-WV) the other H. of R. is firmly against any bans or restrictions and has said so publically. She will be seeking the Senate seat that will be vacated by Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)

Rockefeller is not seeking re-election but he is firmly anti gun and there would be no use to even contact him.

This is what we need however, to keep writing our "Representatives" and keep telling them how we feel and how we will vote the next time around.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on background checks for firearms owners.

I continue to receive numerous constituent letters voicing opinions on this issue. Gun shows have become a way for criminals and gun traffickers to purchase weapons without a background check and without a record of purchase. Gun sellers at these shows are not always registered the same way as owners of gun shops. This enables people to sell guns to criminals or the mentally unstable without any record being created for law enforcement. The International Association of Chiefs of Police supports improving and expanding the background check process to ensure that registration and background check is conducted for every gun sale.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
    United States Senator

From post #9 above,

Funny he makes no mention of how many are in support of gun control, and how many of his constituents are gun rights advocates.

Me thinks that the VAST MAJORITY of people contacting him are pro gun.
    Time for all you Ohioans to start thinking of a "new career" for this Bozo.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Mike,
    they're building some reaaaallly nice houses down here close to me. Love to have ya as a neighbor.

dan

VIP Member
    This is what I received from our junior senator from North Carolina; luckily she comes up for reelection in 2014 and I will actively work to support her defeat and removal from office not just on guns but many other issues.

February 13, 2013

Dear Fellow North Carolinian,

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts and opinions. This automatic e-mail is to confirm that my office has received your message. Please be assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible regarding your specific concern. In the meantime, please feel free to visit Kay Hagan | U.S. Senator for North Carolina to find contact information for my offices and information about what I've been doing in North Carolina and Washington.

Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan
    United States Senator, North Carolina
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Everytime I read the lies spread by the anti's I think about the trampling of our rights. More people die from hammers than handguns, it is a FACT. So what do they say to that? I am so sick of "we must act now" crap. NO YOU WE DON'T! Sometimes bad things happen, sometimes mad men kill people, sometimes evil wins. The best we can do is pray for the victims families, offer our help, and protect our own so when and if evil finds US, we can have a chance to live. Isn't THAT what our founding fathers wanted?

I wish someone would just say it "if you are not for the constitution you are a traitor and should be shot"
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links