Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) replies ...mostly good to go, somewhat iffy?

This is a discussion on Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) replies ...mostly good to go, somewhat iffy? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I underlined and bolded the parts I thought we should give attention to. Dear Mr. (tangoseal): I edited that Thank you for writing me regarding ...

Thread: Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) replies ...mostly good to go, somewhat iffy?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) replies ...mostly good to go, somewhat iffy?

I underlined and bolded the parts I thought we should give attention to.

Dear Mr. (tangoseal): I edited that

Thank you for writing me regarding the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

I have always been and remain a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. While I am certain that the president's proposal is well-intentioned, it is Congress' responsibility to make sure that Americans' constitutional rights are protected. We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not unfairly impeded. I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection, is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.

In response to recent tragic and high-profile acts of violence, there is a renewed focus on government regulation of guns. Congress will soon have an extensive and detailed conversation about all of the potential causes of these crimes, including mental health issues, depictions of violence in television, movies, and video games, and firearms.

I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes. As these pieces of legislation come before me in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance to you in the future. In the meantime, if you would like to receive timely e-mail alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov.

------------------------

However I do not like the part where he says "unfairly impeded". I think he understands "shall not be infringed" for the most part but this statement leaves some doubt.

Your takes?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I will also note that he has announced his retirement after this term. He has 4 more years to go I think. I am more worried he is just going to lame duck it and go along for some special benefit no matter how wrong it might be. I do not trust him for what its worth.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

It appears to be a straightforward, pro 2A letter. What part did you consider "iffy?" As for "lame ducking it," why would you feel he will just go along the party line? If he doesn't have to be worried about being re-elected, it seems to me that he would feel more willing to vote his conscience, rather than just going along to get along, which would indicate that what he wrote in his letter to you are his real feelings on the matter and is an accurate indication of the way he will vote. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    It appears to be a straightforward, pro 2A letter. What part did you consider "iffy?" As for "lame ducking it," why would you feel he will just go along the party line? If he doesn't have to be worried about being re-elected, it seems to me that he would feel more willing to vote his conscience, rather than just going along to get along, which would indicate that what he wrote in his letter to you are his real feelings on the matter and is an accurate indication of the way he will vote. Am I missing something?
    He mentions unfairly impeded.. but the 2a says shall not be infringed. Just to say the word fair or unfair means you are willing to compromise on something that is "Shall NOT".

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    He wasn't elected to vote his conscience, he was elected to represent his constituents, and vowed to abide by the Constitution.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    He wasn't elected to vote his conscience, he was elected to represent his constituents, and vowed to abide by the Constitution.
    Once a "SQUISHY", always a squishy. Anything he says, or does, is suspect.

Regards,

Gary

Links