The Devil wrote me back...my senator

This is a discussion on The Devil wrote me back...my senator within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; She (or whatever lacky typed this) even spelled my name wrong... Dear Jonahan: Thank you for contacting me to share your opposition to assault weapons ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Devil wrote me back...my senator

She (or whatever lacky typed this) even spelled my name wrong...

Dear Jonahan:

Thank you for contacting me to share your opposition to assault weapons legislation. I respect your opinion on this important issue and welcome the opportunity to provide my point of view.

Mass shootings are a serious problem in our country, and I have watched this problem get worse and worse over the 40 years I have been in public life. From the 1966 shooting rampage at the University of Texas that killed 14 people and wounded 32 others, to the Newtown massacre that killed 20 children and 6 school teachers and faculty, I have seen more and more of these killings. I have had families tell me that they no longer feel safe in a mall, in a movie theater, in their business, and in other public places, because these deadly weapons are so readily available. These assault weapons too often fall into the hands of grievance killers, juveniles, gangs, and the deranged.

I recognize that the Second Amendment provides an individual right to bear arms, but I do not believe that right is unlimited or that it precludes taking action to prevent mass shootings. Indeed, in the same Supreme Court decision that recognized the individual right to bear arms, District of Columbia v. Heller, the Court also held that this right, like other constitutional rights, is not unlimited. That is why assault weapons bans have consistently been upheld in the courts, both before and after the Heller decision. I believe regulation of these weapons is appropriate.

Once again, thank you for your letter. Although we may disagree, I appreciate hearing from you and will be mindful of your thoughts as the debate on this issue continues. If you have any additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein United States Senator
    She's your Senator? You poor, poor guy.
    At least my Senator, Joe Manchin, pretends he's pro 2-A.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

It is a double edged sword. She shows (most) of her true colors. And I get to vote against her, and curse her name! I am a pilgrim in an unfriendly land.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

That is why assault weapons bans have consistently been upheld in the courts, both before and after the Heller decision.
    Uhm... any citations of these court rulings?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Keep fighting the good fight brother. I know you must feel like you are in the Alamo on a daily basis.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Did you expect otherwise? You face just as large of an uphill battle as those suffering under the Bloomberg regime.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Unfortunately I got the same letter from her.
    John

OK, all together now...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Uhm... any citations of these court rulings?
    Why yes, Charlie, there are... Google is my friend... here's one for you...you might recognize some names in it...

United States Court of Appeals
    FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA CIRCUIT
    Argued November 15, 2010 Decided October 4, 2011
    No. 10-7036
    DICK ANTHONY HELLER, ET AL.,
    APPELLANTS
    v.
    DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, ET AL.,
    APPELLEES
    Appeal from the United States District Court
    for the District of Columbia
    (No. 1:08-cv-01289)
    Check out pages 28 and 29

Great, Charlie.... this whole situation has me so upset, I've quit just talking to myself... now I'm responding to my own posts...

Time for a break, Charlie... go out to the range....

Go out to the range? Are you NUTS? I'm gonna need all the ammo I got... and there ain't none to replace it!

Sigh....
    Crowbait and Eichorn like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

At least she took a stand. Here's the pablum I got back a few days ago from my waffle, I mean Senator. I don't know if she's my enemy or my friend on this issue.

"Thank you for contacting me about the tragic and senseless violence in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with me.

If there is anything that deeply unites Americans across the country it is our love for our children and grandchildren and our desire to keep them safe. In the wake of the heartbreaking tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, all of us must come together to determine what steps can be taken to protect our children. That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage. It also means strengthening mental health services, and focusing on the broader culture of violence in the media and our society. These solutions may not be easy, but one thing should be clear complacency and inaction until the next attack must not be an option.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.
    Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
    United States Senator
    U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow
    The United States Senate Washington, DC 20510
    stabenow.senate.gov
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    She's your Senator? You poor, poor guy.
    At least my Senator, Joe Manchin, pretends he's pro 2-A.
    Pretends or hasn't concluded which way the political winds are blowing?
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    At least she took a stand. Here's the pablum I got back a few days ago from my waffle, I mean Senator. I don't know if she's my enemy or my friend on this issue.

"Thank you for contacting me about the tragic and senseless violence in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with me.

If there is anything that deeply unites Americans across the country it is our love for our children and grandchildren and our desire to keep them safe. In the wake of the heartbreaking tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, all of us must come together to determine what steps can be taken to protect our children. That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage. It also means strengthening mental health services, and focusing on the broader culture of violence in the media and our society. These solutions may not be easy, but one thing should be clear complacency and inaction until the next attack must not be an option.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.
    Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
    United States Senator
    The United States Senate Washington, DC 20510
    stabenow.senate.gov
    I'm pretty sure I know how she stands.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Just in case there is still anyone who doesn't know what she really wants:

... in 1995 Feinstein told the Washington Post “there is no question that I would have preferred to see an outright ban on the possession of semi-automatic assault weapons in America, including the 1.5 million to 2 million currently in circulation. But, simply stated, the votes were not there, and on CBS 60 Minutes she said, “If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America turn them all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren’t there.”
    The quote is from NRA-ILA | Gateway to Broader Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post

If there is anything that deeply unites Americans across the country it is our love for our children and grandchildren and our desire to keep them safe. In the wake of the heartbreaking tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, all of us must come together to determine what steps can be taken to protect our children. That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage. It also means strengthening mental health services, and focusing on the broader culture of violence in the media and our society. These solutions may not be easy, but one thing should be clear – complacency and inaction until the next attack must not be an option.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
    United States Senator
    The United States Senate • Washington, DC 20510
    stabenow.senate.gov
    I got the exact same response from her a couple weeks back. Her and Carl Levin both need to go!!
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

BigJon... What are the chances of you getting the heck outta there and moving to a free state?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links