Several stores had AR's today - is this a good sign?

This is a discussion on Several stores had AR's today - is this a good sign? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to a few pawn shops that sell guns and related stuff today (Saturday), and saw several brand new AR-15's along with other "para-military" ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By NCSoxFan
  • 1 Post By kb2wji

Thread: Several stores had AR's today - is this a good sign?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Several stores had AR's today - is this a good sign?

I went to a few pawn shops that sell guns and related stuff today (Saturday), and saw several brand new AR-15's along with other "para-military" rifles. These were brand new and they also weren't there when I visited a couple of weeks ago.

So is the panic starting to subside or was this coincidence?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

They seemed to have been a little-bit more plentiful at the LGShow today, and the prices we're more reasonable as well. A couple ah dealers had Colt LE6920's. One had seven of um for $1,500.-ech and the other had four of um for $1,300.-ech. There were plenty of 30-r P-mags around and they were anywhere`s from $30. to $55.-ech.

One table had about 50 Ruger 10/22 BX-25 mags for $95.00-ech / 2 for $175.

I laughed at the price and asked him if he was associated with CTD?

He asked me: "Who is that? Never heard of um." adding "Well....I've sold over 75 of these today ! ! and if you need any of these you better buy um now because they are selling fast!!"

I replied: "Ya I can see there's a line out the door starting here at your table and heading that ah way to buy um all up! If people are that stupid to pay 3x what they are worth then good for them!"

He gave me a roll of his eyes look and walked away.

MEH

Any day a retail establishment has firearms available for legal trade is a good day in America.

Any good news is well, good news. Ordered my Colt in October! Glad to see they are trickling in now
    Taurahe likes this.

At the end of the year, manufacturers tend to quit producing and allow their stock to deplete for tax purposes (I'm not a business owner or tax professional, so whatever those benefits are, I don't know). So a bit after the first they start producing, and there's a bit of a period where they're fulfilling backorders. The price hikes that everybody saw were price gougers taking advantage of the low supply and high demand. Things will settle down. Or if you have the right connections, you can still get them anyway for good prices.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

From conversations with respected LGS owners out here, it appears the bloom is off the rose at least nationally. That is not to say Colorado might be different, with the Draconian proposals moving through the legislature.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    The AR prices I saw weren't completely insane; $1100.00, $1300.00, $1500.00, depending on what it was. I was mainly glad to see some back in stock. I realize that the fight is yet to come, but it's good to see some confidence rising that we can win.

I'm still worried, but I'll take any ray of hope I can get.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

It's a combination of many things. Slowed end of the year production, media hype, emotionally charged purchasing, politicians crying wolf, all of it came to a head all at once. Once people calm down things will even out a bit. I was at Bass Pro last week and they brought out four ARs that just came off the truck. Three sold while I was in the store but the fact they even had them to sell was a good sign. Their racks have been empty for weeks. The real sign we need to watch for is ammo sales. Those rifles are just pretty paperweights and clubs if there's no ammo to feed through them.

Between holiday shopping, and the recent feeding frenzy, the available street stock has all but been depleted. The manufactures are trying to keep up with the recent demand of certain select stuff, but it is so hefty of a demand that they are having a hard time keeping up. Though products are trickling in. But then as soon as something hits the shelves it gets bought up immediately. Once the hording lets up, if it does anytime soon, and the manufacturers can keep cranking it out? Then things will go back to an normal availability in about, the next couple ah months.

The major problem with availability now is that; people are in a panic buying mode and somethings no sooner hit the retailers that it is all bought up, and this high demand in turn has allowed retailers to raise the selling prices, because people will pay anything to get whatever it is they want, if they have the money to spend on it before someone else buys it.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    1300-1500 is a normal and fair price for a Pony (Colt). They absolutely retain their resale value. I would pay $1500 for a 6920 quite easily. Of course I own a couple so I need not another. I can only carry one at a time anyways.

Also in relation to ammo supplies dwindling... the US Govt (Dept of homeland Sec.) is buying mass quantities to the tune of 1.625+ billion rounds of .223/9mm/40cal etc... Basically enough to supply the entire US military in Afghanistan for over 30 years at 5.5 million rounds a month current usage. In other words .. they are either trying to prevent the use of guns by drying up ammo supplies or they are stockpiling for the inevitable and total collapse of the republic. This is for another conversation. However the numbers are 100% accurate as they are sourced from public records of buying and purchase request placed by the US Govt.

That is probably why ammo is really dry right now.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Is .223/5.56 also becoming more available, or is it still virtually impossible to get except in small lots here and there? Most ammunition suppliers that I have checked don't seem to have any available, and what is occasionally available is around one dollar a round. I just thought I would throw the question out there out of curiosity.

VIP Member
    This is good news for sure if what y'all are saying is true. I for one and looking to pick up my first AR sometime in the near future after the chaos subsides, things get back to "normal", and prices get sane again. Can't wait for that day...i think it's coming sooner than later.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

I noticed the Gun Range had quite a few in Inventory and mentioned that it seemed like everything was starting to return to normal,he said yep they haven't been getting any calls wanting to know if they have any in stock.
    Wait til the people that paid $2000 for a bushmaster,or over $3000 for a Colt 6920 see them selling at their regular 1/3 that price in the near future and kick themselves
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I'm seeing things trickle in slowly. I've noticed the AR's showing up on the racks. Ammo isn't as hit n miss but prices are still stupid. But I think it'll be a slow journey to normal, or something close to what I imagine normal to be. But we're heading in the right direction.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Links