Banning Illegal Guns and Banning Illegal Drugs

Banning Illegal Guns and Banning Illegal Drugs

This is a discussion on Banning Illegal Guns and Banning Illegal Drugs within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If a person is convicted for possession of illegal drugs and is sent to prison, why can't the guards prevent drugs from getting into the ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Boyntonstu
  • 2 Post By palmgopher
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By bigmacque
  • 1 Post By SigPapa226

Thread: Banning Illegal Guns and Banning Illegal Drugs

Question Banning Illegal Guns and Banning Illegal Drugs

If a person is convicted for possession of illegal drugs and is sent to prison, why can't the guards prevent drugs from getting into the prison?

If you cannot prevent drug trafficking in a prison, how are you going to enforce a gun ban outside of prison?
    CanuckQue and Sheldon J like this.

??????????
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Human greed...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Boyntonstu View Post
    If a person is convicted for possession of illegal drugs and is sent to prison, why can't the guards prevent drugs from getting into the prison?

If you cannot prevent drug trafficking in a prison, how are you going to enforce a gun ban outside of prison?
    SILENCE!!!! we are pushing an agenda! Quit with the common sense.
    RonCo and marinevet1994 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I need to play both sides of your soliloquy before I can bring it before anti-gun progressives.

How many guns are smuggled into prisons? Very few?
    Are you in favor of legalizing all drugs?

I need to explore both sides to form a more sound opinion.

VIP Member
    I think what you're saying is:

Illegal drug laws haven't been very effective on controlling illegal drugs, so you would expect that gun control laws would not be very effective either?

BTW I tend to agree with that, the track history is pretty much there.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Well, then there is that pesky Constitutional issue. One is protected by the Constitution so that we may protect ourselves. The other is not protected by the Constitution and also happens to be very destructive. That and most people are highly unlikely to hide an AR15 or 44 Magnum up their bum.

VIP Member

Prison gun bans, otoh, have been extremely effective.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

They could, if all were interested in doing that. Not all are. And not all breaches come through guards. Any open system's going to have its avenues for such things, no matter how many bars there are.

They are two different environments. But I agree with your point: even in a barred, locked, controlled environment, implementing a full and complete ban and confiscation of an item such that it's "item"-free can't be done; thus, in an open society with free transactions between people, it's simply not possible to become gun-free no matter how much unconstitutional procedural dallying occurs.
    Boyntonstu likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No exactly sure what drugs in prison,has to do with gun control outside of it.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Whether this was the OP's intent or not, there is actually a point that can be made in this discussion.

Millions of law-abiding citizens legally own millions of guns. Millions of citizens that do not abide by the law -- regardless of how you feel about the detrimental effects, if any, of pot-smoking or the legalization of drugs such as marijuana -- posses illegal drugs. So it's pretty clear that laws regarding gun control are not going to have any more success than current laws regarding the possession of illegal drugs.

And the difference in our favor? We may not win the numbers game, but I can beat you with a bullet faster than you can beat me with a syringe.
    Boyntonstu likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I think what you're saying is:

Illegal drug laws haven't been very effective on controlling illegal drugs, so you would expect that gun control laws would not be very effective either?

BTW I tend to agree with that, the track history is pretty much there.
    Drug laws have been very effective in just the same manner that gun laws have been and will continue to be. They are only effective on law abiding folks. Politicians know that only law abiding citizens will abide by stricter gun control laws and criminals will continue to break the law. They will continue to let criminals roam the street and victomize us. They are hoping that we will need government to help us so they can strip even more rights from us. It's been going on for thousands of years and always fails. I just have to figure out what country I want to seek refuge in when this country become uninhabitable for me.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've used the argument "They can't keep illegal drugs from South America out of the pockets of Junior High kids, but they think they can keep illegal guns out of the pockets of hardened criminals. Dream on."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The government has been unable to stop millions of illegal aliens from crossing the border. They have been unable to stop hundreds of tons of drugs from crossing the border every year. What makes anyone think that the government could stop illegal guns from crossing the border when the profits become good enough?

The criminals will use straw purchases to buy guns, they will steal them, or they will buy them along with their shipment of illegal drugs. It won't matter to them or affect them. How do you think they get guns in Chicago, the new murder capital of the country with the strongest, most draconian gun laws in the country?
    BugDude likes this.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Agreed. Failed policies like the war on drugs need to be stopped at the root of the cause. The same is true for violent crime. This won't happen because the government doesn't really care what is best for the people. They just want to fulfill their agendas - no matter what the consequences.

Links