Update March 1: Colorado Call to Action! HELP!

Update March 1: Colorado Call to Action! HELP!

This is a discussion on Update March 1: Colorado Call to Action! HELP! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We need some help in Colorado! Our House of Representatives narrowly passed FOUR anti-2A Bills yesterday. The Bills now proceed to the Senate. We need ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Update March 1: Colorado Call to Action! HELP!

Exclamation Update March 1: Colorado Call to Action! HELP!

We need some help in Colorado! Our House of Representatives narrowly passed FOUR anti-2A Bills yesterday. The Bills now proceed to the Senate. We need to exercise our strength, and make the Senate Leadership realize their jobs are imperiled if these Bills pass the Senate.

Colorado residents should be writing their Senators and the Senate Leadership:

Here are the Senate Leaders:

John Morse: john.morse.senate@state.co.us

Brandon Shaffer: brandon@brandonshaffer.com

Betty Boyd: betty.boyd.senate@state.co.us

Lois Tochtrop: lotochtrop@aol.com

Morgan Carroll: morgan.carroll.senate@state.co.us

Bill Cadman: bill.cadman.senate@state.co.us

Mark Scheffel: mark.scheffel.senate@state.co.us

Scott W. Renfroe: senatorrenfroe@gmail.com

Kevin Grantham: kevin.grantham.senate@state.co.us

Please distribute this list to all of your out-of-state friends, and ask them to write respectful letters to the leaders, indicating their hunting, fishing and vacation dollars will be spent elsewhere if the anti-gun measures are passed.

In-state friends should write similar letters to the leadership, with some wordsmithing about vacations and the like.

If you are a resident, You can find your Senator here: Colorado General Assembly

Well written respectful letters are needed!
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 19th, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
    TX expat and Olduser like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I would, but AdBro told me that Washington doesn't care what I have to say and sending money to the NRA is the only effective means.

(I will send some emails)
    OldVet likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I have never received a personal response to any email I've sent. If you at least do whatever you can...if that time ever come you will know you have done all you could to avoid this day.

OldVet and surefire7 like this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Here's the email I sent to every senator in the list you posted earlier:
    Dear Senator,

I’ve visited Colorado in the past and your state has an abundance of outdoor activities that I am interested in. However, if you and your fellow legislators pass any of the ignorant anti-gun legislation, including expanding NICS checks, I will never step foot in your state again – there are plenty of other opportunities in neighboring states. This sentiment is shared with thousands of other tourists. The federal government refuses to appropriately fund the NICS system which has resulted in false denials, the federal government has failed miserably to prosecute violations of the current system, and roughly 40 states refuse to submit the needed information to allow the present NICS system operate correctly. No expansion of the system is warranted as addressing those three issues will do infinitely more than subjecting law abiding citizens to more infringements on their rights.

Thank you for your consideration,

It took about 15 min. My method was to open the Word clipboard and have the subject line and letter accessible in the clipboard with a list of senators in the body of the Word doc. Email program open in another window. Copy senator email, paste, 2x click on subject line in clipboard, paste, 2x click on letter in clipboard, paste. Few computer tips: 1) you don't have to see the entire subject matter when selecting an item from the clipboard so the Word doc was only about 3" wide (enough to see/select the email addr and id (but not read) the text in the clipboard, 2) you only have to move the mouse to the edge of the white space for the addr bar/subject line/letter space in order to paste stuff, and 3) use Cntrl+V to paste to spread out tasks btwn your two hands.

Happy pasting and emailing.

Wow, a response already:
    Thank you for contacting me regarding your 2nd Amendment rights.

I will not be supporting any of the bills up this session. HB’s 12-1224, 1226, 1228, and 1229 are all infringements on the rights of the law-abiding, not restrictions on the criminals. Criminals will circumvent the law, because they are criminals. I’m not sure why that connection is so difficult for some in this building. If these bills are passed, all we will have done is make it harder for the law-abiding to protect themselves against those for whom neither the law nor respect for their fellow human beings is any deterrent.

My pro-2nd Amendment sentiment is not a recent position; it has been one of my main policy objectives, since coming to the Capitol two years ago. I have supported “constitutional carry” legislation in the past, including SB 12-025 last year, that would have further removed restrictions on your right to own guns. I have also supported expanding Colorado’s “castle doctrine” to businesses (HB 12-1088), which would have allowed authorized persons to employ deadly force, if necessary, in defense of life or property at a business

Again, thank you for contacting me, and be certain that I will be supporting the 2nd Amendment and not the anti-gun lobby.

Sincerely,

Sen. Kevin Grantham
    District 2
    Rock and Glock and surefire7 like this.

My letter

I sent this to all the Senate in your list and also the Governor.

"My name is XXXXXX and I am a resident of Texas formerly California eleven years ago. I left California due to the hostile treatment incurred against law abiding gun owners. I felt compelled to write my opposition to the gun control bills which has passed the house and is headed to the Senate. I am a frequent visitor to your State as I have in the past visited the Denver Mint facility and also enjoyed the many outdoor activities relating to gun ownership including hunting in the San Juan Mountains and San Luis Valley. I have often visited Colorado with my family to visit friends living there. I feel with the attacks against law abiding gun owners in your State will cause me to rethink any future plans to visit your State and consider other States for the outdoor recreational activities. This is an unfortunate decision but just as I do not support an entity which infringes in the Constitutional rights guaranteed by the Second Amendments. I am hoping the Senate will look into this matter carefully and not alienate the vast majority of law abiding gun owners in your State. "

I will wait and see if I get a response.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

My family and I lived in Colorado in the 1980's and we still have family living there, so I felt the need to write the senators. Thanks for posting their contact info.
    surefire7 likes this.

I live close enough, I'll probably stop by in person.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Done and done! Sent my letters
    surefire7 likes this.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Senior Moderator
    I am helping Colorado
    surefire7 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I got this today:

Hello everyone,
    Thank you for writing to me about firearms legislation. This week I received over 4,000 emails about the bills introduced February 8. While I would like to write each of you individually, the mere volume of emails I received (and am still receiving!) prevents me from doing this. But please know that I have read your concerns, and I am excited to see so many of you involved in the political process.
    Most of you wrote to me in opposition to the universal background check for firearms transfers and the limit on ammunition magazine size. Some of you that receive this email wrote in favor of these bills, but the vast majority did not support these pieces of legislation. Either way, let me explain how I feel about these bills, and why I voted NO against all of them.
    I believe that one of the government’s few jobs is to provide safety for all its citizens. This is why we have the police force, fire department, and men and women of our armed forces. Protecting innocent human lives is important. As a former law enforcement official, I experienced first hand the danger that guns can present when in the wrong hands. Criminals have used guns against me, and solely by the grace of God am I here to help craft laws to increase our safety. Guns in the hands of those who wish to do evil can have disastrous consequences on our society, but they also provide safety to those who need to defend themselves when law enforcement cannot help. In all too many situations, the police department cannot get to the scene of a crime before it is tragically too late. Because of this, I believe the government should ensure that citizens have an simple process to acquire weapons for self-protection. Our Nation's Founding Fathers understood this. They knew we have a fundamental need to protect ourselves from two groups — the first group is evil-doers who wish to harm our families. The second group is, in fact, an out of control tyrannical government, just like the one our Founder's fought so valiantly against to give us all freedom and liberty.
    House Bill 13-1229, which would require universal background checks on firearms transfers, severely extends the amount of time a person can purchase a gun privately. Now, I understand the opposition’s argument. A criminal can purchase a gun from a law-abiding citizen and commit more crimes. The opposition claims that a universal background check would prevent this. I disagree. Criminals will still avoid the law (by nature of being a criminal) and get access to firearms without a background check. While the drafters of this bill may have good intentions, I think this bill will ultimately harm law abiding citizens and make purchasing a gun for protection more onerous.
    House Bill 13-1224 would limit the size of ammunition magazines. I also voted “NO” on this bill. While, again, I believe the sponsors of this bill had good intentions to protect the safety of our citizens, this legislation is misguided at best. Banning large capacity magazines will actually not increase public safety. In fact, it will make us all LESS safe. A practiced criminal can unload a magazine and load a new one in a matter of seconds. For a trained criminal, this bill will not slow the rate of shooting or decrease the devastation caused, but this legislation will make people less able to protect themselves against intruders and assailants against themselves and their families and loved ones - and that is wrong.
    The recent tragic shootings are cause for intense concern, no doubt. But rather than legislating to slow the purchase of guns, I believe that allowing our citizens to easily obtain guns for self-protection and the protection of our most valuable asset — our children — is a much better idea. It is also an idea that our Founding Fathers would adhere to as they indicated in the Second Amendment, rights which have recently been upheld and sustained by our United States Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller. I swore an oath to protect and defend our US Constitution and our Colorado Constitution. If I voted any other way but NO on these gun control bills, I would be violating that oath.
    For those of you that wrote to me in favor of these bills, I appreciate your input. However, I believe these bills do more harm than good. The public safety of our State and Nation is a discussion we must continue to have and a topic we must act on with certainty. Our action should be focused on the evil-doers, not on just one of the tools they choose to use against us. I hope to continue to offer solutions in the form of better mental health care standards in our state, stricter penalties for violent criminals and better law enforcement response times and stationing in our schools.
    Thank you again for writing me. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact my office.
    Sincerely,
    Jared
    --
    Representative Jared Wright
    Colorado House District 54

Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Exclamation More Help Needed!

We need a LOT of help, folks! Please write these folks and tell them Colorado will miss your hunting, fishing and vacation dollars IF they pass ANY gun control measures! We need a lot of letters, e-mails, and calls now!

These Senator's need to hear from you today via phone AND e-mail:

Senate President John Morse (SD11)
    (303) 866-6364; john.morse.senate@state.co.us

Senate Majority Leader Morgan Carroll (SD29)
    (303) 866-4879; morgan.carroll.senate@state.co.us

Senator Angela Giron (SD03)
    (303) 866-4878; angela.giron.senate@state.co.us

Senator Jeanne Nicholson (SD16)
    (303) 866-4873; jeanne.nicholson.senate@state.co.us

Senator Lois Tochtrop (SD24)
    (303) 866-4871; lotochtrop@aol.com

Senator Cheri Jahn (SD20)
    (303) 866-4856; cheri.jahn.senate@state.co.us

Senator Andy Kerr (SD22)
    (303) 866-4859; andy.kerr.senate@state.co.us

Senator Gail Schwartz (SD05)
    (303)866-4871; gail.schwartz.senate@gmail.com

Senator Mary Hodge (SD25)
    (303) 866-4855; mary.hodge.senate@state.co.us

These Senators could be key votes that decide the fate of this legislation.

Not sure what to tell them?

I recommend something short and customized (please do not just cut and paste this example):

Dear Senator NAME,

I DO NOT support more gun control:

NO Magazine Bans
    NO ban on private firearms sales
    NO Gun Tax on gun purchases
    NO universal background checks/gun registration
    NO "Mental health" database to deny gun rights
    NO Backdoor "Assault Weapon" bans

If Colorado enacts any gun control measures, my hunting, fishing and vacation dollars will be spent in adjacent, gun-friendly states!

Signed: (Your Name)(Address)

I got this from Senator Greg Brophy:

Dear Richard

As you know, House Bills 1224, 1226, 1228, and 1229, all of which would greatly restrict the rights of gun owners, will soon be heard by the Colorado State Senate. Our timetable for stopping these bills is getting shorter and shorter; they are going to be introduced in the senate over the next few days and heard in committee early next week.

Every one of these bills is completely absurd. I recently stated in a Denver Post article that House Bill 1229, which would require universal background checks for firearms transfers, would criminalize gun owners for loaning a gun to their nephew or close friend and could only be enforced through a statewide gun registry. Bills like HB 1229 can be summed up in three words: “Ridiculous. Unnecessary. Dangerous.” You can read the full-text of my article here: Gun bill dangerous, unnecessary - The Denver Post

The Democrats have scheduled all of these bills to be heard by their respective committees on the same day at the same time. They will be heard at 1:30pm on Monday the 4th. I suspect that this is an effort to sneak these gun control measures past Colorado gun owners by making it difficult for concerned citizens and experts to testify. Don’t let them get away with this. Please make your voice heard by coming to the capitol on Monday. Be sure to come early to sign up to testify, as there will be a lot of witnesses.

Now more than ever it is crucial that you contact your state senator and ask them to vote “no” on all of these bills. If you’re not sure who your local legislators are, you can find out on this site by typing in your zip code: Project Vote Smart - The Voter's Self Defense System. You can also find your legislators’ contact information at Colorado General Assembly for the House and Colorado General Assembly for the Senate. As always, in addition to succinctly voicing your opinions on the bills, it would be great to remind your legislators that you will be keeping their votes on these anti-gun bills in mind during the 2014 election.

As has become the norm for their party, senate Democrats are trying to avoid talking to gun owners by either not scheduling townhall meetings over the weekend or making information on those meetings hard to find. Below is some information on a few townhalls going on tonight and Saturday. I will send you more information on townhalls as it becomes available. Also, if any of you can bring a video camera to a townhall meeting, we’d love to capture it on film.

Fort Collins:
    Community Conversation with Rep. Ginal
    Fire Station 10, 2067 Vermont Drive, Fort Collins, CO 80526
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 from 10:30 a.m. to Noon

Louisville:
    Town Hall Meeting with Rep. Foote & Sen. Jones
    Louisville Public Library, 951 Spruce Street, Louisville, Colorado 80027
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Thornton:
    Town Hall Meeting with Rep. Lebsock and Sen. Ulibarri
    Anythink Library, 9417 Huron Street, Thornton, CO, 80260
    Saturday, Mar. 2, 2013 from 11:00 a.m. to Noon

Wheat Ridge:
    Town Hall Meeting with Rep. Singer and Sen. Heath
    The Stone Cup, 442 High Street, Lyons, CO 80540
    Wednesday February 27, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Please call your local city council or Republican Party or do a Google search to find additional town hall meetings going on in your area.

It’s crunch time. We really need let the Democrats know that their constituents oppose these bills. They need to listen to their constituents instead of Mayor Bloomberg and VP Biden.

Sincerely,
    Senator Greg Brophy
    surefire7 and jhfox462 like this.

OK, messages sent to each senator. I hope it helps.

Hi, all. I found this site by searching for town hall information for this evening and am glad to see other folks wanting to help Colorado. I want to start by apologizing if this violates "Rule 11" - I've got a link to share that ISN'T selling anything but is a Colorado organization we're just getting off the ground and we need help. Mods, if this is poor etiquette, feel free to delete the post, email me and I won't trouble you again.

We're Colorado Accountability and we were "born" a week ago Monday with the goal of recalling every constituent-defying legislator we could. Our first effort is Mike McLachlan in District 59 (Durango country). In that week, we went from a half-dozen or so guys on a conference call to a website, a forum with 100+ registered members, offers of pro bono legal, technical and PR help and a front page story in the Durango Herald on our recall effort. We need people to join us, both on the forums (we ask that you ID your district so we know where our strengths are) and in the effort to collect signatures, spread the word and let the antis know we're coming. We plan on not only recalling legislators but also fighting the bills - and the laws, if they get rammed through despite our efforts. We're continuing to write and call but we know we're being ignored - so we're taking the fight to them.

When all is said and done, Colorado may go blue permanently but they won't get to keep the delusion that they were doing the "will of the people". We will fight every step and then some. And I hope you'll help us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links