The Really Bad - Repeal the Second Amendment

This is a discussion on The Really Bad - Repeal the Second Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is what the other side is reading. Repeal the Second Amendment February 25, 2013, The Editors Plagued by rising levels of violent crime, in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: The Really Bad - Repeal the Second Amendment

The Really Bad - Repeal the Second Amendment

This is what the other side is reading.

Repeal the Second Amendment

February 25, 2013, The Editors

Plagued by rising levels of violent crime, in the autumn of 1976 the District of Columbia enacted one of the nation’s toughest gun control laws. The law effectively banned handguns, automatic firearms and high-capacity semiautomatic weapons. Police officers were exempt from the provisions of the law, as were guns registered before 1976. Over the following decade, the murder rate in Washington, D.C., declined, then increased, shadowing a national trend. Overall, however, the new law helped to prevent nearly 50 deaths per year, according to one study published in The New England Journal of Medicine. “We knew there were problems we couldn’t wipe out,” said Sterling Tucker, chair of the district council at the time, as he reflected on the law 22 years later. “But we had a little more control over it.”

Read more: Repeal the Second Amendment | America Magazine

Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Who keeps flippin' these rocks over and finding these people? The Constitution should not be challenged, by anyone.
    mano3, shadowwalker and mg27 like this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

At least he has it right. Either you have a 2A or you do not. He is better than folks that profess to support the 2A and then try to screw with it every chance they get.
    atctimmy and ksholder like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Who keeps flippin' these rocks over and finding these people? The Constitution should not be challenged, by anyone.
    Excuse me? So we should still have slavery and no equal rights for woman?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

You can not argue with the fact that if all guns were destroyed SOME deaths would be prevented. BUT, at what other costs? What about the attempted murders that are foiled when a potential victim is armed with a gun? When soldiers go to war it is certain that some will be killed so should we simply NEVER get involved in any war so that we can be sure that no soldiers are killed? People commit murders with knives on a daily basis so would lives be saved if ALL knives were banned in this country? Sure, some lives would be saved but at the cost of never being able to cut up a ribeye steak for the rest of your life. It is not feasible. There are serial killers that like to strangle women with their own panties, should ALL panties be banned in an effort to save some women from being strangled to death? You can not talk any sense into these morons.
    BkCo1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I'm assuming he means as a way of taking away the protection of rights.

If people are not happy with the Constitution of this nation I feel certian that they will have no problem finding a new home in a nation that does not allow it's citizens to have firearms. That is a win win solution.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    No matter what we think there is a mechanism in place to make changes to the Constitution. And since we are on the subject of the Constitution the 1st A applies to folks who do choose to "challenge" it. And I long ago decided to not "assume" what folks think on this forum LOL.......too many strange things have been posted
    CharlesMorri and ksholder like this.

At least he has it right. Either you have a 2A or you do not. He is better than folks that profess to support the 2A and then try to screw with it every chance they get.
    I'm with you. At least this dude is being up front. The completely disingenuous folks have earned my utter disdain. Founding Fathers included the means to amend the Constitution. It's been done a number of times across our nation's history. It's an orderly and demanding process, as it should be. The tricky part about the Bill of Rights is, Founders weren't saying government GRANTED these rights. They said it merely RECOGNIZED rights given by God (including the right to defend one's self from tyranny). The legal right may disappear, but the moral right would not.

PC

Hey, go ahead, if you can get the 2/3 Senate, 2/3 House, and 3/4 of all state legislatures to agree, by all means, repeal or enact what you want, as it was meant to be done. Until then, put up and shut up.
    CharlesMorri and atctimmy like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    No matter what we think there is a mechanism in place to make changes to the Constitution. And since we are on the subject of the Constitution the 1st A applies to folks who do choose to "challenge" it. And I long ago decided to not "assume" what folks think on this forum LOL.......too many strange things have been posted
    We are discussing repealing the 2nd Amendment, not slavery or women's rights. Next time I will be more explicit if it suits you.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    We are discussing repealing the 2nd Amendment, not slavery or women's rights. Next time I will be more explicit if it suits you.
    Doesn't change anythiing. You tell me what parts of the Constitution are available for amending? Or is it that we can only pick and choose parts that we agree with? It doesn't work like that. Sorry. The procedure to change the document is spelled out.
    Sometimes folks only seem to lke the Constitution when it fits their agenda.

I read some of the comments and threw-up a little in my mouth...

One leftie actually said that it's not about defending your home, it's about the rest of society feeling safe. Basically saying later that you should give up your gun for the sake of society!

Where do these people come from?
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    Hey, go ahead, if you can get the 2/3 Senate, 2/3 House, and 3/4 of all state legislatures to agree, by all means, repeal or enact what you want, as it was meant to be done. Until then, put up and shut up.
    Absolutely agree. That should be what we have.

Unfortunately, we've got people in positions of judgment allowing this crap (in the SCOTUS, circuit courts, state courts), plus a huge percentage of the population that supports it. And so, political hacks keep peddling it ... and getting away with it. And with corporate/PAC support insulating those interests from the People more and more, it continues to become more likely we're going to see such abuses in the future.

Shall Not Be Infringed. Pretty bloody straightforward, there. It most certainly doesn't mean strangle the right to buy, sell, maintain or carry to within an inch of our ability to have such things, or to force them to be unusable in time of need (via locked/disassembled condition), or to criminalize use or even mere possession to the point it essentially negates the value of it.

Severe punishment for Crimes against the Constitution and Treason against the People needs to come back, big time. Until then, we're in a pit with rabid dogs taking chunks out of the 2A and the other ostensibly "protected" rights we reserve for ourselves. At some point, we're either going to succumb or need to eliminate the rabid dogs from the pit.
    rutcrazed, mg27 and CharlesMorri like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    The editorial writer showed his total ignorance with this sentence:

"Over the following decade, the murder rate in Washington, D.C., declined, then increased, shadowing a national trend."

If you look at the FBI statistics, the murder rate has continued to increasein Washington D.C. since 1976, while decreasing in states with fewer gun control laws.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links