Maine: New bill wants statewide CC database.

This is a discussion on Maine: New bill wants statewide CC database. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bill would ease police efforts to keep guns out of irresponsible hands, police say | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME I'm not a fan of ...

Thread: Maine: New bill wants statewide CC database.

Bill would ease police efforts to keep guns out of irresponsible hands, police say | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME

I'm not a fan of this, and was wondering what everyone hear thinks of it. It screams Big Brother to me. I'm not sure how easy the information will be to access, but if it pops up on my license if I get pulled over, I can see things getting ugly when a Rambo cop thinks he's in danger because he's sees the owner of the vehicle has a permit. We are not required to inform a LEO that we are carrying in Maine.

I would prefer to see the law set up so that if a permit holder commits a crime that disqualifies them from the permit, that it is reported to his/her local PD that keeps the paperwork, and then they can take the necessary action to remove their permit. I don't like it being lumped into one big pool and lots of potential harassment from cops that are way too gung-ho. Luckily most of the cops around my area are good at their jobs and not power hungry crazies, though I've noticed a lot of them could stand to learn more about our basic rights.

It shows up in VA when stopped in VA and they run your license...I've never heard of any issues (and I'm not saying there haven't been issues)..

Not judging the law either way, just offering an observation...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Well that's nice to hear there has been no problems, but with the current climate I have a feeling the wording might get twisted to mess with our rights. I was discussing with some friends and they were making comparisons to gun registration, because now every LEO in the State would have the knowledge that we more than likely own at least 1 firearm. I just don't want to see them start adding these little things because right now is prime for those little persistent things that end up being bad all together, especially in a *mostly* democrat state.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    As a Mainer born and raised this perked my interest. I just briefly read through the article and honestly see no issue with Maine law enforcement actually being able to see who can legally posses a CCW permit or not, or if something disqualifies them exc. Here in AZ all permits are issued through DPS, as are background checks, fingerprinting exc so it is all in the same database too. If my info is incorrect someone correct me. Anyways, it doesn't seem logical to have permits being issued through numerous agencies and each agency unable to see the others info.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Also, here in Arizona most LEOs' default frame of mind is that everyone is armed; fewer surprises that way.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

In some states (not all) if you have a CCW, the police know your one of the good guys. A secret I have not told my wife wife yet is that I was stopped by a cop the other day, I informed him he said thanks, no worries and told me that right turn on red I made was posted and it was a No No. I thought he could have cared less, but then as he told me that since the sign was partially obscured he would forget it happened, and then told me to "carry safe" and let me go about my business.

I haven't told my wife, because I gave her a hard time about her running a stop sign accidentally only a few hours before. (New sign at an intersection newly completed road construction/maintenance). So if I tell her I got stopped, I won't hear the end of it.

Anyway, depending on the state/cop, it could be in your favor, not that I like the idea myself just trying to look at the positive side.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it, unless the use of that information is expanded and put to uses that can somehow infringe on my rights.

Links