NRA uses Justice memo to accuse Obama on guns

This is a discussion on NRA uses Justice memo to accuse Obama on guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; News from The Associated Press NRA uses Justice memo to accuse Obama on guns By ALAN FRAM Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) -- The National Rifle ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By nontechguy
  • 1 Post By RonM0710
  • 2 Post By RightsEroding

Thread: NRA uses Justice memo to accuse Obama on guns

VIP Member

Thumbs up NRA uses Justice memo to accuse Obama on guns

News from The Associated Press

By ALAN FRAM
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The National Rifle Association is using a Justice Department memo it obtained to argue in ads that the Obama administration believes its gun control plans won't work unless the government seizes firearms and requires national gun registration - ideas the White House has not proposed and does not support.

The NRA's assertion and its obtaining of the memo in the first place underscore the no-holds-barred battle under way as Washington's fight over gun restrictions heats up.

The memo, under the name of one of the Justice Department's leading crime researchers, critiques the effectiveness of gun control proposals, including some of President Barack Obama's. A Justice Department official called the memo an unfinished review of gun violence research and said it does not represent administration policy.

The memo says requiring background checks for more gun purchases could help, but also could lead to more illicit weapons sales. It says banning assault weapons and high capacity ammunition magazines produced in the future but exempting those already owned by the public, as Obama has proposed, would have limited impact because people now own so many of those items.

It also says that even total elimination of assault weapons would have little overall effect on gun killings because assault weapons account for a limited proportion of those crimes.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The NRA's assertion and its **obtaining of the memo in the first place** underscore the no-holds-barred battle under way as Washington's fight over gun restrictions heats up. ::QUOTE::

Sounds like the AP was kinda ticked that the NRA got a copy of it.
    darbo likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I thought for once the main stream media was actually stating facts, not opinion or made up stats.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

For once I would wish that each and every intelligent man think for himself. Not what the government thinks on your behalf, and not relying on an entity speaking on your behalf....but actually standing up for yourself despite what you hear or give faith to. Quit placing the blame for your shortcomings on someone else for once in your life and get real.
    To hell with the blame game. Just look in the mirror and decide for yourself.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Sadly, this entire battle will be won or lost based on who has the most money to support "who" in public office.
    Just have a look how Bloomberg is trying to buy the special election in Illinois.
    oneshot and msgt/ret like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    AP/UPI/Liberal Press = Crybabies
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Sponsored Links