Universal Background Checks

This is a discussion on Universal Background Checks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did anyone catch the NRA stream of Wayne la Pierre about the universal background check and thoughts of that turning into universal registration? One concern ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Universal Background Checks

Did anyone catch the NRA stream of Wayne la Pierre about the universal background check and thoughts of that turning into universal registration?

One concern I have about the universal background check that I haven't heard anyone raise is this:

So to sell any gun to a private individual you have to go to someone with their FFL and have a background check done.

What happens if the government (once that passed) decides to limit the number of people who can get their FFL? One per city, or county, or state???? Or make it so filled with hoops to jump through that it limits many people from being able to obtain the FFL? Or they set a minimum cost for the background check that would make it so the total cost of buying a gun is ridiculous? If everything HAS to go through that, then there's an easy way to get rid of guns!

Some may think I'm paranoid, but I just do not trust the government with basically anything at this point.
    The more the government is involved in something the more crap you have to deal with and the more inefficient everything gets!

Thoughts?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

The things you are saying is why the NRA says it is just another infringement of your 2A rights. It also starts that slippery slope. One thing leads to the next (registration) which leads to the next (confiscation).
    Richard58 and msgt/ret like this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Senior Moderator
    Did anyone catch the NRA stream of Wayne la Pierre about the universal background check and thoughts of that turning into universal registration?
    Yeah.

One concern I have about the universal background check that I haven't heard anyone raise is this:

So to sell any gun to a private individual you have to go to someone with their FFL and have a background check done.
    We have raised plenty of concern about it and discussed it much, here on this forum.

What happens if the government (once that passed) decides to limit the number of people who can get their FFL? One per city, or county, or state???? Or make it so filled with hoops to jump through that it limits many people from being able to obtain the FFL? Or they set a minimum cost for the background check that would make it so the total cost of buying a gun is ridiculous? If everything HAS to go through that, then there's an easy way to get rid of guns!
    Who knows? Have you ever seen the government give up control of anything? All they would have to do is raise the fee for FFL's to a price that no one could afford to pay unless you were a multi-million dollar a year company.

Some may think I'm paranoid, but I just do not trust the government with basically anything at this point.
    If you trust them to pour piss out of a boot, then you aren't paying attention.

The more the government is involved in something the more crap you have to deal with and the more inefficient everything gets!
    Yep
    Thoughts?
    UBC's are nothing more than a scheme to eventually confiscate guns. That's all its ever been about and that's all it will ever be about. Most people are too stupid to figure it out. Congratulations. You figured it out. Figuring out the schemes of the government is not being paranoid, it only comes from paying attention.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I had said a few months ago,i wasn't concerned about background cks on me.They could run any on me,they wanted.What i didn't realize at the time,is it would also include gun registration also.I don't think it's anyone's business,what someone chooses to buy.I just want to know,whatever the feds are going to try or not try,when will it happen?

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    How does this prevent a criminal from buying a gun from another criminal? It doesn't.

How does this prevent a criminal from stealing a gun? It doesn't.

What does it do? Link every serial number to a SSN, name, address, DOB, etc.

Gee. Why would Obama want to do that?

Universal background checks is for your own good.......... Dad said........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Re: Universal Background Checks

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    I had said a few months ago,i wasn't concerned about background cks on me.They could run any on me,they wanted.What i didn't realize at the time,is it would also include gun registration also.I don't think it's anyone's business,what someone chooses to buy.I just want to know,whatever the feds are going to try or not try,when will it happen?
    It will happen when YOU don't write, call, email, and fax YOUR representatives in the house, senate, executive branch; at both the Federal AND State level and tell them that you don't want it to happen at all. EVER.
    Richard58 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    It will happen when YOU don't write, call, email, and fax YOUR representatives in the house, senate, executive branch; at both the Federal AND State level and tell them that you don't want it to happen at all. EVER.

If you the concerned citizen won't at least do one of the above, then join the NRA to help fit the bill too fight back.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Is someone dropping the ball on Universal Background Checks or am I not seeing something........

The "Brady Bill" brought background checks to America, however it went to the Supreme Court who ruled such checks as unconstitutional(as a federal mandate and left it up to states) yet did not strike down the entire Bill:
    In its 1997 decision(Printz v. United States, 521 U.S. 898, 1997) in the case, the Supreme Court ruled that the provision of the Brady Act that compelled state and local law enforcement officials to perform the background checks was unconstitutional on 10th amendment grounds. The Court determined that this provision violated both the concept of federalism and that of the unitary executive. However, the overall Brady statute was upheld and state and local law enforcement officials remained free to conduct background checks if they so chose. The vast majority continued to do so. In 1998, background checks for firearm purchases became mostly a federally run activity when NICS came online, although many states continue to mandate state run background checks before a gun dealer may transfer a firearm to a buyer.
    Printz v. United States, 521 U.S. 898, 1997 - Google Scholar

Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act
    Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, my take on the Supreme Court ruling of 1997 would still hold true today as far as a Universal Background Check being in violation of the 10th Amendment. Or as I stated --- Am I missing something here?????

What are your thoughts??
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Unless they have universal registration, how would they ever enforce universal background checks? For example, let's say this passes. You have a hunting rifle that you and your lifelong best buddy Bubba have sold back and forth to each other 8 times over the last 25 years. Let's say you decide you want something different and you know Bubba would love to have this gun back due to sentimental value. So, let's hypothetically say you did the same thing you always did. You sold it to him in your kitchen for cash. Now, let's say Bubba is on his way home and gets pulled over for speeding and the officer sees his rifle in the back seat. There's only ONE way he can tell if it went through the legal process of a background check or not and that is if the government requires REGISTRATION of every gun. Without that, Bubba can't prove he did and the police can't prove he didn't. THAT'S where this Universal Background check is heading. It's not about the check, it's about the registration. UB is just a means to get there.
    ccw9mm and msgt/ret like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Latest news is that it is a done deal in the senate except debate over whether to keep records of private transactions. The exception will be for CCW holders as they have already gone through a background check.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Latest news is that it is a done deal in the senate except debate over whether to keep records of private transactions. The exception will be for CCW holders as they have already gone through a background check.
    Do you have a link to this?
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Obama has a lot of Supreme Court cases against him to jump over to get what he wants. Gonna be interesting to see how he does that.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Do you have a link to this?
    Senators near a deal on background checks for most private gun sales - The Washington Post
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Is this site full of Paranoid people or RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERs.. I get sick and tired of having to sift through posts that are using an EXCUSE to find ones that provide a rational response to any Second Amendment issue.. Don't you realize that the anti-gun masses use the EXCUSE MENTALITY in an attempt to show that there are more GUN RADICALS in the nation than there are RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS. If you read the comments in just about any forum or news media, it sure appears that way.

The best way to promote our 2nd amendment rights is by reading that post and how comes off as sounding before pushing that reply button. Do you want to promote your cause or provide ammunition against it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links