Heard on Fox?

This is a discussion on Heard on Fox? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heard on Fox News this morning that several lower courts have ruled with different opinions if we have a right to concealed carry? Now it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Heard on Fox?

Heard on Fox?

Heard on Fox News this morning that several lower courts have ruled with different opinions if we have a right to concealed carry? Now it will be referred to the Supreme Court and they said that based on what the Supreme Court ruled we all might be denied the right to carry concealed? I thought my state gave me the right with my concealed carry permit to carry concealed? Anyone else see this on the news?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    If true, then I'll start OC'ing everywhere.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Senior Moderator
    I think the supreme court will rule that states can decided if they will allow CC or not
    smolck and OldVet like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I think the supreme court will rule that states can decided if they will allow CC or not
    That was the consensus from the anti and pro 2A dude on Fox. The guess is they will not make a broad statement but narrowly define what concealed carry means and how much of a right, if at all, it is. Then let the states regulate it...pretty much like it is now.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Thanks, I feel better now :)

Distinguished Member
    SCOTUS will rule on as little as possible. I am no expert, but from what we have seen from this court I would tend to agree that they will rule that each state can make its own rules re CC.

VIP Member
    From the story, "In its ruling, the three-judge panel cited a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms is not infringed by laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons."

Read more: Federal court says concealed gun permits not protected by 2nd Amendment | Fox News

Anyone have the citation to that USSC ruling? It would be helpful to have that handy for reference
    even though I don't like the opinion.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That is from the 10th Circuit and would apply only to that circuit. The 7th Circuit has ruled that 2A explicitly recognizes the right to bear in public and ordered IL to draft a CC law by June.

No Federal Court has ruled that anyone has the right to concealed carry. What has happened is that one appellate court said Illinois cannot ban ALL forms of carrying (i.e. both open and concealed). IIRC, another circuit ruled that "may issue" was a problem because it created artificial and discriminatory results of who could and who could not.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Well, if words have any meaning at all, bear arms still means bear arms. The Constitution doesn't say buy arms, own arms, it says keep and bear arms. It's in the federal Constitution and in the State Constitutions. I can't see the States surrendering that control to the federal government, or the SCOTUS taking it away from the States. And as pointed out, some States,I'm not sure how many, allow open carry.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

IMO.....these are troubling times we live in for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Exactly what the lawyers they had on fox said. It boils down to states rights. The whole case in question involves a non CO resident who is trying to get a permit. What a tool for making a legal case out of it. Puts us all in jeopardy.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    From the story, "In its ruling, the three-judge panel cited a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms is not infringed by laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons."

Read more: Federal court says concealed gun permits not protected by 2nd Amendment | Fox News

Anyone have the citation to that USSC ruling? It would be helpful to have that handy for reference
    even though I don't like the opinion.

We really are swatting at the piñata here.
    We are trying to argue a right that has already been recognized when the second amendment was created.
    We should be able to get a permit in one state, and carry it in any of the 49 others if we so desired.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

IMHO- the 2nd A protects your right to bear arms and says nothing about concealed carry. It's up to each State to regulate the concealed part.
    nathanjns likes this.
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links