TN Attorney General sides with Obama

This is a discussion on TN Attorney General sides with Obama within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; According to this newly released AG opinion , the TN AG says that TN deeming unconstitutional federal laws as unconstitutional is unconstitutional....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: TN Attorney General sides with Obama

TN Attorney General sides with Obama

According to this newly released AG opinion, the TN AG says that TN deeming unconstitutional federal laws as unconstitutional is unconstitutional.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 28th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I would imagine that Mr. Cooper has no desire to be reappointed in 2014. The Attorney General in Tn. Is appointed by the states Supreme Court for a eight year term. Cooper was appointed in 2006.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I think the AG deeming unconstitutional the state of TN deeming an unconstitutional law as unconstitutional is unconstitutional. But my saying that is constitutional.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    He is likely correct in his opinion. This was hashed out between the federal government and the individual states from 1861 to 1865.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I think the AG deeming unconstitutional the state of TN deeming an unconstitutional law as unconstitutional is unconstitutional. But my saying that is constitutional.
    But sadly, his unconstitutional view is constitutionally protected because the Constitution protects his right to unconstitutional opinions and statements, regardless of how unconstitutional they might be.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

TVJ
    All this is beginning to effect my constitution.....
    pittypat21, RMS and OldVet like this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

The state's lawmakers can waste time, energy, and the taxpayer's money declaring all this stuff unconstitutional only to have a federal court smack them down; or they can just respect the attorney general's opinion.

If you recall, the states did this nonsense once before declaring Obamacare unconstitutional and filing lawsuits and such.

It has nothing to do with whether the attorney general personally agrees with Obama or his policies.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Opinion probably stems from a request by the TN Senate Judicial Committee for an opinion on a pending bill to allow law enforcement within the state to arrest federal officials if they try to enforce new gun laws inside TN. RINO's and Dems on the committee don't want to forward the bill to the full Senate where it would more than likely pass so they are stalling and looking for ways to stop it in the committee. My opinion, not necessarily an expert.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

For Now!

He'll be packing to leave.......soon......IMO.

my head hurts!!!
    atctimmy likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Except he's wrong. There is nothing unconstitutional about a state saying it disagrees with the fed. There's also nothing unconstitutional about state law enforcement refusing to enforce a federal law (again, liberals need to make up their mind on that).

Enjoy unemployment.

Yeah.

We love to throw in their faces that they swore an oath to protect and defend the constitution... and when they do it, we tell 'em to pack their bags.

It very likely is unconstitutional. As pointed out above, the states hashed this out in about 4 year's time.

While the federal government IS limited in what it can force states to do, the states are also limited as to what they may do in opposition to the federal government.

I'm sorry that we can't have it just our way.. but we can't... Texas, as pointed out elsewhere, is trying to craft a law that IS constitutional, that is very specific.. and resists the Federal laws that may be passed.

In the mean time... write your senators, congressmen, the house and senate leadership, your governor, your mayor, and call them and fax them and email them. Because our side isn't buying any air time, and the other side is... and they're getting their air time covered "as news."

All we have is the strength of numbers, and the willingness to communicate our views to our elected offals (no, that is not a misspelling of official).
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I wonder if Obama knows that the supremacy clause includes the 2A.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    I wonder if Obama knows that the supremacy clause includes the 2A.
    Yes it does. But, the recent SCOTUS rulings interpreting the 2nd have allowed for some regulation/restriction.

So now we may have to see how the Supremes interpret their own interpretation... which incorporated "Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons."

Additionally, the ruling my open the door for national registration... "Assuming he is not disqualified from exercising Second Amendment rights, the District must permit Heller to register his handgun and must issue him a license to carry it in the home.

Which is one reason many here have stated that the Heller decision ain't "all that"...

This is why the fight is so critical. And this is why we must get the word out to John Q. Public and must sway him to action on our behalf... And I'll be honest here... We don't need to tell the whole truth... IOW, We don't have to expose the weaknesses in the Heller decision. But everything we say must be true. And, if we are asked about the weakness in the Heller decision, we have to own up to it.

But. We should not give without getting... We have given and given and given... What are they going to give us?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links