Next up: closing the NFA trust loophole

This is a discussion on Next up: closing the NFA trust loophole within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From today's NY Times A growing number of shooting enthusiasts are creating legal trusts to acquire machine guns, silencers or other items whose sale is ...

Thread: Next up: closing the NFA trust loophole

From today's NY Times

A growing number of shooting enthusiasts are creating legal trusts to acquire machine guns, silencers or other items whose sale is restricted by federal law — a mechanism that bypasses the need to obtain law enforcement approval or even undergo criminal background checks.
    Mike Campbell, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which enforces firearms regulations, said that applications filed with the A.T.F. for transfers of restricted firearms to trusts or corporations have more than doubled in the last four years, to more than 39,000 in 2012 from about 15,000 in 2008. He said the increase was largely attributable to the growth in the number of trusts.

Mr. Campbell confirmed that under current regulations, background checks were not required for the buying of restricted firearms through trusts. The agency, he added, was aware of the loophole and was reviewing changes to close it.
    It appears that Chris Dorner is the proximate cause of the renewed interest in NFA trusts becuase he claimed to have bought SBR's and suppressors through a trust. It's also interesting that he was a cop with a top secret security clearance who would have passed any type of background check. I have heard before that since 1934 there have only been two instances of NFA guns being used in crimes and both of them were by cops. Hmm, maybe the ATF is looking in the wrong direction.

Here's the link to the full story http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/us...dayspaper&_r=0

People in the comments section below the article speculated that the ATF will now require all members of a gun trust to be fingerprinted and photographed. Now if they just did that for all the other kinds of trusts we might not have so much money slipping away to the Grand Caymans :-)

I've got to get one done. Keep putting it off. If they make gun trusts just as bureaucratic as the individual system, I guess I'll have to set up a corporation.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

The slippery slope has now been covered with snot, and there seems to be a hammer mill being installed at the bottom of the incline.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsored Links