The Second Amendment Foundation vs the NRA

This is a discussion on The Second Amendment Foundation vs the NRA within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can't believe that I am about to write the following sentence. I just read a great article on Huffington Post. The article is about ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By SpringerXD
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: The Second Amendment Foundation vs the NRA

The Second Amendment Foundation vs the NRA

I can't believe that I am about to write the following sentence. I just read a great article on Huffington Post. The article is about the different approaches of the Second Amendment Foundation and the NRA. I'm a big, big fan of the SAF and barely tolerate the NRA. Read this article and you will understand why. Second Amendment Lawsuits Expose Rift At The Top Of Gun Rights Movement

Of course, HuffPost would like to try to divide the 2A world, but that is not going to happen. Most of us will end up supporting both the SAF's litigation approach and the NRA's 'buy the politicians' approach

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I say join them both, along with the GOA, JPFO, your local 2nd Amendment rights group, and the Libertarian Party and Tea Party.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

The so-called "rift" is hardly new news. Two organizations with different approaches to a common issue. They both serve the rights of American gun owners.

The NRA, by virtue of its size and membership, has a substantial inertia to it which SAF does not. The NRA has much deeper roots - and influence - inside the Beltway. They know how to play the game, and to some extent they are risk-averse in their strategies. When was the last time you heard of a major spanking for the NRA at the hands of the Federal or any state government? Meanwhile, look at what the NRA has accomplished. In the 25 or so years since I got my first permit to carry, as a nation we've moved from only about 35 states with right-to-carry laws to 48 or 49. Further, the NRA has been successful in changing the issuance of CCWs to "shall issue" from "we'll think about it and let you know" in a large number of states. Don't discount their sometimes stodgy methods.

The SAF on the other hand is far more tactical in the way they operate. They pick point targets, rather than a whole force on the other side of a battle line. They probably have more losses than the NRA, but that doesn't mean they're not effective - they are. And with a much small constituency and less financial baggage, they can afford to take greater risks than the NRA. If you asked Alan Gottlieb, he'll be quick to point out why the SAF is more effective than the NRA, but he'll stop short of disavowing the overall ground the NRA has won. The SAF wasn't behind the huge losses of the gun control advocates in the 1994 Congressional elections, the NRA was.

Bottom line is that we need both organizations.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I don't see a rift, merely different approaches to different agendas.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

SAF, GOA, JFPO and NRA all do the dance differently. IMO they each complement each other and are well worth support. No, I don't agree with the tactics of some of them in some instances. Many of the things the NRA does aren't my cuppa. But the anti-American, anti-Constitution liberty-haters aren't going to be slain via one mechanism alone, nor is education of citizens to the point where they'll value informed citizenship again. I think it's going to take a concerted effort by all of them, and far more than that.

Lately, SAF has been making great strides in going for the jugular, working to effect many of the great court decisions in the past 6+ years. But each of the groups is needed, to my way of thinking, each in their own way.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: The Second Amendment Foundation vs the NRA

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    SAF, GOA, JFPO and NRA all do the dance differently. IMO they each complement each other and are well worth support. No, I don't agree with the tactics of some of them in some instances. Many of the things the NRA does aren't my cuppa. But the anti-American, anti-Constitution liberty-haters aren't going to be slain via one mechanism alone, nor is education of citizens to the point where they'll value informed citizenship again. I think it's going to take a concerted effort by all of them, and far more than that.

Lately, SAF has been making great strides in going for the jugular, working to effect many of the great court decisions in the past 6+ years. But each of the groups is needed, to my way of thinking, each in their own way.
    Couldn't agree more. All of the distinct groups have very important roles to fill... Much like our armed forces... But we are now in the beginning battles of a real war. We are being attacked on all flanks, even by some who we might consider to be in our own ranks.

It is best to join forces now, and form a new battle group. Using an old military model, we need an air force, taken from the army air corps.

This "air force" must use the air waves to take the battle over the heads of enemy forces, and show the citizenry that our enemy is theirs, too.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I've belonged to the NRA for many years, upgraded to a Life Membership back in 1988 and upped that to an Endowment Membership this year as a show of support. I also joined the SAF, for the first time, this year. As I see it we need to support the NRA for their political power and the SAF for their court room ability.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Sun Tzu said "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

There are battles to be fought in court against adversaries and there are other battles to be fought less-aggressive and more political.

Every organization who supports the 2A has a role to play. Support as many of them as you can. At a minimum (IMO) is NRA, SAF, GOA, and your state's 2A or gun owner's group. If your state has a CDL (Citizen's Defense League) please join and give to them as generously as you can. The state CDL's are the ones fighting for your rights at the state and local level, often making legal challenges (and winning). If pressed to keep my total memberships to three, I would go with NRA, SAF and the state's CDL.

Links