Have you taken the time to Read the U S CONSTITUTION lately?

This is a discussion on Have you taken the time to Read the U S CONSTITUTION lately? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a newbie here and have been trying to understand some peoples thought process with regards to the second amendment. While it is nice ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Have you taken the time to Read the U S CONSTITUTION lately?

Have you taken the time to Read the U S CONSTITUTION lately?

I am a newbie here and have been trying to understand some peoples thought process with regards to the second amendment. While it is nice to see so many deeply concerned about the issue, it appears as though in some instances, the the U S Constitution is being stripped apart and only parts of it are taken into account.

I am curious whether you have taken the time to read the United States Constitution in it entirety lately. The constitution, being the law of he land, must be taken in its entirety. Parts of it cannot be selectively chosen while other parts disregarded. Article 1 of the U S Constitution needs to be also be adhered to for if not, the U S Constitution is nothing more than a worthless piece of paper.

Our Elected officials, appointed officials, Prosecuting attorneys, judges. military, and for that matter every citizen of the united states are bound by and obligated to abide by the United States Constitution in its entirety.

So please take the time to read and do your best to understand the entire U S Constitution for knowledge is the most important asset there is.

Just my thoughts,

Al
    Moby, Hopyard and crossfireltd like this.

2. Remove Ads

Re: Have you taken the time to Read the U S CONSTITUTION lately?

Interesting when a new member's first post seems to be lecturing us. What, specifically, is your concern?
    gregnsc likes this.

There it is...
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertH View Post
    ... I am curious whether you have taken the time to read the United States Constitution in it entirety lately. The constitution, being the law of he land, must be taken in its entirety. Parts of it cannot be selectively chosen while other parts disregarded. Article 1 of the U S Constitution needs to be also be adhered to for if not, the U S Constitution is nothing more than a worthless piece of paper. ...
    Why, has it been re-written in the last 234 years?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Why, has it been re-written in the last 234 years?
    The point was, many folks take the Constitution's bits and pieces as they are, not within the context of the government's full and complete role. The OP's correct. Many do exactly that, and get it wrong.

Sounds like a friendly reminder to all, on a very important aspect of informed citizenship.

Thanks, AlbertH.
    Hopyard, dV8r and crossfireltd like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The point was, many folks take the Constitution's bits and pieces as they are, not within the context of the government's full and complete role. The OP's correct. Many do exactly that, and get it wrong.

Sounds like a friendly reminder to all, on a very important aspect of informed citizenship.

Thanks, AlbertH.
    By "many folks" I assume you are including the President, his Cabinet, many Senators, Representatives, Gevernors, and Mayors in the United States?
    phreddy likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    By "many folks" I assume you are including the President, his Cabinet, many Senators, Representatives, Gevernors, and Mayors in the United States?
    Yes, them too.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

asking a simple question is lecturing? WOW, I guess the 1st amendment isn't important then

VIP Member
    asking a simple question is lecturing? WOW, I guess the 1st amendment isn't important then
    Has the Constitution changed since the last time I read it?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

A good reminder, a free app can be downloaded of the constitution for your iphone, as well as the bible.
    DontTreadOnI and dV8r like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

The first amendment isn’t for places like this, it’s to keep the government from stopping you from speaking up about things they don’t like.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

I think I know what the OP means...or maybe not.

Consider
    Article. VI.

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.
    Note the bold part. We are constantly bombarded with claims of a "Christian" nation. If that were the case then I'd assume that the authors would have affirmed that in the Constitution however the only reference to Religion in is this slightly negative affirmation.

The Left and Right both butcher the Constitution and serve up their favorite portions. I don't have a problem with that in some cases. After all the Bill of Rights says what it says and none of it should be ignored.

OD*
    The First Amendment is greatly respected here, as are all other Amendments that the Second Amendment defends. We are, however, a privately owned venture and as such, your freedom of speech does not grant you a right to post anything you may wish to say on this forum. These rules are a contract you agree to when you become a member of this forum and members are expected to adhere to them. Those who err cannot complain about censorship, or a perceived loss of first amendment rights. If you do not like our rules or feel you cannot follow them, seek out a new venue to frequent, or start your own.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Albert I could not agree with you more.
    As for folks claiming you're lecturing and as a "NEW MEMBER" no less, please disregard them.
    They have no more rights on this board than you do. And the fact that they post that makes me think they need
    to read the 1st amendment. I agree that annually WE ALL SHOULD READ the documents. I pay my 13 year old
    daughter $100 on the 4th of July every year if she'll read the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights OUT LOUD.

We then go shopping and some how that $100 turns into $200 or $250. But to me it's so important
    to understand the document that are very freedom is dependent upon. And many who say they've read it, haven't.
    You can tell by their posts. I'm also sure some actually have. Remember it was written by lawyers so it's a dry read.

Other documents that really give you a sense of the founding fathers thoughts are the Federalist Papers.
    They remove all doubts about America being founded as a Christian nation.

Welcome to the forums sir. You are a privileged here as the oldest member.

I am a newbie here and have been trying to understand some peoples thought process with regards to the second amendment. While it is nice to see so many deeply concerned about the issue, it appears as though in some instances, the U S Constitution is being stripped apart and only parts of it are taken into account.

I am curious whether you have taken the time to read the United States Constitution in it entirety lately. The constitution, being the law of he land, must be taken in its entirety. Parts of it cannot be selectively chosen while other parts disregarded. Article 1 of the U S Constitution needs to be also be adhered to for if not, the U S Constitution is nothing more than a worthless piece of paper.

Our Elected officials, appointed officials, Prosecuting attorneys, judges. military, and for that matter every citizen of the united states are bound by and obligated to abide by the United States Constitution in its entirety.

So please take the time to read and do your best to understand the entire U S Constitution for knowledge is the most important asset there is.

Just my thoughts,

Al

I am a newbie here and have been trying to understand some peoples thought process with regards to the second amendment. While it is nice to see so many deeply concerned about the issue, it appears as though in some instances, the the U S Constitution is being stripped apart and only parts of it are taken into account.

Just my thoughts,

Al
    I have, and have also read most of the written debates on it at the time it was written. In order to understand its applicability to any specific issue you have to understand some general rules that have been in existence almost as long as the document itself.

First, the duty of interpretation lies with the Federal Courts and ultimately with the Supreme Court as explained in Justice Marshall's opinion in Marbury v. Madison. Then the Court applies some basic rules to do this. The easiest to understand is that later Amendments generally supersede the original Articles and earlier Amendments. When Articles and Amendments come into conflict in a particular issue before the Court, the conflict is decided based on a "balancing" of the the rights and duties at play. Some of these rights and responsibilities are explicit based on the words of the Constitution and others are implied because without doing so, other explicit rights and responsibilities would not make sense. As an example the explicit rights in the 3rd, 4th, and 9th, Amendments taken together imply a right to privacy, at least on the things enumerated in the 3rd and 4th.

Second, there is the concept of stare decisis. This means that to the degree an issue is similar to a previous decision, the past ruling is the law of the land. In order to get a similar case heard, a party must in the least spell out why the current case is different from the past cases and that the current interpretation of the law causes some deprivation of rights to a party under the Constitution. If it is willing to hear the case, the SC will again apply the methods described above.

The point of my explanation is that Supreme Court actually decides the details of the Constitution; the pieces of real life that are more complicated than the document taken alone. As time passes, some rights and responsibilities are interpreted to be more important or less important as the membership of the Court changes and as society changes. This pace of change is generally slow and steady so people can adjust. The troubles we see today are the result of a rapid increase in the rate of social change and the difficulty of balancing all the different rights and responsibilities and that's why the Constitution cannot mean exactly the same thing to one person as another.

That said, the rights to life, liberty and property are fundamental to the individual and a government of the people cannot exist without their strong defense. These concepts informed the very founding of this nation and are the reason it exists. Without them our government is a best illegitimate and at worst a tyranny. If we lose them, the Constitution itself is irrelevant.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links