FFL data...... Readily seached by ATF?

This is a discussion on FFL data...... Readily seached by ATF? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a quick question for all of those that are FFL holders. What circumstances other than a weapon found at a crime, can the ...

Thread: FFL data...... Readily seached by ATF?

FFL data...... Readily seached by ATF?

I have a quick question for all of those that are FFL holders.

What circumstances other than a weapon found at a crime, can the ATF request information from an FFL?

Its seems that when the ATF comes knocking, the FFL has to divulge.

Is this accurate? Can the ATF ultimately develop their own registry thru this process?

Are their legal protections for the FFL to not divulge everything if requested?

Just curious

Deano
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

2. Remove Ads

Read this: Gun shop owner sues ATF over reports - The Firing Line Forums

It makes me wonder how many FFL's have caved to the ATF and given up records wholesale. Bob Marcus at Bob's gun store in Norfolk, VA may have the money to take the fight against the ATF to court while many smaller FFL's do not.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

It's been many years since I surrendered my FFL, but as I recall it, if ATF wanted to review your records for any reason, it was the FFL's responsibility to make them available. Might have changed, but that's how it used to be.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    It's been many years since I surrendered my FFL, but as I recall it, if ATF wanted to review your records for any reason, it was the FFL's responsibility to make them available. Might have changed, but that's how it used to be.
    From what I understand the ATF can request specific transaction records, but not copy all records to enter into a database. Is that correct?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Links