A bit of info, behind the scene in Congress.

This is a discussion on A bit of info, behind the scene in Congress. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend of mine and a group of other men, about four I think, just returned from a quick trip to D.C. Each year a ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool

Thread: A bit of info, behind the scene in Congress.

VIP Member

A friend of mine and a group of other men, about four I think, just returned from a quick trip to D.C. Each year a small group will go there and visit some of our congressmen for a day or so for face-to-face meetings. Not 2A related, but it just so happens all of this group is pro 2A.

During their meetings they intentionally brought up 2A later to give their support, and to hear the congressman's opinion:

Sen Vitter- As I've mentioned before he's strong 2A, my friend absolutely agrees.
    Rep Fleming- I suspected was strong 2A, and my friend confirmed that.
    Rep Alexander- I don't really know him, but my friend was impressed with his 2A committment as well.
    Sen Landrieu- She, nor one of her aides, were available for their scheduled appointment time. They were a no-show, that will not benefit her status in Louisiana, she's up for re-election in 2014, and should have deep concerns.

To me the most interesting thing my friend told me that when they were in the waiting rooms of the various congressmen, he could easily overhear the staff answering the phones. Of course he could only hear one side of the conversation but that was enough for him to figure out the content. He said the two biggest call subjects were about the sequestration and 2A.

It was his opinion that there were more pro 2A calls coming in than from the anti's. He said there were definitely some callers wanting more gun control. It's no secret that Vitter, Fleming and Alexander are STRONG pro 2A people, probably unwavering, but the anti's were not bashful about calling them for their support for more gun control.

What this tells me is that there are organizations that are anti-gun, or have that tendency, and they are active enough to get out the word to their members to make phone calls. No secret in all of this, but there it is, clearly happening. Let's don't sit back and let them surge or overwhelm us, I don't think they are, but by all means let's not stop hammering.

He also overheard a bit from two staffers discussing the ratio of pro and con calls that day, so as I've always said, your calls are VERY important, the staff keeps up with the stats and reports that stuff to their bosses.

By all means, continue to call, write, email Congress as much as possible.

Make noise, complacency is our enemy.

I AIN'T QUITTIN' I'M REVVED UP.
    Last edited by ppkheat; February 28th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
    BugDude likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks for that insider info, PPK...

Of course, that's important, keeping up the fight.

I'd surly rather win this battle in the offices of government that I would try to win it in the bloody streets... and I hope it never comes to the latter, because the former was successful.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Thanks for that insider info, PPK...

Of course, that's important, keeping up the fight.

I'd surly rather win this battle in the offices of government that I would try to win it in the bloody streets... and I hope it never comes to the latter, because the former was successful.
    So true, and add "courtroom" to that as well, let's work hard and stifle this in Congress.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    BTW, and speaking of calling congressmen, the NRA called my house today and my wife happened to answer. The NRA lady told her that the White House was putting a great deal of pressure on Sen. Landrieu to support gun control (we already knew this) and she asked my wife would we be willing to call Sen. Landrieu. We'd already called her but my wife said "yes" anyway. The NRA lady said, "would you like for us to connect you with her office now"? My wife said "absolutely", and the next thing she knew she was speaking with a Landrieu staff member. My wife, of course, clearly told her what our 2A position was.

I'm writing this, because I like how the NRA had the ability to connect a member right to Landrieu's office. We'd already called her, but for other people who are busy or whatever, you instantly get connected at that time, and take care of the call right then. Calling a congressman can be one of those back-burner things that are easy to put off, I think this helps solve some of that.
    blanco64 likes this.

Thanks for that information. It's good to hear that in the (I assume) relatively short period of time your friends waited to see their representatives that several pro 2A calls came in, and it was more than the anti 2A calls. That gives me hope, not of course for every district or every state, but overall. Also, good info about the NRA. Hopefully they are calling more members now than they ever have, and it's good to know that if we get a call from them, that they will have the ability to connect us directly with our representatives. That's pretty cool. I call my reps on a regular basis, but if the NRA calls me and asks if I want to them to connect me with my Senator, I'll very gladly say "of course!"
    ppkheat likes this.

Links