What if a ban on magazines over 10 happens?

This is a discussion on What if a ban on magazines over 10 happens? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well here it is. The title pretty much says it all. I really don't think that a magazine ban will happen on a federal level ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What if a ban on magazines over 10 happens?

Well here it is. The title pretty much says it all. I really don't think that a magazine ban will happen on a federal level but what if hypothetically it were to pass. Now I haven't seen any talk on the federal level that a ban on "assault weapons and high capacity magazines" would lead to a mandatory buyback, what if it passed and we were allowed to keep the ones we already have.

How do you think it will affect those of us that have carry pieces that hold 13 rounds or 15 rounds or in the case of my SR9c a 17 round magazine. Would we be required to stop carrying those weapons because they hold more than 10 rounds. On a personal level it doesn't bother me as much as if they try for a national gun registry because I do have 10 round magazines for my SR9c but I still don't it's right. I really don't see like the case of New York where the government can force you to get rid of something you purchased legally just because they don't like it.

Anyway tell me what you think. Would we no longer be able to carry a weapon with a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds?

Thanks for your consideration.

Jason
    I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

government can force you to get rid of something you purchased legally just because they don't like it.
    Right or wrong, they've done that before... and we fought a civil war over that... I wonder if it will go that far this time.

New York has enacted such a ban (on magazine capacity). It is illegal to have a weapon with more than 7 rounds in a detachable magazine. It was initially illegal for police to do so as well, but they "fixed" that. No grandfathering, no you get to keep it if you already had it. You can sell it, out of state, or turn it in.

Can it happen on a national level? Maybe. It's less likely to happen if you write your representatives, and they vote based on the desires of their constituency. But they don't always do that... See, they're smarter than you. If you don't believe me ask them. In the mean time, if you don't want them to ban your property, or take it from you, or force you to sell it... You need to let them know. And quit wondering "what if they do?"

Within the next few decades, you may find that you'd rather be alive on your knees, that dead underground... It's all up to you, and me and every other sovereign individual to make our voices heard and to make the country run for We the People..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    If a ban on mags over 10 happens...then everyone will be like us here in Massachusetts.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

VIP Member
    The fact that NY didn't grandfather those that already had the equipment, freaks me out a little. If I was a NY citizen, I'd be a refugee on my way to a free state.

I don't think I'm ready to pack up and leave my nation if things go that direction.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    In the previous “Guns that terrify liberals” ban we were allowed keep the magazines we already had on hand. All normal capacity magazines were stamped LEO/Military only and not available to the general populace.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I would anticipate lawsuits.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I do believe that NY if you already own higher capacity mags, you can only load 7 rounds. I don't believe that you can't have higher capacity mags if previously owned. I believe that it is illegal to gave more than 7 rounds in a mag.
    (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Well, Fienstien wants to follow NYs lead and ban them all, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim. That would make the cost of "pre-ban" mags skyrocket, and anyone who has enough will be happy they do, and anyone with extra will be able to buy a whole bunch of new revolvers, since that is all that will be allowed practically.

I agree with oakchas, make sure your representatives know how you feel.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtime_077 View Post
    Well here it is. The title pretty much says it all. I really don't think that a magazine ban will happen on a federal level but what if hypothetically it were to pass. Now I haven't seen any talk on the federal level that a ban on "assault weapons and high capacity magazines" would lead to a mandatory buyback, what if it passed and we were allowed to keep the ones we already have.

How do you think it will affect those of us that have carry pieces that hold 13 rounds or 15 rounds or in the case of my SR9c a 17 round magazine. Would we be required to stop carrying those weapons because they hold more than 10 rounds. On a personal level it doesn't bother me as much as if they try for a national gun registry because I do have 10 round magazines for my SR9c but I still don't it's right. I really don't see like the case of New York where the government can force you to get rid of something you purchased legally just because they don't like it.

Anyway tell me what you think. Would we no longer be able to carry a weapon with a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds?

Thanks for your consideration.

Jason
    If you are on the side that I'd be on, I think you would be encouraged to use the magazines that hold the most rounds so you won't have to reload as often when you are shooting at our enemy. If you are fighting on the other side, do whatever pleases your masters.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Scary no matter how you look at it. No one should have to give up their rights, period.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

OD*
    To take a page from the democratic handbook, my magazines won't be illegal, they will only be undocumented.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Let me start off by just saying its a stupid idea to limit magazine capacity. That being said, a smart idiot would make it illegal to possess a magazine that is actually holding more than X amount of rounds rather than illegal to possess a magazine that is capable of holding X amount of rounds.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

VIP Member
    I'll go with the 1006, so it's all good.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    To take a page from the democratic handbook, my magazines won't be illegal, they will only be undocumented.
    I think your on to something...

I'm now an undocumented patriot and gun owner. Theres no way I'll be arrested, hassled or detained.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

They won't be taking a damn thing from me!
    I bought it, I own it and if they want it.... Come get them....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links