Gun Owner Is Arrested After Having His Home Illegally Searched

This is a discussion on Gun Owner Is Arrested After Having His Home Illegally Searched within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Gun Owner Is Arrested After Having His Home Illegally Searched

Gun Owner Is Arrested After Having His Home Illegally Searched

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well just a couple of observations as there are always at least three sides to every story. His, theirs and the truth.

He is an IT professional working at a major company and by the ladies account he is living in a crime ridden neighborhood in Jersey City something does not jive.

She stated that he was in the process of getting permits for his guns in Jersey. In the process of getting permits does not constitute legal possession. I do not know the laws there but I believe that they ban all sorts of firearms and weapons in that state and if in fact he was in possession of them he was in violation.

In regards to the search can't really say with just the comments on the video. Hope it works out for him.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If his home was illegally searched, then the charges will be thrown out...........summin' like that.

Many, many of us are likely to have our homes illegally searched and guns seized and be arrested and become felons for life, or dead, unless we stand together arm in arm and stop these idiots from stealing our freedom.
    Moby, tkruf, Bark'n and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    R&G. That is correct anything seized as a result of an unlawful search would be considered fruit of the poisonous tree and would not be admissible in court, just saying something sounds fishy about the whole thing. Having unlawful/unregistered weapons in NJ is not a smart thing to do.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Here is the landlords statement. Apparently the police did not kick in a door or force entry the landlord let them as that is where the boiler was.

UPDATE ON WHAT HAPPENED-THE OWNER'S SIDE OF THE STORY- Yesterday I spoke to the owner who let the cops into Keith's apartment.He described the incident in this way-The upstairs neighbor was complaining about the heating problem. He said the guy upstairs from Keith is sick with diabetes and is also has some mental problems. The upstairs neighbor, according the owner, ALWAYS complains about people, tenants in the building, and calls the cops a lot. On this evening he was complaining about the heat and thought that Keith was turning the heat off when he would leave for work. The owner explained that there was something wrong with the heating system and that someone would be there to fix it Saturday.The tenant initially said ok. The owner said that the tenant complained again about it because he could hear Keith laughing about something inside his apartment and believed that Keith was laughing about him so he called the police. When the police arrived they 1st spoke to the neighbor who made the complaint. They then went next door to the owners apartment. The owner said they were very forceful with him and talked to him like he was working for them, demanding that he open Keith's apartment and fix the problem. The owner explained that he could not fix the problem and could not get anyone there before Saturday. The police threatened the owner and said he needed to fix it now. When the owner opened Keith's apartment the officer walked in and knocked on Keith's bedroom door ( this is the loud noise Keith said he heard through his headphones) He had NO idea that there are people inside his apartment so he grabs the zipper pouch with his hand gun inside. When he sees the police at the front with the landlord and someone in his living room he puts it down, but the officer saw the motion, drew his gun on him, and asked what it was he had in his hand. With guns drawn they went into his room, found the zipper pouch, unzipped it to reveal the hand gun, and place Keith under arrest. This is what the landlord described.

- See more at: Stand4Keith & Fight Police Tyranny in NJ by Roslyn Campbell - GoFundMe
    It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Once they found the unregistered/illegal handgun the search was now incidental to arrest so a warrant was not, generally speaking, required. Whether they overstepped their bounds will be for the courts to decide.
    atctimmy likes this.

If they do a knock and talk and say we hear you have firearms on the premises and our records indicate that you don't have a permit etc.If he said no get out of here then unless they can get a search warrant he's good,if he said no you can search,then it is no longer an illegal search.If he didn't give permission to search then it's an illegal search.
    You would be surprised how many people will give an LEO permission to search thinking that it implies they have nothing to hide thinking the LEO's will think that and then just leave,you give consent and they will tear your house apart
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's still sad to see in our country, the taking of guns simply because they're guns.
    RickyD, KBSR, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Duke. I don't think anything was mentioned at all about him having guns until he had the day planner thing in his hand and it went from there.

I think the main call was in reference to the heat situation. Who knows

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. He apparantly decided to have a firearm under conditions where it was illegal. Sounds like he has a job. Usually equates to being a tax payer. If I was him, when the dust settles I would insure that my taxes went to a state that supports my rights.
    vilecanards and tkruf like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My question is, in the first place what justification do the cops have getting involved with someone's heat situation? Since when does anyone in the government fed/state/local, in NJ give a rats tail about your heat? They had no right to be there. The landlord had no right going into his apartment while he was home without knocking and being let in. Permits in other States does not equal a permit in NJ. He may have been in the wrong having illegal possessed firearms in the State of NJ, but there are circumstances here that should get it thrown out. He needs a good lawyer, and then he needs to get his rear end out of NJ and move to a State that respects his rights.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If they do a knock and talk and say we hear you have firearms on the premises and our records indicate that you don't have a permit etc.If he said no get out of here then unless they can get a search warrant he's good,if he said no you can search,then it is no longer an illegal search.If he didn't give permission to search then it's an illegal search.
    You would be surprised how many people will give an LEO permission to search thinking that it implies they have nothing to hide thinking the LEO's will think that and then just leave,you give consent and they will tear your house apart
    The big question would be then, Did Keith have an illegally modified AR (cause that is whats being implied) with a substantial amount of ammo and evidence to suggest he was trafficking to known person's who are prohibited from possessing. What's also needs to be known is if Keith is a felon or not. If not then no arrest's necessary and Jersey will be sued into the ground for ruining this man's life. Though Im not sure how much good it will do since state is broke like an overweight prostitute, which there are plenty of in Jersey City.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Not passing judgement on this case yet.
    But sense when has being against the law stopped LEO form doing what they want.
    If it PC to do so, no law will slow them down the world has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    My question is, in the first place what justification do the cops have getting involved with someone's heat situation? Since when does anyone in the government fed/state/local, in NJ give a rats tail about your heat? They had no right to be there. The landlord had no right going into his apartment while he was home without knocking and being let in. Permits in other States does not equal a permit in NJ. He may have been in the wrong having illegal possessed firearms in the State of NJ, but there are circumstances here that should get it thrown out. He needs a good lawyer, and then he needs to get his rear end out of NJ and move to a State that respects his rights.
    I don't live in NJ. Years ago I had a couple room mates from time to time. It is the Landlord's RESPONSIBILITY TO ASSURE HEAT, WATER and POWER are working and in good order. NOT THE POLICE!!! Any cop anywhere except perhaps Ca or NEW JERSEY will tell you THIS IS A CIVIL MATTER!! Everything about this STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN.

True it sounds like Keith is gonna get hung out to dry for the AR and the handgun. But I HOPE he gets his day in court with a Sharp Attorney. Many years ago sum lawyer name of Spence or Spencer in a high profile case that went viral across the US got his client off cuz the cops were in violation of the clients rights.

When all is said and done I hope he SUES his landlord and these bogus NJ cops to the point where the landlord is a homeless man and that police department is disbanded and FLAT BROKE.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    tacman605, good digging that link. Weird how the guy's last name is so elusive. It's on the FB page in the vid but mostly illegible.
    There's no law that says a socially-conscious employee of a bank can't live in a bad neighborhood.
    Seems like he has a good case and that the cops weren't there to protect and serve anyone or anything.
    CharlesMorri and DPro.40 like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links