florida-bill-would-broaden-stand-your-ground-law

This is a discussion on florida-bill-would-broaden-stand-your-ground-law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Florida Bill Would Broaden 'Stand Your Ground' Law News -- GOPUSA A Polk County legislator who once fired a warning shot to scare ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: florida-bill-would-broaden-stand-your-ground-law

florida-bill-would-broaden-stand-your-ground-law

Florida Bill Would Broaden 'Stand Your Ground' Law News -- GOPUSA

A Polk County legislator who once fired a warning shot to scare away burglars has introduced a bill in the Florida House that would expand the state's "stand your ground" law.

It would grant immunity to people who fire a warning shot and to those who pull a weapon, hoping the sight of it would frighten away an attacker. Both are currently illegal.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I dunno about "warning shots." Do we really want people firing shots in the air (or ground) as a "warning?" Shouldn't the presentment of the weapon be enough?

This doesn't seem like a well thought piece of legislation with respect to unintended consequences.
    Darrow75 and bigmacque like this.

We need everything and anything we can get.........IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I dunno about "warning shots." Do we really want people firing shots in the air (or ground) as a "warning?" Shouldn't the presentment of the weapon be enough?

This doesn't seem like a well thought piece of legislation with respect to unintended consequences.
    Joe Biden thinks it's a good idea...so...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    Joe Biden thinks it's a good idea...so...
    Ha! That would quite the comeback on the floor debate, no? "The sponsor reminds the opposition that the sponsor is adopting the Vice President's recommendation to fire warning shots."
    nedrgr21, awoodpd13 and bigmacque like this.

I thought you had to go out on a balcony or shoot through a closed door for warning shots to be a deterrent.

It's just FL's way of protecting its citizenry from the stupidity of the Federal gov't.
    bigmacque likes this.

I could see a warning shot stopping someone from getting killed.
    too often people, especially younger men, think no one will shoot them.
    I had an incident where 4 teens were trying to steal my car.
    I caught them. they were more fearful of my Rotti than my Glock.

I agree sending flying lead is always dangerous. But some young fool might live.

I like the fact that the FL legislature is considering adding some legal protection for it's citizens who find themselves in a defensive situation. I could see it having some benefit. For instance, if a BG pulls a knife on you and you draw your weapon, and the BG runs. It's good to know you won't be prosecuted for "brandishing" or some such offense. I'm not so sure about the warning shots though. From a practical standpoint, I'm not in favor of warning shots. Too many things could go wrong.
    bigmacque likes this.

Re: florida-bill-would-broaden-stand-your-ground-law

Write your reps! We need all the pro 2a bills we can get!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Well im probably over simplifying it since I dont live in Fla but if they have a law that can punish a person for drawing a weapon in self defense and not firing it that is just stupid. If the BG stops or starts to back off when I draw and I dont shoot him anyway I can be arrested???? Something wrong with that picture.
    bigmacque likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida does not have a law making drawing a firearm illegal--when done in self defense. It would be pointless as that would imply that if you draw, you have to fire.

This is the statute concerning "brandishing" that is often called into question, but you can see it clearly exempts for reason of self-defense.

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—
    If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. [My bold]

And just a note for the legal experts, isn't the part of the statute stating "the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree" a violation of "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law"? Just curious...
    Last edited by OldVet; March 1st, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
    StevePVB and awoodpd13 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I like the fact that the FL legislature is considering adding some legal protection for it's citizens who find themselves in a defensive situation. I could see it having some benefit. For instance, if a BG pulls a knife on you and you draw your weapon, and the BG runs. It's good to know you won't be prosecuted for "brandishing" or some such offense. I'm not so sure about the warning shots though. From a practical standpoint, I'm not in favor of warning shots. Too many things could go wrong.
    In Texas, there is no prosecution of the part I bolded above if I avoid shooting. You are prosecuted in FL for that? Perp presents a lethal tool..felony...then present in self defense and "before you could shoot" perp turned tail. Illegal in FL, really?

If so, the tactical and legal answer is obvious, bolded and underlined: Shoot to neutralize.

Id like to see the FL law quoted on this one....
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Yeah I'm not on board with warning shots. And like Old Vet said, we don't get prosecuted down here if we pull a weapon in self defense and the BG then runs off. I'm glad we've got pro 2A stuff going on, Combee is actually my rep and I like him, but to me this one is a waste of time.

Combee fired warning shots when a friend's house was being burglarized. It worked out ok for him, but IMO it doesn't meet self defense when you see someone's house being robbed, block the BG's vehicle, fire warning shots and tell them to put the stuff back.

I was once told to never say never and never say always. There just may be a time that a warning shot might be appropriate and accomplish its goal. Not saying I intend to do so, just saying it could happen and perhaps save a life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links