Very refreshing

Very refreshing

This is a discussion on Very refreshing within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got this answer from one of our Michigan legislators. Nice for a change. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me to voice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Very refreshing

Very refreshing

Just got this answer from one of our Michigan legislators. Nice for a change.

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me to voice your support for the Second Amendment.

I swore an oath to defend the Constitution. This is a sacred trust. The Constitution includes all amendments and the Second Amendment is no exception.

Furthermore, I would like you to know that as an English teacher, I understand the meaning of a subordinate clause, and I do not buy into the argument that the language concerning the necessity of a militia has any bearing on the fact that the 2nd Amendment clearly confers the right to keep and bear arms, without infringement, upon the people, not the government, and I consider criminalizing guns that millions of Americans already own, guns capable of defending one against multiple attackers, to be infringement in the first degree.

Merriam-Webster defines infringement as “an encroachment or trespass on a right or privilege,” and encroachment as “[the entering] by gradual steps or by stealth into the possessions or rights of another.” That definition suits present-day attempts to limit gun rights perfectly.

As a schoolteacher, I was shaken by the events that took place in Connecticut. But depriving people of the right to defend themselves as they see fit is surely no solution.

I, for one, will honor my oath to defend the Constitution, and I will hold firm against any attempt to restrict your right to protect yourself and your family.

I thank you for your activism. It is surely the truth that eternal vigilance is the price of liberty, and if constituents across America were not speaking up for their rights, our liberty might have been lost long ago.

Sincerely,

Kerry Bentivolio

Member of Congress
    I Love Guns!!!

Campaign for that guy next election.
    Eagleks likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by brad426 View Post
    campaign for that guy next election.
    hell yeah!!
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Very nice.

to Mr. Bentivolio for 'getting it'.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Very nice.

to Mr. Bentivolio for 'getting it'.
    ^^^^^^^
    Couldn't have said it any better
    Funny how when the office holder says what HE just wrote, you can almost tell right from the git-go you're not getting snowjobbed.
    TX expat likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Think how much better off we'd be if we had more teachers like him. We probably wouldn't even be having this 2A discussion. Nor having many of our other problems with government.

Great answer and response.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Yea, very nice! Great that you took the time and effort to get in touch with your representatives.
    I believe we need to keep writing and calling all our reps and let them know that they represent us and we'll remember them in the voting booth.

I got a two similar and positive responses for Michigan, Joe Hune and Mike Rogers.

I also got two negative responses form Michigan, Debbie Stabenow and Carl Levin. They both tried that "we support hunting" stuff but sensible new laws are in order.

Amazing - an intelligent reply that actually addressed your issue in unequivocal terms!

I hope his ideals rub off on his students. I'd love to see more of his thoughtful kind in public office across our country.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by rutcrazed View Post
    Just got this answer from one of our Michigan legislators. Nice for a change.

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me to voice your support for the Second Amendment.

I swore an oath to defend the Constitution. This is a sacred trust. The Constitution includes all amendments and the Second Amendment is no exception.

Furthermore, I would like you to know that as an English teacher, I understand the meaning of a subordinate clause, and I do not buy into the argument that the language concerning the necessity of a militia has any bearing on the fact that the 2nd Amendment clearly confers the right to keep and bear arms, without infringement, upon the people, not the government, and I consider criminalizing guns that millions of Americans already own, guns capable of defending one against multiple attackers, to be infringement in the first degree.

Merriam-Webster defines infringement as “an encroachment or trespass on a right or privilege,” and encroachment as “[the entering] by gradual steps or by stealth into the possessions or rights of another.” That definition suits present-day attempts to limit gun rights perfectly.

As a schoolteacher, I was shaken by the events that took place in Connecticut. But depriving people of the right to defend themselves as they see fit is surely no solution.

I, for one, will honor my oath to defend the Constitution, and I will hold firm against any attempt to restrict your right to protect yourself and your family.

I thank you for your activism. It is surely the truth that eternal vigilance is the price of liberty, and if constituents across America were not speaking up for their rights, our liberty might have been lost long ago.

Sincerely,

Kerry Bentivolio

Member of Congress
    This is an elected official who obviously gets it.

VIP Member
    May I be the first to nominate Mr Bentivolio for President!
    rutcrazed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
    Yea, very nice! Great that you took the time and effort to get in touch with your representatives.
    I believe we need to keep writing and calling all our reps and let them know that they represent us and we'll remember them in the voting booth.

I got a two similar and positive responses for Michigan, Joe Hune and Mike Rogers.

I also got two negative responses form Michigan, Debbie Stabenow and Carl Levin. They both tried that "we support hunting" stuff but sensible new laws are in order.
    Stabby and Levin do not even read or listen. They just send form letters.
    oneshot likes this.
    I Love Guns!!!

How can we tell if this is a form letter or not?
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

If it is a form letter it is in very good form and to be applauded in any case.

Thanks for something refreshing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links