Georgia Legislation hearing Monday - All help appreciated

This is a discussion on Georgia Legislation hearing Monday - All help appreciated within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; GeorgiaCarry.org could use some help. I got this in an email this afternoon. March 1, 2013 Dear GCO Member, This email is being sent to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Georgia Legislation hearing Monday - All help appreciated

Georgia Legislation hearing Monday - All help appreciated

GeorgiaCarry.org could use some help. I got this in an email this afternoon.

March 1, 2013
    Dear GCO Member,

This email is being sent to over 7700 members of GeorgiaCarry.Org!
    The new bill that GCO is supporting is HB 512 Safe Carry Protection Act.

HB 512 was introduced yesterday and has been assigned to the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee. A hearing is scheduled for Monday, March 4th. The time of the hearing is not known at this time but you will be notified when the time is made available. Most of the meetings are scheduled after the House adjourns.
    We need you to contact the members of the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee and let them know you are for the bill. GCO members who are able to make the meeting should plan to attend and wear your Guns Save Lives Buttons. The members of the committee, along with their contact information are:
    Powell, AlanChairman
    Taylor, Darlene K.Vice Chairman
    Atwood, AlexSecretary
    Neal, JayMember
    We need everyone at the Capitol to understand that this bill has your backing. If you have not contacted your elected officials, please do so today via emails, phone calls and Faxes to your elected officials. Please share this information with all your friends and family and ask they do the same thing remembering the be courteous and respectful to all of our elected officials.
    Your state Representative's and state Senator's contact info can be found here. When you click on the link, you will be taken to this page:
    Welcome To MVP
    My Voter Page
    Use the MVP Log In to check your:
    • Voter registration status
    • Mail-In application and ballot status
    • Poll Location
    • Early Voting Locations
    • Elected Officials
    • Registration information on file with the county office
    • Sample ballot for the upcoming election

Not registered to vote?
    Click here for forms and information on how to register.
    Click here for forms and information for absent military or overseas voters.
    MVP Log In

Your Name and County:
    First Initial:
    Last Name:
    County:
    Your Birthday:
    Month:
    Day:
    Year: (please enter 4 digits)

Fill out the info above and you will be taken to a page that will display the information below in the middle of the page, which will give you your Georgia Senate District and your Georgia House District numbers. Note these numbers and follow the instructions below this box.

Your Qualified Candidates
    Officials Elected Statewide U.S. Congress: District District XXX
    Congressional District Maps

Georgia Senate: District XX
    Georgia House: District ZZZ

When you get the Georgia Senate District, go here. The Senator's names are in alphabetical order. If you click on the "District" tab, it will sort by District. Find your Senate District and click on the name next to that. It will take you to your Senator's information.

When you get the House District, go here. The Representative's names are in alphabetical order. If you click on the "District" tab, it will sort by District. Find your Representative's District and click on the name next to that. It will take you to your Representative's information.
    Contact for Lt. Governor Casey Cagle:
    Lt. Governor Casey Cagle's Email Contact info is here

TEL: (404) 656-5030
    FAX: (404) 656-6739
    Mailing Address:

Office of the Lieutenant Governor
    Administrative Staff
    240 State Capitol
    Atlanta, GA 30334
    Contact for Senate President Pro Tempore David Shafer

President Pro Tempore David Shafer's email address is - david.shafer@senate.ga.gov

TEL: (404) 656-0048
    FAX: (404) 463-5220

Mailing Address - Capitol Office
    321 State Capitol
    Atlanta, GA 30334
    Contact for Governor Nathan Deal:

The Governor's Email Contact info is here:
    Tel: 404-656-1776
    Fax: 404-657-7332
    Mailing Address:
    The Office of the Governor
    State of Georgia
    203 State Capitol
    Atlanta, Georgia 30334
    If you have not already done so, please contact all of your elected officials today with phone calls, letters, emails, and Faxes if possible. We need your elected officials to understand that this bill has your backing and needs to be moved forward.
    Thanks in advance for your efforts getting this bill moved forward.

=======================

www.GeorgiaCarry.Org

Fighting for your right to bear arms!
    tmoore912 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

2. Remove Ads

It's a good Bill. There are some things they (the Sponsors of the Bill) are working through and possibly changing over the weekend before the Monday committee meeting.

There has been some disagreement with another gun group about the changes to the mental health checks done by the Probate Court Judges at application. They have been spreading a lot of misinformation through social media. It seems to be quieting down now, since it appears someone finally read the Bill and put two and two together.

The good thing is the Bill has more than 50 Co-sponsors and many of them are on the Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee it has to go through on Monday afternoon.

If you are a Ga. member, please consider calling or email these committee members and voicing your support for HB 512. Thanks.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Some Highlights of the HB 512:

1. Would remove some of the places off limits from the Georgia Code, such as places of worship and bars.

2. Would partially remove others, such as government buildings that do not provide security guards and colleges outside of dormitories and sports venues.

3. Removes the requirement of being fingerprinted at renewal time. (which saves GWCL holders about $52.75)

4. Broadens the state’s strong preemption language to include weapons other than firearms and include government agencies other than cities and counties.

5. Adds a private right of action to enforce preemption against recalcitrant governments, complete with a provision for attorney fees if you sue and win.

6. Clarifies and reiterates the fact that the non-sterile portions of airports are not off limits, regardless of the presence of a security guard.

7. Narrows the scope of the mental health check to involuntary hospitalizations done by the Probate Court. It sets a maximum time so as not to delay your issuence of a license.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Thanks for the info on this, I will send some E-Mails out shortly. I have seen some Georgia Pastors that support this bill.

On it. Thanks for posting.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Right now, the most important people to email and/or call are the Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee members whose links to their emails are in the OP above. The committee meeting on this Bill is tomorrow @ 3:00 PM.

You should be able to watch the meeting from the Georgia Legislative website here: http://www.house.ga.gov/communicatio...roadcasts.aspx

Click on the Public Safety and Homeland Security link near the bottom.

More detailed discussion about the Bill is here: http://georgiapacking.org/forum/view...p?f=33&t=82790
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Roger That....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Go GA! Get it done and serve as an example to other states!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    My state (Georgia) is very pro gun. They have my support. I need to figure out how to lobby more from local friends and families.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

BUMP

Call and email the committee members today. Their contact info is in the OP's first post above. Get your family and friend involved too. Let's get this thing past Crossover Day and on to the Senate side and then on to the Governor's desk.

This Bill has a very good chance of moving on to the Senate, but you need to encourage the committee members so that they know that they are making the right decision. Do this today before the 3:00PM meeting.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Distinguished Member
    Just saw this. I will be reaching out to my representatives this morning. Thanks!

The committee members are the most important people to contact NOW, then your Rep when the vote comes to the House floor before Thursday (Crossover Day).
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

The Bill passed the committee hearing tonight!

The hearing started late, around 5:30PM, because the House went long. The hearing lasted about 3 hours, and I missed the first 45 minutes I think.

There were some amendments. One to keep from creating a new violation of law, so they changed the verbiage some to correct that. Biggest one was they fully explained what was considered security at a Government Building. To be prohibited from carrying in a Government Building there has to be security inhibiting ingress (A means or place of entering) into the building. That is huge, because there are very few Government Buildings with that type of Security.

It goes to Rules, where it should not have a problem since one of the co-authors is the chairman of Rules, then to the house floor for a vote before Thursdays Crossover Day. Then it moves over to the Senate.

I think this is our year.
    goldshellback and Brad426 like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

HB 512 just passed the Rules Committee with the Bill being changed to Modified Structure. There is a Amendment being offered, that will be debated on the House Floor Tomorrow.

HB 512 will have a House Floor vote sometime tomorrow before Crossover Day ends.

Get on the phone and send emails to your House Reps to vote in favor of HB 512 today and tomorrow.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Where are our Georgia Guys and Gals?
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links