Gun "Trafficking"

Gun "Trafficking"

This is a discussion on Gun "Trafficking" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since I have sent emails objecting to any new "gun control laws" to many politicians (and since they don't seem to actually read the emails ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: Gun "Trafficking"

Gun "Trafficking"

Since I have sent emails objecting to any new "gun control laws" to many politicians (and since they don't seem to actually read the emails to know what my stance is), I received this email today:
    ---------------------
    I wanted to share the great news – yesterday, we saw a big bipartisan breakthrough on gun safety reform. Because of the great bipartisan progress Kirsten and Senator Mark Kirk have made on their legislation to crack down on gun trafficking and straw purchasers, their bill will be incorporated into the Senate's consensus gun trafficking legislation, which will be marked up in the Senate Judiciary Committee this Thursday.
    This is a huge step forward in the legislative process.
    It has been a long road since Kirsten first introduced this bill in 2009 but thanks to your support and advocacy for this legislation, we've taken one more step toward Senate passage and one more step toward saving lives. It's unacceptable that there is no federal law currently defining gun trafficking as a crime. Thanks to you, I'm hopeful that soon there will be.
    I hope you'll read more about this legislation in the article below.
    Stefanie Conahan
    Gillibrand for Senate

--------------

From a new report on this new legislation:
    ---------
    Leahy touted the proposed legislation as "consistent with the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment."

He also said the law would help prevent repeats of the deadly bungles that occurred in Arizona along the border with Mexico during Operation Fast and Furious by giving border patrollers a solid legal framework to catch smugglers with.

During Fast and Furious, agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives attempted to apprehend smugglers by allowing them to purchase guns with recorded serial numbers in the Arizona and transport them towards the border with Mexico, in hopes of intercepting them.

Nearly 2,000 firearms from the program went missing, some turning up at killing scenes in Mexico -- and at the site of a December 2010 gun battle in Arizona that left U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian A. Terry dead.

"I hope that those who have been concerned about Fast and Furious, whose investigation established that it was the local ATF agents in Arizona who initiated and so poorly implemented that effort, will join with us to close the loophole in the law that Mexican drug cartels are continuing to exploit," Leahy said.
    -----------

Notice that the ATF did the smuggling of about 2,000 guns, not some local gun smuggling gang; and there was no mention of the fact that this whole fiasco was known to Att’y General Eric Holder, in the hopes of increasing the statistics of “guns smuggled into Mexico”!

And one final fact:
    In 2010 the justice department recorded a total of …are you ready for this? 13, yes a grand total of 13 indictments for straw purchases and for criminals caught trying to purchase a firearm via a FFL dealer. But we need yet another "gun control law"...Brilliant, just brilliant…

Politicians: most of them are idiots, and most of the rest are corrupt!

VIP Member
    Me thinks its time to head to Washington with a short rope and start looking for a tall tree.

Sounds like your representative is so stupid, they think YOU are one of the ones on the bandwagon with more infringment upon the second amendment.
    niks likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

This proves that some (note I said "some" not all) politicians are going to do whatever they want, regardless of the will of the people. That Sen. Kirk's office sent you an email thanking you for supporting this legislation is proof that the ones who are doing whatever they want are not only going against the wishes of many (most?) of their constituents, but they aren't even keeping track of what the constituents are saying.

I wish the OP's information had referenced a specific bill.

There's S.54 which increases penalties for straw purchases and allows for forfeiture (aka government stealing) of property tied in any way to the straw purchase. So it's a bill that makes the act more criminaler than it was. (yes, I just made that word up.)

BFD!

Now, if there's some other related bill being discussed above, I'd like to know which one.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    More criminaler, about as bad as more worse
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Sounds like your representative wants her constituents to conform to her beliefs on how the unwashed should be ruled.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    I wish the OP's information had referenced a specific bill.

There's S.54 which increases penalties for straw purchases and allows for forfeiture (aka government stealing) of property tied in any way to the straw purchase. So it's a bill that makes the act more criminaler than it was. (yes, I just made that word up.)

BFD!

Now, if there's some other related bill being discussed above, I'd like to know which one.
    Sorry about that, but there wasn't a specific bill referenced by number...just the "let's all celebrate the gun trafficking bill" info I gave in the original post.

Links