That seems like a good Bill. Good luck Alabama!
This is a discussion on Alabama Omnibus Firearms Reform Bill Passes Senate Committee within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alabama Senate bill 286 was voted on, and APPROVED by a 7-1 vote by the Judiciary Committee!! NRA-ILA | Alabama Omnibus Firearms Reform Bill Passes ...
Alabama Senate bill 286 was voted on, and APPROVED by a 7-1 vote by the Judiciary Committee!!
NRA-ILA | Alabama Omnibus Firearms Reform Bill Passes Senate Committee
SB 286 seeks to restore and protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners in Alabama by addressing the following issues:
- No employer may prohibit the otherwise lawful possession, transportation or storage of firearms or ammunition that is kept out of sight within a locked or attended private vehicle of an invitee who is otherwise permitted to operate or park that vehicle on the property. This would allow employees to carry a firearm during their commute to and from work.
- Repeals the requirement to obtain a pistol permit in order to carry a pistol in a vehicle. (Note: this would not allow for the concealed carry in a vehicle unless a valid pistol permit is possessed.)
- Shifts the current “May Issue” concealed carry permit system to a “Shall Issue” permit system and requires that a sheriff must issue the carry permit within thirty days. Should someone be denied a permit, a written denial must be provided and that applicant would have an opportunity to appear before an appeal panel.
- A permit to carry a concealed pistol shall be good for one to five years (to be decided by the person seeking the carry permit).
- Requires sheriffs to use the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to conduct a background check on concealed pistol permit applicants.
- Allows for all other valid state-issued permits to carry a concealed firearm to be recognized in Alabama.
- Strengthens Alabama’s firearms preemption statute by reserving for the state legislature complete control over regulation and policy relating to firearms, ammunition and firearm accessories in order to ensure that such regulation is applied uniformly throughout the state.
This is the first major pro-gun reform bill in years that's made it favorably out of committee.. contact your state reps!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...
Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.
A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.
Sounds like positive changes, all around.
Finally another great pushback to the anti gunners and a great positive step to help restore a little bit of our 2nd Ammendment and maybe gives some of us a little hope that even though we are struggling on the federal front the states are doing something themselves to better the rights of the American People.
Power to the People!
I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.
NRA Life Member
"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady
So will my WI permit be allowed there?
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Nice to see a few States standing up to defend our rights. Now if Colorado had a few men and women that would actually lead and quit folding to the protectionist. So glad I don't like in one of the wimpy nanny states right now.
There seems to be a vacuum of constitutional leadership right now. Way to go Alabama!!
Awesome! Glad to see there's great support in Bama! Maybe you could rub off some of that common sense here in Colorado?
ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces
Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR
Lord, I wish I was back home!
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."
Good to be living in bama
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2