Another City to Require Mandatory Gun Ownership

This is a discussion on Another City to Require Mandatory Gun Ownership within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; City looks to make gun ownership mandatory | www.wsbtv.com NELSON, Ga. — Every homeowner in a local town could soon have to own a gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Another City to Require Mandatory Gun Ownership

Another City to Require Mandatory Gun Ownership

City looks to make gun ownership mandatory | www.wsbtv.com

NELSON, Ga. — Every homeowner in a local town could soon have to own a gun or break the law. It's a controversial new plan for the city of Nelson.

One police officer patrols Nelson, Georgia for eight hours during the day. That leaves 16 hours overnight when the city is basically unguarded.
    "When he's not here we rely on county sheriffs--however it takes a while for them to get here," said Nelson City Councilman Duane Cronic.

The Nelson ordinance is modeled closely after the 1982 law passed in Kennesaw.
    There you have it. Nelson is jumping on the Kennesaw bandwagon. I fully support these pro-gun, non-enforceable ordinances. They promote the correct mindset of self reliance and personal protection. Before people rant about the government intruding on your rights and forcing you into commerce... this is a local law, and would be no different than a zoning ordinance, requirements for smoke alarms or fire extinguishers in your home. ...Only, code enforcement probably won't come knocking at your door to write a citation for failure to comply in regards to this law.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Local laws can be unconstitutional, too. The RKBA includes the right to not keep or bear arms.

I think laws like this can be appropriate, when they are meant to show how other things are unconstitutional, like Obamacare. For instance, if this law is called a 'tax' (buying a gun), then the sheep won't have anything to argue. Might as well be required to buy a bible, health insurance, a gun, internet access, etc, since Guberment knows best.

Liberty = 1/Government
    mprp and Brad426 like this.

While I agree, for the most part, our entire society has adopted regulations like this. You can't build what you want on your land without your local permission/permitting. You can't have buildings that are structurally unsound. You must abide by ridiculous HOA rules. You must follow municipal code from window %age of your facade to the minimum/maximum size of your porch or the location of your garage. You can't build an industrial plant on a residential zoned property. And if you did build an industrial plant, it would be subject to local rules and regulation. Including all safety precautions.

While this may/may not be constitutional - it is something I can handle (to a degree) on a local level. If mandatory ownership of a gun is a "safety precaution" that must be tied to the ownership of a household - I could think of much worse regulation like I mentioned above. I only agree with this premise while looking at the state of the country that we currently live in. If it were up to me, you could do what you wanted on your own land, own what you want, be as safe as you want, etc. Unfortunately, that's just not the way this country operates.

...Perhaps we could look at it this way. "A well regulated militia" is necessary to the security of a free state. This city is simply ...regulating its militia by ensuring they own a firearm.

A symbolic law saying everyone must own a gun is just as wrong as a law banning guns. And folks wonder why our political system is screwed up.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    While I agree, for the most part, our entire society has adopted regulations like this. You can't build what you want on your land without your local permission/permitting. You can't have buildings that are structurally unsound. You must abide by ridiculous HOA rules. You must follow municipal code from window %age of your facade to the minimum/maximum size of your porch or the location of your garage. You can't build an industrial plant on a residential zoned property. And if you did build an industrial plant, it would be subject to local rules and regulation. Including all safety precautions.

While this may/may not be constitutional - it is something I can handle (to a degree) on a local level. If mandatory ownership of a gun is a "safety precaution" that must be tied to the ownership of a household - I could think of much worse regulation like I mentioned above. I only agree with this premise while looking at the state of the country that we currently live in. If it were up to me, you could do what you wanted on your own land, own what you want, be as safe as you want, etc. Unfortunately, that's just not the way this country operates.

...Perhaps we could look at it this way. "A well regulated militia" is necessary to the security of a free state. This city is simply ...regulating its militia by ensuring they own a firearm.
    'Safety' is a watchword of tyrants because it is a very powerful tool for manipulation and control. It should be nobody's business whether you own a firearm or not.
    NONAME762 likes this.

In BOLD: That is so wrong at so many levels. But if that is your opinion then as the kids say "whatever". I would never utter something that implies that I would support in anyway shape or form something that is unconstitutional. Your raitonal is the same as the anti's. Exact same.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

That's where I stand; leave me alone with what I want to own and which rights I want to exercise and I will leave you alone with yours. A concept the anti's will never understand.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I agree with everything you are saying. I'm a constitutional idealist. I'm just curious as to you guys thoughts on other matters. Currently, we are taxed and regulated in almost every part of our lives. Do you completely disagree with zoning laws and building codes? The fact that you may be required to have sprinklers installed in a certain type of building for fire safety? The fact that you must abide by the FDA and other entities for food preparation for commercial uses? What about "eye sores" Like a giant neon billboard in your neighbors yard that dumps light into your home 24/7. What about taxing your home to fund the local education systems? Perhaps if this bill was worded to say... "You will be taxed and supplied with a firearm that must remain in your home if you are the head of a household - or you may supply your own so long as it is completely functional." Because we all know there are many local taxes associated with owning a home in certain townships. Where does it end, and where does it begin?

Again, I'm not disagreeing with what you guys are saying. I want my freedoms. I'm just being a realist and not throwing a blanket statement over this towns requirement. Because, currently, towns are allowed to require you to do all kinds of crazy things to be a homeowner, business owner, or simply a property owner at all.

I wonder if crime rates will decline?
    The media will never tell us...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with everything you are saying. I'm a constitutional idealist. I'm just curious as to you guys thoughts on other matters. Currently, we are taxed and regulated in almost every part of our lives. Do you completely disagree with zoning laws and building codes? The fact that you may be required to have sprinklers installed in a certain type of building for fire safety? The fact that you must abide by the FDA and other entities for food preparation for commercial uses? What about "eye sores" Like a giant neon billboard in your neighbors yard that dumps light into your home 24/7. What about taxing your home to fund the local education systems? Perhaps if this bill was worded to say... "You will be taxed and supplied with a firearm that must remain in your home if you are the head of a household - or you may supply your own so long as it is completely functional." Because we all know there are many local taxes associated with owning a home in certain townships. Where does it end, and where does it begin?

Again, I'm not disagreeing with what you guys are saying. I want my freedoms. I'm just being a realist and not throwing a blanket statement over this towns requirement. Because, currently, towns are allowed to require you to do all kinds of crazy things to be a homeowner, business owner, or simply a property owner at all.
    Then who is responsible for purchasing the gun safe, ammo etc.? Or what happens when it gets stolen? You see where I'm going with that. Although I can appreciate the pro 2A aspect, I believe that a "right" doesn't and shouldn't be a part of mandatory. And I also see where you're coming from in comparing community CCRs to each other too with the, if this one then why not that one thing. All I can really say is that I'm happy that I'm not required to live in any of these places with such rules. This is not for the sake of argument, it's just what I believe.
    Lotus222 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Back in the early eighties there was a town that enacted a law that required gun ownership within city limits. Back east, upper midwest my gut tells me it was Illinois. But if it WERE just what in heck happened to Illinois?? The same thing that happened to Colorado.

I too am a strong believer of it's My Place. I should be able to build whatever I want or do whatever I want within a reasonable noise level. Unfortunately that ain't the case. Watch out for the Code Enforcement guys. They have blue lights on their vehicles here and can fine you upwards of $4000 per day. Comply or pay the piper.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

As much as I like the intent, I can't stand behind a law that, enforceable or not, requires gun ownership. It's one thing to pass laws that are in the spirit of and protect the Constitution but this goes a bit too far. To be completely frank, if our government would wipe all laws off the books that weren't a hundred percent constitutional we'd be far better off. The Constitution and Bill of Rights are unique in that, while we are GUARANTEED those rights, we're also guaranteed the freedom to NOT exercise those rights. The First Amendment, as an example, guarantees freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc. I can be Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, whatever I choose. I can also NOT practice any religion if I don't want to. I'm not required to practice free speech; I can keep my mouth shut if I want to. The Second Amendment should be no different; I should have the right to keep and bear arms but if I don't want to own a firearm there is and should be no legal ground to force me to do so. I see it no better than a law forcing me to purchase insurance. A big argument with Obamacare is that it forces citizens to engage in commerce (it's been worded better than that by others I'm sure). Requiring gun ownership is no different. If my neighbor wants to be unarmed and at the mercy of criminals and fate, that's his choice.
    I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's blood; I'm fully prepared to go out the same way.

I think that the city/town should at least provide the guns for the people...$500+ is a lot to pay for something that you wouldn't have bought in the first place. Also I think that going public with something like this is simply a scare tactic intended for any would-be criminal in this town...I doubt it would actually be enforced

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    A symbolic law saying everyone must own a gun is just as wrong as a law banning guns. And folks wonder why our political system is screwed up.
    Exactly this.

Freedom allows the choice. Mandating one way or the other is not freedom.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So many panties in a wad... The only purpose of this law is to make the BGs wonder if the home owner is law abiding or not. Roll the dice and find out. No one here or in Kennesaw as ever endorsed a house-to-house search to ensure compliance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links