Missouri man sues state after being denied concealed carry permit

This is a discussion on Missouri man sues state after being denied concealed carry permit within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like Missouri is still fighting back. Posted on March 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM (KMOV) – A Stoddard County man on Monday filed a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Missouri man sues state after being denied concealed carry permit

Missouri man sues state after being denied concealed carry permit

Looks like Missouri is still fighting back.

Posted on March 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    (KMOV) – A Stoddard County man on Monday filed a lawsuit against the state of Missouri after he was denied a concealed carry gun permit.
    Eric Griffin says he was denied the permit because he refused to let the Department of Motor Vehicles scan his records into their system. The Department of Revenue, who oversees the DMV, says they collect the information and then forward it to other government agencies.
    Griffin claims it is an invasion of privacy and should have nothing to do with his ability to receive a concealed carry license.
    Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder on Wednesday announced his support for Griffin in his lawsuit against the county, saying it was an invasion of a citizen’s privacy.
    “These folks have followed the letter of the law and been approved for concealed carry by the proper authorities,” Kinder said. “They must not be required to share that information with any third parties or the federal government.”
    The lawsuit is seeking an injunction against the Department of Revenue from collecting and sharing the data. It also would declare the DMV action’s unlawful.
    Narf, Ransom, Eagleks and 6 others like this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I agree!
    I hope he's successful...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hoping for the same! Precedence (sp?)!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

This could absolutely set a precedent. And having support from the Lt. Governor for sure helps his case.
    NONAME762 and dukalmighty like this.
    I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's blood; I'm fully prepared to go out the same way.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What's the governor's take on this?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What's the governor's take on this?
    Governor Nixon has remained mute. The suit has just been filed and he may not have had time to prepare his briefs. I can't project what his position may be for varying factors. Now that its a lawsuit he may not comment. He is liberal but he grew up on a farm. He supported CCW during the law suits filed in protest trying to block the law. After the court ruling slamming the door in the antis faces, he acted without hesitation signing CCW into law. Until he comments, if at all, I can't say.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Governor Nixon has remained mute. The suit has just been filed and he may not have had time to prepare his briefs.
    That's understandable. Does he wear Hanes or Fruit of the Loom?
    DPro.40, phreddy and accessbob like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Someone from MO, please explain more of what this is about. I don't understand it.

It sounds as if a license would have been issued but the applicant had to then allow "his record" to be
    scanned into a DMV data base? Is that the correct understanding? What records?

Is it the case that your CHL issuing authority does a background check etc., but lacks the authority to
    give records to DMV so they ask for permission to turn them over? If you refuse you don't get the license?
    Is that what is going on?

Why does your DMV think it needs to know anything other than that you have a license?

I'm confused about this.. Someone please explain it to me.
    noway2 and packinnova like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I like your LT Governors thoughts,too bad that kind of common sense isn't required for ALL politicians
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Someone from MO, please explain more of what this is about. I don't understand it.

It sounds as if a license would have been issued but the applicant had to then allow "his record" to be
    scanned into a DMV data base? Is that the correct understanding? What records?

Is it the case that your CHL issuing authority does a background check etc., but lacks the authority to
    give records to DMV so they ask for permission to turn them over? If you refuse you don't get the license?
    Is that what is going on?

Why does your DMV think it needs to know anything other than that you have a license?

I'm confused about this.. Someone please explain it to me.
    From what I gather it's not about just scanning his records but the fact that those records will be sent to any government agency that wants them violating his privacy
    DPro.40 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I like the LT Gov is on board.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Does he wear Hanes or Fruit of the Loom?
    Depends.
    DPro.40 and SpringerXD like this.

MO Dept. Of Revenue Working With DHS On Backdoor tracking of CCW permits

I believe this thread is the same guy with info on the incedent.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    From what I gather it's not about just scanning his records but the fact that those records will be sent to any government agency that wants them violating his privacy
    I'm not following this issue at all. Are they denying the license because he is refusing to allow
    his background check records to be disseminated to DMV and to other government agencies?

I don't quite see the privacy issue. Assuming a clean background, there won't be anything to
    pass on to other agencies. If the objection is that some other agency or governmental agency
    will learn that you have a permit, that I understand.

Finally, privacy is dead. I wish it weren't, but it is. I was recently totally surprised by the amount and
    type of information Walgreens somehow had accumulated on me, on their own, and unrelated
    to any need other than that they verify my ID by asking questions that only I could possibly know the
    correct answer to--- that is, until the answers get disseminated across the net. They accumulated or purchased access to that information prior to my having attempted to do some
    business with them.

I'm afraid that the notion that where you lived, who you married, whether or not you were divorced, where you went to school, whether or not you were ever sued,
    whether or not you were ever arrested, where you worked, and lots more ARE PRESENTLY PRIVATE info,
    is wrong. The private company data aggregators have seen to that. Apparently there are no laws (or they aren't being enforced) to keep private info out of circulation.

So, in this real environment where just about anyone can quickly learn just about anything about you, I'm
    uncertain of what the issue is--- regarding privacy.

Let's say you have a MO license and didn't give permission.
    Would it be an impediment to someone else (government or otherwise) learning that you have a license? Probably not in today's crazy world.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Depends.
    Good one.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links