Q13Fox New segment info needed

This is a discussion on Q13Fox New segment info needed within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just happened to catch a segment of the local news, in which the interviewer was talking to a local M.D. specializing in Children's Medicine, about ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By high pockets

Thread: Q13Fox New segment info needed

Q13Fox New segment info needed

Just happened to catch a segment of the local news, in which the interviewer was talking to a local M.D. specializing in Children's Medicine, about how to talk to children about the current policies of schools to ban young students from drawing pictures of guns, talking about guns, or even chewing pastries into a "gun-like" shape.

The segment probably lasted about 2 minutes (I would guess), and for most of that time, the Doctor spoke very well about how to discuss these kinds of behaviors (of the schools) with school-age children. I was impressed with the fact that she wasn't going on any kind of diatribe about the "evil guns", but rather about minimizing the concern/confusion that children may have about these new schools policies.

UNTIL...she used the last 20 seconds or so to encourage parents and teachers to promote, among themselves and with children, support for the "assault weapons ban", limited capacity magazines, enhanced background checks, etc...

Anyway, I'm writing to her "employers" at Seattle Children’s Hospital and UW School of Medicine to voice my anger about her promoting her own personal views during a segment which was supposed to be about insuring children were not confused about recent school policies.

Just for your information, I've included the text of the letters I'll be writing to her "employers" below (the letters aren't finished yet, but this will give you an idea of what I'll say).

But I wanted to quote her exact words, and I can't find the interview segment on the local news channel's website...with all the clips of news reports that are recorded, I thought maybe that someone here may have recorded this news program and could help me out.

It was aired tonight (Thursday, March 7, 2013) on Q13Fox in Seattle. Anyone else either see that broadcast or have a recording of it?

-----------------

I just saw the Q13Fox News broadcast, with Dr. Cora Collette Breuner talking about how parents and teachers can deal with children's fears, in this age of schools banning students if they even talk about guns, or chew a pastry into the shape of a gun.

I feel that Dr. Breuner was very professional and correct when she spoke about how to discuss these emotional topics with young children...that is UNTIL she started talking about how we should encourage children and parents to support "assault weapons bans", 10 round magazines, and other Second Amendment subjects that she was certainly NOT qualified to address.

I do not want a someone who is not versed in the details of these political questions, even someone with an M.D., promoting her own personal views during a segment which supposedly was about the psychological heath of children. Would she have been comfortable promoting her own personal views on abortion, or birth control, or the federal budget, during this segment? I certainly hope not.

2. Remove Ads

Answering my own query; the Q13 Fox website finally posted the video of that segment (guess it takes them a while to do so). Here's the url:
    Interview: How kids process guns and punishment | Q13 FOX News

I've revised my letters to her "employers" and distributed the text to my "2nd Amendment support" mailing list for other people to use.

I encourage others here to send similar letters/email to these "employers" as well. Here is the final version:

---------------

I just saw the Q13 Fox News broadcast, with Dr. Cora Collette Breuner talking about how parents and teachers can deal with children's fears, in this age of schools banning students if they even talk about guns, or chew a pastry into the shape of a gun.

I feel that Dr. Breuner was very professional and correct when she spoke about how to discuss these emotional topics with young children...that is UNTIL she started talking about how "assault weapons should be absolutely banned, there should be no more than 10 magazines sold at any time" and other Second Amendment subjects that she was certainly NOT qualified to address.

I do not want a someone who is not versed in the details of these political questions, even someone with an M.D., promoting her own personal views during a segment which supposedly was about the psychological heath of children. Would she have been comfortable promoting her own personal views on abortion, or birth control, or the federal budget, during this segment? I certainly hope not.

I demand that you, as her "employer":
    1.) have a discussion with her about her responsibilities as a spokesperson of your organization, and how professionally inappropriate for her to be promoting her own views on these Second Amendment questions under the guise of "medical advice", and
    2.) issue a statement for publication to that affect to Q13 Fox.

So, in other words she was doing just fine until she said something that you disagreed with. I do not see what the big deal is. And I have news for you. If her employer did not like what she said, they would deal with her with or without any input from the public.

EDIT: BTW- Your attitude and letter sounds like you want to stifle free speech. Let me assk you this: Would you write the same letter if she said she opposed an AWB ban and thought hi cap magazines were fine. I don't know you but I highly doubt it. Most folks do not write letters telling folks to not voice what they agree with
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

You might point out, to the Q13 people that allowing someone the opportunity to espouse their political viewpoint in a non-paying situation may obligate them to provide equal opportunity for an opposing viewpoint.
    suntzu likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    So, in other words she was doing just fine until she said something that you disagreed with. I do not see what the big deal is. And I have news for you. If her employer did not like what she said, they would deal with her with or without any input from the public.

EDIT: BTW- Your attitude and letter sounds like you want to stifle free speech. Let me assk you this: Would you write the same letter if she said she opposed an AWB ban and thought hi cap magazines were fine. I don't know you but I highly doubt it. Most folks do not write letters telling folks to not voice what they agree with
    And now it sounds like you want to stifle HIS free speach. He has every right to voice his opinion to the hospital. Free speach works in all directions. The doctors, and his.

Something the OP might want to add to his letter.

Cato Institute study says armed citizens prevent thousands of crimes

Cato Institute study says armed citizens prevent thousands of crimes - JSOnline

The report's authors argue that because only when a citizen actually shoots a criminal subject does the incident make the news, there are likely thousands of times when the mere display of a legal weapon stops a crime from happening. But the study also acknowledges that prior estimates range widely, from less than a million to more than 2 million a year.

So the authors instead turn to about 5,000 news reports of defensive gun use to draw conclusions about the actors, their circumstances, motivations and outcomes. While concealed carry proponents will likely see the collection as a kind of greatest hits of the 2nd Amendment, there are are few counter-examples.
    Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.

Romans 13:4
    But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    And now it sounds like you want to stifle HIS free speach. He has every right to voice his opinion to the hospital. Free speach works in all directions. The doctors, and his.

Something the OP might want to add to his letter.

Cato Institute study says armed citizens prevent thousands of crimes

Cato Institute study says armed citizens prevent thousands of crimes - JSOnline

The report's authors argue that because only when a citizen actually shoots a criminal subject does the incident make the news, there are likely thousands of times when the mere display of a legal weapon stops a crime from happening. But the study also acknowledges that prior estimates range widely, from less than a million to more than 2 million a year.

So the authors instead turn to about 5,000 news reports of defensive gun use to draw conclusions about the actors, their circumstances, motivations and outcomes. While concealed carry proponents will likely see the collection as a kind of greatest hits of the 2nd Amendment, there are are few counter-examples.
    Where, just where, any where, in my post does it imply that the OP do not express his 1A rights. Just where, show me......I siad I think an employer would take care of the employee whether he wrote a letter or not. That implies that he should not write a letter?

Now again...just show me where, just one place where I said for him to NOT do anything. Just one place.

Look, don;t read into my posts. What I write (unless there is a typo) is what I mean. I do not use innuendos, do not mis qoute folks, and do not have hidden meanings.

Now...your turn. Where did I say for him to not express himself?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

Suntzu:

Here is the core of my concern, which you may have missed in reading my post:
    "I do not want a someone who is not versed in the details of these political questions, even someone with an M.D., promoting her own personal views during a segment which supposedly was about the psychological heath of children. Would she have been comfortable promoting her own personal views on abortion, or birth control, or the federal budget, during this segment? I certainly hope not."

I don't know you, but I have news for you: I do not want to stifle free speech, but I do have an issue with personal political views being expressed in an interview which was supposedly about psychological health. If this had been part of a discussion with several people about what their personal views were about these questions, that would have been fine (although I would still disagree with her viewpoint). But since this was supposed to be a segment about areas within her professional expertise, that is another thing altogether. That's what the big deal is.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    You might point out, to the Q13 people that allowing someone the opportunity to espouse their political viewpoint in a non-paying situation may obligate them to provide equal opportunity for an opposing viewpoint.
    high pockets,
    Thanks for that reminder. I think I will remind them of that.

Suntzu,

Man relax and go take your meds dude.
    You see ma bit high strung. You're just waiting to bite someone's head off.
    You over react in a post then send me a PM. Sir....it's just not a personal attack on you. Relax.
    Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.

Romans 13:4
    But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    Suntzu,

Man relax and go take your meds dude.
    You see ma bit high strung. You're just waiting to bite someone's head off.
    You over react in a post then send me a PM. Sir....it's just not a personal attack on you. Relax.
    Actually I am on decaf and I do not like it when someone on a public forum does not portray what I wrote correctly. Just call me a stickler for wanting folks to not misqoute or misrepresent people. Which happens way to often. Guess it was the way I was brought up.

Like right now, is that a way of saying you were wrong in your post or does it have some other meaning? hmmmmmm I do not know so I will not specualte on what you mean. I would hope that you can do the same.

Links