The Cowardice of Gander Mountain

This is a discussion on The Cowardice of Gander Mountain within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Because our mission is to responsibly spread the benefits of responsible firearm ownership, one would assume that we would receive the support from all firearm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The Cowardice of Gander Mountain

Because our mission is to responsibly spread the benefits of responsible firearm ownership, one would assume that we would receive the support from all firearm dealers. I assumed this, and after a trip to Gander Mountain in Spring, TX, I was proven wrong.
    Kennydale and GhostMaker like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

But... but ..... but ...... but .....

LOL . Maybe they were afraid he was an undercover Bloomberg agent.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Reverend Kyle X
    Exalted Chief
    Armed Citizen Project
    ????????

Never saw this title used by a 'clergy' member before...

BTW, what is a 'break-over' shotgun?

I'm not yet convinced Gander did a bad thing here.
    Bad Bob and RMS like this.

Who are these people. This is taken from their web site in the section why they choose to give folks shotguns:
    I can simply point 15 feet down my hallway, while aimed in the general direction of the intruder, and fire a shot that may take care of the problem.
    True and not true. But it sounds like something Joe Biden would say. Also, for a home invasion or more than one BG a break barrell, single shot, shotgun sucks for HD.
    Ksgunner and msgt/ret like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Gander Mountain is a big box we sell everything store. They are in business to make money. They want to be everything to everybody and they are not really pro or against anything until, the winds of public opinion and politics are at their backs. Guns are/were simply another consumer product to sell for profit. If public opinion and politics "of the day" are going to change their bottom line, they change their policy to correct it. That's why it's important to support your local mom and pop gun shop. With them, there is an ideology or a lifestyle conection to firearms and the 2A and they will hold fast and be there for us when the winds of stupidity start to blow.
    blitzburgh, Bark'n, 84160 and 1 others like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

OK, I am not sure if I agree with Gander but I can see a few things that look hokey enough to question if they should sell the man guns. On one side he is not doing anything illegal that I know of so should be allowed to purchase. But, I am also looking at it from Ganders side. A man who reportedly is the "Exalted Chief" of a prevuously unknown organization (appears they started in Jan 2013) comes in and says that he wants x amount of single shot break barrel shotguns that he is going to give to folks in high crime/poverty areas. I think that would at least make a normal person think about this. Then he says that he will make sure they have training and NICS checks. How does the salesperson know he willl do this?

Just saying.
    JDE101, RMS, BaconHunter and 1 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

I dont shop Gander mountain much. Ooops I mean gouger mountain I think their prices are a bit to steep. Especially when I found a mag for my m&p almost $10 cheaper at a small gun shop up the road a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    I dont shop Gander mountain much. Ooops I mean gouger mountain I think their prices are a bit to steep. Especially when I found a mag for my m&p almost $10 cheaper at a small gun shop up the road a ways.
    You found a mag for your M&P?! And then found one cheaper elsewhere?! I'm not buying your story! Hahaha!
    Bark'n likes this.

It's a sign of the legal/political climate we're experiencing and allowing in this country, in which accusation is often a proxy for guilt and where circumstance/correlation is all too often a proxy for legal proof. And so, it's unsurprising when some companies and people make decisions accordingly.

Cowardice? Perhaps. On all of us, for allowing it to have gotten so far, and for allowing it to continue.

If none bowed before the very real threats of being linked or associated with such claims of contribution to a situation, we'd get past it much sooner IMO. If only we'd all do it that way ... Gander Mountain included.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would like to hear from our FFL's on this forum how they would deal with situation. If the intent is to give the guns to folks that need them would it be better for the guy to give them the money, march them in, have the NICS check run and they purchase the guns?

On one hand it sounds shady if you think about it. Then again, if the "Exalted Chief" passes the NICS check he should have the right to purchase the guns without question.

Distinguished Member
    I have no problem with Gander Mountain not selling them the guns. If someone came to you and wanted to buy 10 of your guns, and told you they are going to GIVE them away, would you do it? I don't care what they said about background checks + training, I'm not trusting them. "Hey I need ten shotguns, we're giving them away to people - but don't worry, we're gonna do background checks and train them", - uhh, ya I don't think so. Not to mention a store looking at it from a liability stand point.

Who turns down a free gun? "Oh, I need to pass a BGC and go to this training class? no problem - whatever, just give me my gun". I'm not so sure I'm all on board with this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Not cowardice, business and liability concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hopyard and JDE101 like this.

I don't see anything wrong with Gander Mountians policy. I you want to distribute firearms, get a FFL and go to town. Your organization cliams to help individuals protect themselves, yet you don't honor Gander Mountian's right to protect themselves. If I owned a gun store and you came into my shop and wanted to purchase 10 firearms under the conditions you described I would decline the sale. Gander Mountian is huge firearms store. If they lost their ability to sell firearms it would be a big financial hit. It they were prosecuted for criminal or civil suits it could cost them a lot of money. I understand your passion for what you are doing. I don't understand your name calling because a company is not willing to risk everything to support your cause. It is your cause, not Gander Mountian. Gander Mountian did not infringe on your rights, they protected theirs. Get an FFL and order directly from the distributors.
    RMS, BaconHunter and BigCityChief like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I'd like to hear from an FFL on this as well. It sounds like the Exalted One might as well have walked into Gander Mtn and said "I'd like to make 9 straw purchases, please" and then acted shocked when he was declined.
    "In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.....those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
    -Clint Eastwood "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

What does it matter that this man is buying ten or one hundred guns, you cant decline a man a sale because of what he might do, thats what the government is trying to do, pass laws and restrict rights because of what someone might do. Audit the business, take a class yourself to see if hes legit. Arming people isnt a crime in any shape or form, unless he knowingly gives a gun to someone who cant posses a firearm under current legislation, he can legally arm the state if he wants, i call myself supreme commander all the time, its his right, we cant criticize him for wanting to help people.

Exalted Supreme Commander 5th Reg 4th core, Peoples Republic of the Zombie Movement,
    Zombievs42
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links