If you can't ban 'em, tax 'em, or have annual fees.

This is a discussion on If you can't ban 'em, tax 'em, or have annual fees. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I may have read another thread about taxing ammo, but could not find it right off. This one just came out today & talks about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: If you can't ban 'em, tax 'em, or have annual fees.

I may have read another thread about taxing ammo, but could not find it right off. This one just came out today & talks about taxing as well as annual registration fees. Of course to have annual fees, everything must be registered. Then .... when you run out of money, they will confiscate them.

Lawmakers eye new taxes on guns, ammo in latest wave of legislation

By Judson Berger, Published March 11, 2013, FoxNews.com

If you can't ban 'em, tax 'em.

Lawmakers looking to more tightly regulate firearms in the wake of the Newtown school shooting and other massacres are moving at the state and federal levels to introduce new taxes on firearms and ammunition.

Read more: Lawmakers eye new taxes on guns, ammo in latest wave of legislation | Fox News
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

VIP Member
    When you spend money in the trillions they got to get more revenue. But unlike the story I doubt the money collected will go to where it was intended to go. Just punishes the law abiding citizens.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I don't understand how it's going to do any good,to place a tax on ammo,except to give our greedy a-- govt something else to tax,ugh.

So what's next??? A tax on free speech? Or maybe a tax on the right to a fair trial? This is disgusting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    When you spend money in the trillions they got to get more revenue. But unlike the story I doubt the money collected will go to where it was intended to go. Just punishes the law abiding citizens.
    How about a $10 tax on each high falutin' coffee drink at Starbucks and all the Starbucks wannabe businesses across the USA?? All you guys can go back to cowboy coffee and let the Liberal retards pay the new tax??
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Why punish Starbucks, it's one business that has shown a very strong support for the 2A.
    StevePVB and OD* like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Why punish Starbucks, it's one business that has shown a very strong support for the 2A.
    Not arguing, just saying. Not necessarily strong support, they just don't object. Starbucks says "they obey state rules & regulations".
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

From the article "At the state level in California, Democratic state Rep. Roger Dickinson last month introduced a bill to impose a 5-cent tax on every bullet.

"A limited tax on ammunition is a small price to pay for better mental health care for children in our state," he said in a recent statement. The revenue from the tax would go toward screening young people for mental illness.

I am glad, should I ectsatic, to see someone taking mental health seriously. But I thought Obamacare was supposed to take care of all these "health" issues. Isn't that why they elected him in the first place, was to take care of everything. /sarc off

If I thought for one minute that this money would go where it was supposed to go, I would be a lot less upset about this than I am. But, I know better. You know better. Everyone on this forum knows better. And if he were honest about it, Rep. Dickinson knows better.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

This taxing notion is an interesting twist...

After all, the Supremes allow the ACA (Obummercare) as a tax... So ammo taxes and firearms taxes might be legal... we already pay excise taxes on ammo and weapons as it is...

As we bend over already, MUST we GRAB OUR ANKLES, TOO?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I'm so glad I did the right thing! My son's schools PTA was having a gun buy back... since it was for such a good cause I didn't even take the money.. I feel so warm inside!!

I have almost zero doubt that any tax significantly beyond the normal sales tax would be found to be unconstitutional. SCOTUS has ruled that poll taxes are unconstitutional (Harper v Board of Elections, 1966) and that taxes on ink and paper are as well. "Minnesota's ink and paper tax violates the First Amendment not only because it singles out the press, but also because it targets a small group of newspapers. The effect of the $100,000 exemption is that only a handful of publishers in the State pay any tax at all, and even fewer pay any significant amount of tax. To recognize a power in the State not only to single out the press but also to tailor the tax so that it singles out a few members of the press presents such a potential for abuse that no interest suggested by Minnesota can justify the scheme." 460 US at 591-592.

The same principal that applies to the 1A applies to the 2A. If it is a protected fundamental right, the state may not create a punitive burden to the exercise of that right.

I remember reading an interview with Justice Breyer a few years ago who recalled that when he was a legislative assistant to Sen John Dansforth, he was astounded to see that the Senators did not give a hoot whether or not a piece of legislation they were considering was constitutional. Breyer recalled that Dansforth said some thing to the effect of "our job is to pass the thing, the job of the Supreme Court is to decide if its constitutional, let's do our job and let them do theirs"

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    But unlike the story I doubt the money collected will go to where it was intended to go.
    Of course it won't. The damn revenue for Social Security doesn't even stay within the system. If every dime paid in to SS were to stay there instead of be raided by the government as a type of piggy bank, there'd be no talk about SS failing in the coming decades.

Can't do a polling tax, so there is little chance that this can go through. Makes it that more unobtainable for the poor, and less likely that they can practice the right, which has already been deemed unconstitutional by SCOTUS.

Wish they'd stop saying "But cigarettes and alcohol!"... those aren't Constitutionally protected rights.

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    Of course it won't. The damn revenue for Social Security doesn't even stay within the system. If every dime paid in to SS were to stay there instead of be raided by the government as a type of piggy bank, there'd be no talk about SS failing in the coming decades.

Can't do a polling tax, so there is little chance that this can go through. Makes it that more unobtainable for the poor, and less likely that they can practice the right, which has already been deemed unconstitutional by SCOTUS.

Wish they'd stop saying "But cigarettes and alcohol!"... those aren't Constitutionally protected rights.
    Forget the cigarettes and alcohol... they already tax guns and ammo, and you and I pay those taxes... what makes you think they can't raise those taxes?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Hey Congress and Mr. President, here's an idea:

Make any new laws and new taxes (pertaining to firearms and ammo) only apply to the law breakers and not the law abiding populace.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    Not arguing, just saying. Not necessarily strong support, they just don't object. Starbucks says "they obey state rules & regulations".
    Should they state they defy state rules & regulations?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links