This is how the press "works." Even conservative newspapers.

This is a discussion on This is how the press "works." Even conservative newspapers. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the headline, probably above the fold in the local paper. So it will be seen by anyone in a gas station etc. Man killed ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: This is how the press "works." Even conservative newspapers.

Here's the headline, probably above the fold in the local paper. So it will be seen by anyone in a gas station etc.

Man killed in police shootout issued weapons permit despite UI concerns

John Q. Public sees the headline and thinks: "Oh, that's proof right there... we need better background checks. And he never should have gotten a permit to carry weapons."

But you see, the truth is he did not have a Permit To Carry Weapons (which is what our carry permit is). He was issued a Permit To Acquire Pistols/Revolvers.

Note the underlined word weapons in the permit to carry... the word weapons is not in the permit to acquire.

In Iowa, you are required to get a permit to buy handguns. Having the permit (to acquire) eliminates a wait for the NICS check on long guns as well... so it's not a bad thing to have... and is very close to UBC... Because, even in private sales (of handguns only) the seller is required to see the purchaser's permit to acquire OR his permit to carry. This does not apply to private sales of long guns. I don't like the law, but I am living with it... and I have my permit to carry anyway.

Maybe I'm being overly "sensitive." But I believe that the headline is misleading... and that the ruse might just be intentional.

Here's the whole story: Man killed in police shootout issued weapons permit despite UI concerns | TheGazette
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Typical anti journalism that relies upon the spread of misinformation to push an agenda on the small minded.

VIP Member
    Unfortunately for UI "concerns" aren't enough to deny anyone their Second Amendment rights. If he had been a convicted felon or had weapons offense convictions in his past, he wouldn't pass the NICS or the 'permit'. However, I don't like the idea of a university, or anyone else for that matter, feeling like they should have the power to deny someone a weapon simply because they are 'concerned'. Our government could easily become too 'concerned' about all of us acquiring weapons and start denying purchases based on something that has no legal standing, and more importantly no actual defense.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Unfortunately for UI "concerns" aren't enough to deny anyone their Second Amendment rights. If he had been a convicted felon or had weapons offense convictions in his past, he wouldn't pass the NICS or the 'permit'. However, I don't like the idea of a university, or anyone else for that matter, feeling like they should have the power to deny someone a weapon simply because they are 'concerned'. Our government could easily become too 'concerned' about all of us acquiring weapons and start denying purchases based on something that has no legal standing, and more importantly no actual defense.
    Interestingly enough, the discussion of "concerns" was the same in the James Holmes case in Colorado. Members of the university faculty expressed "concerns". His therapist expressed "concerns". Well, geniuses, "concerns" don't mean much. The guy wasn't a criminal until he walked into a theater and lit up the crowd. He passed his background checks and bought his firearms legally. The NICS system did its job; what happened after that was solely at the discretion of James Holmes. In Newtown, there were "concerns" about Adam Lanza and what he may or may not do. In the case of the guy in the Gazette article, it's the same thing. He passed the NICS background checks and everything after that was on his shoulders. Mark Kelly just went through the NICS to buy his AR-15 and 1911. The NICS system again did what it's intended to do, determined that Mr. Kelly is not a criminal and is not prohibited from purchasing firearms. If he decides to go on a shooting spree it's because HE made that decision. I could say I have "concerns" about his motives for buying a weapon. Maybe I think he's unstable and might do something irrational. It doesn't matter what I think because rights can't be infringed based on a hunch.
    I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's blood; I'm fully prepared to go out the same way.

In fairness, I wrote to The Gazette's editors explaining the differences between a permit to acquire, and a permit to carry.

They responded quickly, and positively...

My letter and the response:

Dear Editors:

Your headline for the story on the shooting of Taleb Hussein Yousef Salameh to be found in The Gazette.com online product (at least) is misleading.

In this day of heightened awareness of firearms crime, background checks, assault weapons etc. It seems a bit disingenuous to suggest in the headline that Mr. Salameh had a "weapons permit." to wit:

"Man killed in police shootout issued weapons permit despite UI concerns"

Mr. Salameh was issued a "permit to acquire pistols/revolvers". That is the official terminology, used by the state of Iowa on the permit to purchase handguns. The permit to acquire is very like a universal background check... one must have a purchase to acquire pistols/revolvers to purchase a handgun from any source such as a gun show, a private party, or a registered gun dealer. In order to be issued the permit to acquire, one must go to the county Sheriff and apply... a NICS (FBI background check) is completed on the applicant who, if the check is passed, will receive the permit to acquire, provided he is not a "prohibited person" under Iowa code 724.26

Mr. Salameh was not issued a "permit to carry weapons". That is the official terminology, used by the state of Iowa to carry (on one's person, off of their own property) "dangerous weapons" Including some knives, tasers, and yes, firearms. The permit to carry such weapons is more stringent in its restrictions of who may do so, than the right to acquire them...

You will note that the only "weapons" permit is the permit to carry.... And, while those members of the public who know such things are cognizant of the differences, most have no Idea, and your headline insinuates that Salameh may have been issued a permit to carry, when that was not the case.

We all know that the purpose of a headline is to grab the attention of the reader... but I don't believe it should be a veiled half truth. I've always thought The Gazette was better than that. Please consider issuing a correction.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx xxxxxx

Annette Schulte <Annette.Schulte@sourcemedia.net>

9:57 AM (41 minutes ago)

Charlie, appreciate the note. I suspect the reporter is not familiar with the distinction. I did not realize myself that a permit to purchase exists. We’ll have Vanessa look at the info she’s gathered again, verify the type of permit and we’ll get the content corrected as warranted. Thanks so much for highlighting this and sharing your expertise.

Annette M. Schulte

Managing editor
    mprp likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'm glad they responded so quickly. I wonder now if the Des Moines Register published a similar report... I think I'll take a look.

Edit:

Nope, the article from the DMR made no reference to his permit to acquire. It did mention that he had an arrest record:

"Online court records show Salameh has been arrested several times for various offenses, including public intoxication, drunken driving, disorderly conduct and driving while barred"

Arrests are not convictions and the charges could have easily been dropped in those cases but even if he were convicted none of those would disqualify him from getting his permit.
    I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's blood; I'm fully prepared to go out the same way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    In fairness, I wrote to The Gazette's editors explaining the differences between a permit to acquire, and a permit to carry.

They responded quickly, and positively...

My letter and the response:
    Good response. Hopefully they will clarify in a correction.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

While the Editor suspects that the reporter did not know the difference between the two permits,
    the first paragraph of the article states:

The University of Iowa recommended that Taleb Hussein Yousef Salameh be denied a weapons permit in 2010, but the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office issued him a permit to purchase anyway in February of that year, public records show.
    Again, it's not a permit to purchase, it's a permit to acquire.

It will be interesting to see what they correct, if anything.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Interesting response from the newspaper.

It illustrates the uphill battle that we fight. As you've pointed out in other threads, we're not just up against the antis, there is a large section of the population that just doesn't know what the laws are and how they work. They're told that we need more regulation, and given that they don't know that it's already there, they agree. Ugh.

Something else to remember - with the Gazette being a conservative publication, odds are pretty good not everyone who writes for them is conservative. Not everyone that works for the liberal publications are liberal themselves, and you can pick them out if you pay close attention to what and how they write. Reporters with any news publication will present the facts in ways that suit their agenda. As was pointed out, the misleading title of the article was pretty blatant considering what the writer stated in the first paragraph.

Re: This is how the press "works." Even conservative newspapers.

Such frivolity of language is nothing new in the press. It has always been We the People's job to keep them along with the politicians honest. Good thing we are here.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Links