California Confiscates Firearms

This is a discussion on California Confiscates Firearms within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone who continues to believe that national gun registration isn't going to lead to gun confiscation needs to read this... California Seizes Guns as Owners ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: California Confiscates Firearms

VIP Member

California Confiscates Firearms

Anyone who continues to believe that national gun registration isn't going to lead to gun confiscation needs to read this...

California Seizes Guns as Owners Lose Right to Keep Arms - Bloomberg

And they aren't just taking guns from criminals...

They had better luck in nearby Upland, where they seized three guns from the home of Lynette Phillips, 48, who’d been hospitalized for mental illness, and her husband, David. One gun was registered to her, two to him.
    “The prohibited person can’t have access to a firearm,” regardless of who the registered owner is, said Michelle Gregory, a spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

Wonder if they took all the kitchen knives too...

TVJ likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

It's already happend in Louisianna, too. During Katrina the 82nd Airborne got sent in...armed. In violation of the Posse Comitatus Act. They went through and physically disarmed American citizens. Yes, some were criminals. Many were not.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

This

"Other states may lack confiscation programs because they don’t track purchases as closely as California, which requires most weapons sales go through a licensed dealer and be reported.

“Very, very few states have an archive of firearm owners like we have,” said Wintemute, who helped set up the program. "

Is scary... I thought California was having funding issues and were shutting down parks and such? They are adding agents for this..
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This

"Other states may lack confiscation programs because they don’t track purchases as closely as California, which requires most weapons sales go through a licensed dealer and be reported.

“Very, very few states have an archive of firearm owners like we have,” said Wintemute, who helped set up the program. "

Is scary... I thought California was having funding issues and were shutting down parks and such? They are adding agents for this..
    They have their priorities.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    that is proof that registration is the first step towards confiscation.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Merely being in a database of registered gun owners and having a “disqualifying event,” such as a felony conviction or restraining order, isn’t sufficient evidence for a search warrant, Marsh said March 5 during raids in San Bernardino County. So the agents often must talk their way into a residence to look for weapons...
    Without a warrant, the agents couldn’t enter and had to leave empty- handed.
    Sounds to me like the agents have no regard for the 4th Amendment as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfynn View Post
    Sounds to me like the agents have no regard for the 4th Amendment as well.
    No, that's the ignorance of people not knowing, and protecting, their rights. Police can try anything that isn't illegal; it's up to individuals to care enough about their rights to safeguard them.

I'm all for calling the government the bad guy when it's doing things wrong, but people do have to take responsibility for themselves and understand what their rights are. If you allow your rights to be talked away from you, then you have nobody but yourself to blame.
    NRA Life Member

Coming to a town near you.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Anyone who required proof was living in fantasy land.

..and so it begins. The end of this is obvious.

"The greatest miracle the devil ever pulled off was convincing the world he didn't exist"

Let those with an ear to hear; hear.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Until there is someone or some organization with enough clout/money to oppose all these ILLEGAL ACTIONS taking place, it will continue and eventually spread into other states until it gets to a point where nothing can ever be done to change it. Who is going to be that leader??? I damn sure don't have the money/clout to take on FedGov by myself. What happened to "Checks and Balances" in the FedGov? It seems all the backbones have turned to noodles!!!
    johnbergsing likes this.

Those people in the OP should have just said, "No thank you, we don't want any girl scout cookies or SWAT scout cookies today. So good night!" And then promptly shut the door.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by humblenutto View Post
    Those people in the OP should have just said, "No thank you, we don't want any girl scout cookies or SWAT scout cookies today. So good night!" And then promptly shut the door.
    Nice idea, but alas' we live in a country where the majority are sheep.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

They probably scared the non criminal mental patients with "felony". That's what I got from the article. The folks that been treated for mental illness were told that it was a felony for them to have firearms. The criminals did not answer the door, so they were not told anything, and they did not have firearms consificated. This no different than the rest of the country gun grabs. Take the guns from law abiding citizens, leave the criminals alone.
    If I lived in California I would lobby to get folks to stop buying firearms since the funding comes from fees attached to background checks. No funding = no task force. Then I would rent a u-haul and haul my tax paying behind out of California. From what I have been reading I presummed California had gotten better since I left in 2001. Apparantly I was wrong. You know all the pot growers are armed to protect their pot farms. I am sure most of the medical marijuana shops have armed folks protecting their business. So it is legal to have a firearm to to protect pot, but not to protect yourself.
    johnbergsing likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    No, that's the ignorance of people not knowing, and protecting, their rights. Police can try anything that isn't illegal; it's up to individuals to care enough about their rights to safeguard them.I'm all for calling the government the bad guy when it's doing things wrong, but people do have to take responsibility for themselves and understand what their rights are. If you allow your rights to be talked away from you, then you have nobody but yourself to blame.
    While I agree with you, I want to also defend people who might not know exactly where they stand as to the law in their particular town and/or state. There are so many laws and they change on a regular basis it's hard to keep up. It's always the fine print in section 2 paragraph 6 that gets you. A typical law abiding citizen who answers the door one night and is told by uniformed police officers that they must do something, would probably comply. Most people trust the police to know the law and not try to "pull a fast one" on them just because they can.

On another note, this is why everyone should have this doormat as their first line of defense from unreasonable search and seizure.: warrent.jpg
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links