The Final Push (Before the Governor) in Colorado: March 14 Please VOTE AGAINST!

This is a discussion on The Final Push (Before the Governor) in Colorado: March 14 Please VOTE AGAINST! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am as tired of writing as I am of posting. Notwithstanding that, Monday brought some close results in the Senate, some Senate amendments, with ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 2 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By AR15VSCoyote
  • 3 Post By SmokinFool
  • 3 Post By Richard58
  • 2 Post By bigbadsmiles
  • 2 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 3 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: The Final Push (Before the Governor) in Colorado: March 14 Please VOTE AGAINST!

Post The Final Push (Before the Governor) in Colorado: March 14 Please VOTE AGAINST!

I am as tired of writing as I am of posting. Notwithstanding that, Monday brought some close results in the Senate, some Senate amendments, with the result two of the Bills are required to go back to the House for another vote. Here is a succinct summary of same from the NRA:

Colorado: Anti-Gun Legislators Ignore Their Constituents and Pass Onerous Gun Control Bills in the Senate
    Your Immediate Action is Still Needed to Stop a Ban on Standard Capacity Magazines

In a blatant disregard for the constitutional rights of the law-abiding citizens of Colorado, a laundry list of dangerous anti-gun legislation passed yesterday in the state Senate, including:

House Bill 1224 – Bans magazines with a capacity greater than fifteen rounds. (Passed by an 18-17 vote)

House Bill 1228 – Imposes a “gun tax” for a background check when purchasing a firearm. (Passed by a 19-16 vote.)

House Bill 1229 – Criminalizes the private transfer of a firearm. (Passed by a 19-16 vote.)

Since the beginning of this year, hunters, shooters and gun owners have made tens of thousands of phone calls and sent emails making their case to the elected officials in Denver that their Second Amendment rights and freedoms shall not be infringed. Thousands of hard-working Coloradans took time away from their jobs and families, driving sometimes as much as seven hours, to show up at the state Capitol to stand in solidarity against this rights-infringing legislation.

However, despite all of this, your voice and your rights have been ignored by radical anti-gun officials who have taken their lead from New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

The outright disrespect shown towards the voters in Colorado and to the legislative process, by both Governor John Hickenlooper and those state legislators who voted for these bills, is outrageous and reprehensible.

But the fight in Denver for your rights is not over yet!

Two of the bills above, HB 1224 and HB 1229, now return to the state House for a concurrence vote on Senate amendments, giving Second Amendment supporters and sportsmen another chance to stop their passage and enactment.

We need you to contact the following state Representatives TODAY and politely urge them to vote NO on HB 1224, as it only passed in the state House by a 34-31 vote last month and stands the better chance of being defeated.

Please also being to contact Governor John Hickenlooper and encourage him to veto House Bills 1224, 1228 and 1229. Contact Governor John Hickenlooper by email here and by phone at (303) 866-2471 or 303-866-2885.

Below is the contact information for the key state Representatives whose votes will determine the defeat or passage of HB 1224:

Daniel Kagan (D-03)
    repkagan@gmail.com
    303-866-2921

Mike McLachlan (D-59)
    mike.mclachlan.house@state.co.us
    303-866-2914

Jonathan Singer (D-11)
    jonathan.singer.house@state.co.us
    303-866-2780

Dominick Moreno (D-32)
    dominick.moreno.house@state.co.us
    303-866-2964

Dave Young (D-50)
    dave.young.house@state.co.us
    303-866-2929

Tony Exum (D-17)
    thomas.exum.house@state.co.us
    303-866-3069

Please stay tuned to NRA-ILA | ILA Home and your e-mail inbox for further updates.
    I know ya'll are tired too, but please throw your weight behind us Colorado members one last time!

Interestingly enough, a strong 2A supporter has announced his 2014 candidacy for one of the Demorat held Senate seats!

!!! Thank You !!!

Please send them letters expressing your objections and that you will vote with your tourism dollars!

If Bloomberg and Biden are successful here, Your state could be next!
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 12th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
    TX expat, wmhawth and krisspy like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    R & G, sorry to steal part of your post, but I felt it fit, so here is how I incorporated it into an e mail I sent to everyone on your list.

Since the beginning of this year, hunters, shooters and gun owners have made tens of thousands of phone calls and sent emails making their case to the elected officials in Denver that their Second Amendment rights and freedoms shall not be infringed. Thousands of hard-working Coloradans took time away from their jobs and families, driving sometimes as much as seven hours, to show up at the state Capitol to stand in solidarity against this rights-infringing legislation.

You in the legislator need to stop taking your marching orders from Mayor Bloomberg, and start doing what you were put in office for, and that is to listen to YOUR CONSTITUENTS.

In bold is what I added.

Good luck,
    and I fear as when each individual state finds success in passing anti gun legislation, more may follow, so we are ALL in this together.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

We HAVE to fight...
    Bloomberg and his $$$ are a tough foe...
    That's how David felt when he dropped Goliath.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

It seems lately like I've been writing and calling CO legislators as much or more than my own! Like I said in a previous thread, we have to stick together. So you have my support. I'll send emails tonight and make the calls tomorrow.

VIP Member
    What Bloomberg is doing is threatening them with ads bought with his money....he's ruined NY state as it is....I can see him buying off state leaders also and maybe later doing the same with some of the fence sitter justices when things get that far....anything possible with money and power. Those in power think of the public as sheep in a field that they own. They have sheep dogs to keep us in line if we get out of the fence. What their doing now is doing their sheep herding for a big sale.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Calls made and emails sent! Thank you to everyone who has been supporting us here in Colorado!
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

VIP Member
    Don't know what I can do for you here in Wisconsin but all I can say is DON'T GIVE UP!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Don't know what I can do for you here in Wisconsin but all I can say is DON'T GIVE UP!
    I still contacted them from S.C. threatening them with my tourism dollars.. whether or not I really do have any intentions of going there.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I still contacted them from S.C. threatening them with my tourism dollars.. whether or not I really do have any intentions of going there.
    That's the way to go! We out-of-towners need to contact them, and voice our displeasure at what's going on in CO and pledge to spend our money elsewhere if these bills become law. Just as I would hope that I can count on all of you if it becomes necessary for a full court press in West Virginia. As I have said before we need to stick together. We have a much greater chance of defeating bad legislation (and a better chance of passing good legislation) if we all speak up with one loud voice.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

As much as I hope none of those measures gets anywhere, I believe there 12 chicks in that bunch! They have the numbers and they seem dead set on using them to push the issue all the way to the Gov. who is right in line to sign it. I sure hope that something changes between now and then!

HB 1224 (Magazine Limits) Passed and is on to the Governor. HB 1229 is in Committee.

Jerks in Denver.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Sorry this is long but it is from my local Sheriff, here in El Paso County Colorado. What is going on here is criminal as hundreds of citizens were not allowed to speak. What the democrats are doing is a disgrace and an insult to the Constitution.

An Injustice Against our Citizens
    By Terry Maketa, Sheriff

Monday, March 4, 2013, was unlike any day I’ve experienced in my 12 years testifying at the Colorado State Capitol. During my tenure, I’ve had numerous opportunities to participate in legislative processes from draft proposal to signature of a bill making it law.

I’ve witnessed many hearings and observed citizens, law enforcement, and special interest groups share opinions on a variety of proposed laws. I’ve witnessed very controversial bills set in a process to allow full access from supporters, opponents, and citizens to be heard by their legislators. On numerous occasions, bills similar in nature were set for hearing on different days to ensure opportunity for anyone to participate in the deliberative process. On Monday, this didn’t occur. Instead, gun bills were simultaneously scheduled and of 25 plus sheriffs, only one could testify per bill. Hearings were split so bills heard simultaneously were on different floors, even though all were heard by senate committees. Rules for testimony changed three times from Thursday afternoon through Monday at 10:30 am, when hearings began.

Historically, any citizen would be allowed to speak if they arrived at the Capitol early and signed up on testimony records. Although sign up sheets were in place and citizens including myself signed up, we were completely disregarded. Minutes after I signed up to testify, I learned a different process would be utilized and testimony was based on three categories: experts, preferred witnesses, and public witnesses. No explanation was provided to define expert or preferred witness. I was told this decision was made by the senate president and the chairperson of the hearing committee. Additionally, experts would have no time constraints and all others would be restricted to three minutes. I was completely disheartened at what I was witnessing and this was exacerbated when I learned experts included an individual that was not a resident of Colorado who had no credentials to qualify as an expert except his spouse was a victim of the Tuscan Arizona shooting. He admitted he had not read the proposed bill and could not speak to any specifics regarding this bill. He encouraged Colorado to adopt universal background checks and close the gun show loophole, both of which already exist. Sadly, he testified with unlimited restriction as voters and taxpayers of this state sat helplessly as they were denied the right to testify during committee hearings.

My colleague, Sheriff John Cooke, testified in opposition of the “Universal Background Check” bill on behalf of most sheriffs while staying within the three minute constraint. Fortunately, I was allowed to testify because a member of the legislature listed me as an expert witness. I was honored and brought statistics and facts as it related to the national insta-check system (NICS); the probable criminalization of law abiding citizens and the unenforceability of this particular bill. I offered other options knowing we all share the common goal of reducing violence. I was proud to represent my constituents and the majority of our sheriffs. That pride was quickly diminished as I departed the hearing room and witnessed hundreds of citizens who would not be given the opportunity to testify. Although they expressed their sincere appreciation for my comments, I recognized the injustice that was unfolding before my eyes. Citizens of Colorado were prevented from participating in the legislative process. Their rights had been overridden by the agenda of a few members of the State Senate.

As I made my way out of the Capitol, I was shocked at the number of people who attended these hearings. It’s estimated the number of people in attendance reached 1,000. I spoke to several and was told they just wanted their voice to be heard. Many of them had never been to the Capitol, let alone testified on any bill. Some brought their children as a lesson in civics and sacrificed a day at work to participate in the law making process. Unfortunately, what they hoped for never happened.

Due to a prior commitment, I could not stay for the remaining bills. Later, I phoned a member of our legislature and expressed concern for what I had witnessed; changing of rules, time limits, new classification of speakers to establish priority and most of all the number of citizens who made the journey to the Capitol in hopes of being heard. I was told the rules did change several times and that this was very unusual. These changes were driven by the majority leadership, Senator John Morse, and the chairperson of the involved hearing committee.

I am not sharing this because of the outcome of the hearings that day; rather I am sharing this because of the process implemented and the faces of all those citizens that were never permitted to participate in the process. Government is supposed to be by the people, for the people and on this day, they were crushed and kicked to the side. Special interest coalitions and hand picked experts with no relevant expertise trumped our citizens.

To add insult to injury, the following Wednesday, I received an email containing the following language from a member of County Sheriffs Of Colorado: “…I have been advised by a reliable source at the Capitol that the Dems are seriously not pleased with the CSOC positions on the gun bills, and given the potential for a real salary bill to be introduced as you shall see from a follow-up email from” (an unnamed sheriff), “support of SB197 would put us in a more favorable light for salary bill support from the Dems. I do not believe we would be sacrificing our principles or positions on the other gun bills by supporting SB197.” “...Please let us know what you think on this proposal ASAP as I need to get a letter from us to the Senate Dems before the close of business today.” As I see it, senate Dems have made it known, “sheriffs, obey or no pay for you.” The first word that comes to my mind is extortion. Again, I’m disheartened that the pay of sheriffs is threatened to gain compliance with the majority party leadership. Local elected officials’ pay is set by the legislature as stated in Colorado Law. The previous governor’s process brought the need for a pay increase before the legislature and that legislature is attempting to buy compliance. I have great admiration for my fellow sheriffs; they are true professionals with high morals and principles. Having served with many of them for years, I can say they are men of honor with a passion to serve and do what’s right. I will not speak for them, but I personally will not concede to these threats, stand by while coercive acts such as this go without mention, nor will I compromise my values and beliefs for a justified pay raise based on studies performed by a bi-partisan commission formed by the democrat leadership. To be clear, this salary recommendation would have no affect on me, as I am term limited. Setting salaries is the responsibility of the legislature. This authority should not be used as a tool of coercion, but unfortunately it appears to have become such a device and there is nothing to suggest otherwise.

I believe there was mention of this attempted extortion (and that's exactly what it is) in an earlier thread here on DC. I wish I could say I'm surprised by this but quite honestly nothing the anti's do really surprises me anymore. Their bag of dirty tricks is a huge one, and have absolutely no shame. They will do whatever they have to do to win this fight. All we have is our voice, but if that's all we have, then let's use it! I will write and call my elected officials for as long I still can write and I still have a voice. Never give up. Never surrender!

Vote here against each individual piece of legislation ASAP: Governor John Hickenlooper - Contact the Governor Application

Links