Want to hear from the NRA supporters here. Is this what you paid for?

This is a discussion on Want to hear from the NRA supporters here. Is this what you paid for? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I may have to cancel my membership if this plays out....... Sources: NRA won't oppose background check deal ? if Democrats cede tough records fight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Want to hear from the NRA supporters here. Is this what you paid for?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Email I received yesterday:

Statement from Chris W. Cox, NRA-ILA Executive Director, regarding inaccurate NBC story alleging that NRA won't oppose background check bill

An article appearing today on NBCNews.com is falsely reporting that NRA will not oppose legislation being negotiated in the U.S. Senate that would mandate background checks for all gun purchasers.

The story posted on NBCNews.com alleges that NRA will not oppose expanding the background check system to include all private firearm sales, "provided the legislation does not require private gun sellers to maintain records of the checks". This statement is completely untrue. The NRA opposes criminalizing private firearms transfers between law-abiding individuals, and therefore opposes an expansion of the background check system.

The NRA supports meaningful efforts to address the problems of violent crime and mass violence in America, through swift and certain prosecution of violent criminals; securing our schools; and fixing our broken mental health system.
    Ksgunner likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The NRA denies being part of any agreement. "We do not take positions on hypotheticals. We will make our position known if and when legislation is introduced," said Chris Cox, the group's top lobbyist.

The NRA is still adamantly opposed to expanding background checks to private sales. "To be clear, the National Rifle Association does not support legislation that would criminalize otherwise lawful transfers of firearms between law abiding Americans," Cox said.
    It seems the headline comes not from the NRA, but from what other people think the NRA will do. Still if you are concerned, contact the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrisamore View Post
    Email I received yesterday:

Statement from Chris W. Cox, NRA-ILA Executive Director, regarding inaccurate NBC story alleging that NRA won't oppose background check bill

An article appearing today on NBCNews.com is falsely reporting that NRA will not oppose legislation being negotiated in the U.S. Senate that would mandate background checks for all gun purchasers.

The story posted on NBCNews.com alleges that NRA will not oppose expanding the background check system to include all private firearm sales, "provided the legislation does not require private gun sellers to maintain records of the checks". This statement is completely untrue. The NRA opposes criminalizing private firearms transfers between law-abiding individuals, and therefore opposes an expansion of the background check system.

The NRA supports meaningful efforts to address the problems of violent crime and mass violence in America, through swift and certain prosecution of violent criminals; securing our schools; and fixing our broken mental health system.
    Thanks. I hope your email from Cox is accurately describing the situation. I can see this as a card being held and it being played willingly if there was enough support for the whole gun package. As things stand now, there's no reason to compromise on any additional gun restrictions.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    It seems the headline comes not from the NRA, but from what other people think the NRA will do. Still if you are concerned, contact the NRA.
    Have, but have not gotten a response yet.

Distinguished Member
    NBC News... the folks who edited the Zimmerman/Martin 911 tapes to emasculate Zimmerans story.
    NBC News... the folks who edited the video of a Sandy Hook parent's interview then cried "Heckler!" when a pro-rights audience member answered that parent's question.
    NBC News... the folks who hurried to release completely inaccurate information regarding the weapons used at Sandy Hook.
    NBC News... 'nuff said.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    NBC News... the folks who edited the Zimmerman/Martin 911 tapes to emasculate Zimmerans story.
    NBC News... the folks who edited the video of a Sandy Hook parent's interview then cried "Heckler!" when a pro-rights audience member answered that parent's question.
    NBC News... the folks who hurried to release completely inaccurate information regarding the weapons used at Sandy Hook.
    NBC News... 'nuff said.
    NBC is owned by that mega rich billionaire maggot Soros.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

OD*
    NBC is owned by GE (49%) and Comcast (51%).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    NBC News... 'nuff said.

Don't forget ABC News. They were just caught "editing" too.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I'm a +50 year lifer with the NRA. My Grandfather bought all his grandsons a Life Membership on the day we were born . The NRA has always been at the forefront my legislative advocacy related to 2nd Amendment issues. If they begin, in my view, to waver from prioritizing the interests of its members I will drop my support like a hot horseshoe. I suggest y'all do the same. Until such time, they are historically our strongest ally.
    sixgun, bombthrower77 and jem102 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    The first line of the NBC report: "Senators negotiating a bill mandating background checks for all gun buyers are privately expecting the National Rifle Association not to fight the measure -- provided the legislation does not require private gun sellers to maintain records of the checks, NBC News has learned."

Care to make any wagers on which senators she is referring to, or what "privately expecting" translates to?

The NRA has made its share goofs in the past, but it still amazes me how quickly some folks are willing to take the words of the anti-gun media at face value. They have proven that it is their intent to divide NRA membership from its leadership, yet many seem instantly willing to take the bait.
    OD*, phreddy and jeephipwr like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The NRA has made its share goofs in the past, but it still amazes me how quickly some folks are willing to take the words of the anti-gun media at face value. They have proven that it is their intent to divide NRA membership from its leadership, yet many seem instantly willing to take the bait.
    Mike, it's because too many people in our camp would rather circle the firing squad than tangle with an enemy they don't understand.

I write about Cox's statement here, down about halfway:

Doctor refutes research about gun laws, deaths - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

I think and Im the first to admit Im not the brightest bulb in the lamp, that a lot of us and I mean a lot that have followed the lead of NRA and " lets be responsible and not upset the sheep" are sick and tired of almost every organization and politician on our side arguing from a stance that ANY of this stuff is legal!!!! Or ever was!!

The Constitution says what it says and it does not any place give SCOTUS POTUS or any other otus or anyone else any authority to regulate guns their ownership or carry period. What is wrong with simply stating the facts that all this illegal. could be grounds for being tried for treason etc etc and standing on that instead of bleating and bleating arguing with those who HAVE NO DARNED AUTHORITY TO DO WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN DOING FOR A LONG TIME AND should be on trial for trying it. Acting like they have some legal ground to stand on when they absolutely do not and never did have!!

Its not that we dont understand. We dont understand why our advocates dont understand that illegal is illegal no matter who is doing it and that this whole thing should be fought from that point and that point alone. And backed up any way it needs to be to enforce it. Ok rant over. But somebody more important than me needs to be saying this stuff.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    Why re people so interested in believing the bad? The NRA has done more for gun ownership period. The place they really shine is education of children. Placing standards of instruction that don't exist in any other organization.

Ther is a time in our nation that men and women must stand shoulder to shoulder and that time is now. Quit listening to the dividers of truth. When the NRA is ready to make a stand they will notify all members. There is not a single law in writing just a bunch of feel good liberals beating their gums.

Lets wait and see how the laundry hangs out and again stand shoulder to shoulder.\\

Just my opinion.

Bill
    SigPapa226 and mprp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Mike, it's because too many people in our camp would rather circle the firing squad than tangle with an enemy they don't understand.

I write about Cox's statement here, down about halfway:

Doctor refutes research about gun laws, deaths - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com
    Even more clarity. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links