Registration of Handguns: HR 117, Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013

This is a discussion on Registration of Handguns: HR 117, Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, none of our hired staff in Washington DC is pushing pushing full registration of firearms? Think again. H.R. 117: Handgun Licensing and Registration Act ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Registration of Handguns: HR 117, Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013

Exclamation Registration of Handguns: HR 117, Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013

So, none of our hired staff in Washington DC is pushing pushing full registration of firearms? Think again.

H.R. 117: Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013, @ Popvox.com.

Introduced: January 3, 2013
    Sponsor: Rep. Rush Holt [D-NJ12]
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Shhhhhh, that was supposed to be a secret! They were trying to sneak that one by with all eyes on the AWB.

Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    Shhhhhh, that was supposed to be a secret! They were trying to sneak that one by with all eyes on the AWB.
    ... and sneaking in the "universal" background checks on all firearms transactions, which is a thing buried in several of the proposed bills:

• H.R. 21: NRA Membersí Gun Safety Act of 2013.
    • H.R. 34: Blair Holtís Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2013.
    • S. 374: Protecting Responsible Gun Sellers Act of 2013.
    • H.R. 137: Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013 / Universal background checks.
    • S. 74: Ammunition Background Check Act of 2013
    • S. 22: Gun Show Background Check Act of 2013
    • and who knows where else. But those are the ones I've found so far.

And the beat goes on.

Well you know they gotta attack from all fronts. They figure they can sneak on through in there somewhere without telling us. It's just a matter of time before they manage to do it too!

VIP Member
    I clicked on "opposed" and sent the following message to my representatives:

I oppose H.R. 117: Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013 because...

...that's what Hitler did before he began to exterminate the Jews of Europe.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    I clicked on "opposed" and sent the following message to my representatives:

I oppose H.R. 117: Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013 because...

...that's what Hitler did before he began to exterminate the Jews of Europe.
    Same here......
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Pretty soon they won't be able to say we are paranoid for claiming they want registration, then confiscation.

Oh wait, yeah, they will probably keep saying it anyway. Those people don't really mean it, you can't actually listen to what they are saying...
    Walk softly ...

Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013 (H.R. 117) - GovTrack.us

This bill was assigned to a congressional committee on January 3, 2013, which will consider it before possibly sending it on to the House or Senate as a whole.

PROGRESS
    Introduced Jan 03, 2013
    Referred to Committee Jan 03, 2013
    Reported by Committee ...
    Passed House ...
    Passed Senate ...
    Signed by the President ...
    PROGNOSIS
    4% chance of getting past committee.
    1% chance of being enacted.

Only 11% of House bills made it past committee and only 3% were enacted in 2011–2013. [show factors | methodology]

COSPONSORS
    2 cosponsors (2D) (show)

BULLY!!!!

damn. pretty soon im going to find myself on the right side of the constitution but the wrong side of the law. /facepalm
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ... and sneaking in the "universal" background checks on all firearms transactions, which is a thing buried in several of the proposed bills:

• H.R. 21: NRA Members’ Gun Safety Act of 2013.
    • H.R. 34: Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2013.
    • S. 374: Protecting Responsible Gun Sellers Act of 2013.
    • H.R. 137: Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013 / Universal background checks.
    • S. 74: Ammunition Background Check Act of 2013
    • S. 22: Gun Show Background Check Act of 2013
    • and who knows where else. But those are the ones I've found so far.

And the beat goes on.
    What gets me is there is no possibility to enforce background checks. How do they know what happened to that old revolver my granddad gave me years ago? They don't, and if I sell it to my cousin. How are they gonna ever go back and figure it all out? They can't. So...I don't know what that is gonna accomplish.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

None of it will accomplish anything except help the Gubment to eventually confiscate weapons to as large as degree as they are able. It wont stop one criminal from getting a gun ammo or anything else its proported to do
    ccw9mm likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

According to govtrack.us, this appears to be a re-introduction of a bill from 2003 (HR124). Sponsored by the same rep, Rush Holt of NJ. Guess he figures this is a perfect time to try again. Oh, and don't believe the extremely low odds for this bill quoted from the website. Even if it's true that it likely won't pass, we still need to fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    What gets me is there is no possibility to enforce background checks. How do they know what happened to that old revolver my granddad gave me years ago? They don't, and if I sell it to my cousin. How are they gonna ever go back and figure it all out? They can't. So...I don't know what that is gonna accomplish.
    Now you're starting to get it.

What's it going to accomplish? While it cannot be made practical, it can certainly be enforced. Which makes one wonder that if the point of it isn't really practical crime reduction, then what's left? Control of the citizenry, of the "law-abiding" portion of the citizenry, the ones who'll "jump" to avoid being criminalized for such a laughable attempt at actual reduction in crime. Let alone, being a precursor along the ugly ride toward confiscation.

POPVOX.com lists about 50 bills in the House & Senate that are about gun control. A couple are pro bills like National Right to Carry, but most are anti.

Everyone should go to POPVOX.COM & register their position on each bill. The legislators use POPVOX as a tool. It is not their only input, but it is one they do look at. POPVOX is easy to use & no spam.

Everyone on this forum need to go to POPVOX and provide their opinion.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links