Hypothetical Geography Question

This is a discussion on Hypothetical Geography Question within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This isn't really 2A, and it's barely geography, either, but I think you'll get where I'm coming from here in a few sentences. If someone ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy

Thread: Hypothetical Geography Question

This isn't really 2A, and it's barely geography, either, but I think you'll get where I'm coming from here in a few sentences.

If someone were to move from the United States (for something other than political reasons--just hypothetically), what are some other gun-friendly countries he might go to? For the purpose of avoiding the Somalia argument, let's limit the discussion to just "first-world" nations.

The only other country that I have seen GunPolicy.org classify as "permissive" is Austria, but I haven't checked every country in the world--and at any rate, I'm not going to base my facts off what any one website has to say.

So, are there any other "developed" gun friendly countries that you know of? And how do they compare?
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

(I have a feeling Switzerland is going to be mentioned a lot, but from what I've read, their laws are actually quite strict.)
    Last edited by Hobo_Hunter; March 14th, 2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Wasn't what I meant to say
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein

I don't do Hypothetical.

Iceland
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Retake the hypothetical free nation one is hypothetically leaving??? Hypothetically speaking of course
    phreddy likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Belgium
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Of the countries I have been to (25+) my choice would be New Zealand, but really NO country can match the freedoms we enjoy here in the USA.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Texas.
    wmhawth likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Hypothetically won the 234 million dollar lottery and I'm still broke..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I went broke buying lottery tickets.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    That's cuz the Govmint took their cut before you got yours right??

Switzerland...every citizen there is required to own and become proficient with a 30cal MBR.

Israel. I think I read on some Israeli sites you must join their Armed Forces for a 2 year hitch. Many people there speak English too tho I don't know if that would include their military. Israel is a beautiful country from the pics I've seen of it. Plus for a bit of down home goodness...Burger King has stores there.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

South Africa has some very nice parts and is in about the same place as the US, regulation-wise.
    Czech Republic. Love their guns almost as much as Americans.
    New Zealand won't let you have your AR or AK without hassle.
    Bolt guns and pistols at home in Switzerland, more restrictive than NZ.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I don't do Hypothetical.
    Then there was no need to reply, was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Retake the hypothetical free nation one is hypothetically leaving??? Hypothetically speaking of course
    I meant for reasons other than rights. If someone just wanted to live somewhere else, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    South Africa has some very nice parts and is in about the same place as the US, regulation-wise.
    Czech Republic. Love their guns almost as much as Americans.
    New Zealand won't let you have your AR or AK without hassle.
    Bolt guns and pistols at home in Switzerland, more restrictive than NZ.
    Here is an example of an informative, constructive post. Thanks, bombthrower77.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Iceland
    Yet Iceland is not particularly "non-resident" friendly. And S. Africa? You need to check into some of their self-defense laws first.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsored Links