Defensive Carry banner

moving to a more gun friendly state

2K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  HOTCHKIS 
#1 ·
I've seen a lot of chatter around here with individuals and companies threatening to move to a more gun friendly state. While I understand they are speaking out of frustration it drives me crazy.

This is a recipe to lose in politics. Figure you've got a swing state like here in Colorado. Take an issue like 2A rights and when the pendulum swings left we see legislation come up. No surprise there. No take a pile of frustrated citizens and business owners staunchly in support of 2A and they go packing elsewhere. Now how does the future look? Bleak. Less chase of putting 2A friendly representatives into government.

just get tired of the 'take my ball and go home' attitude.

#2 ·
Texas and states in the South are Gun Friendly. We would welcome you here in Georgia. Republican majority across the board starting with the Governor. City of Atlanta is way to the left. Anywhere North, East or West of the Big A is fine. Most folks live North of Atlanta. South of Big A has some areas that are issues.

#8 ·
By geography, CA is gun friendly. The problem is the big pop centers are not. Don't rest on your laurels there. I hear rumblings that GA may be blue some day.

.... No, you alone cannot fight the machine but, a vast majority just like you CAN make a difference. It took these liberal pricks over 50 years to get where they are now because good men stood by and let them do. Don't you think its way passed time the good men stand up and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT???? There are patriots like you in every state....Go find them!!! Organize, stratagize and get in the face of the political machine. They get real scared when big crowds start making demands. Just make sure it's done legal. And if all esle fails then you just make your way down south. I'd be happy to make your aquaintance!
The rise of the modern liberal came with Kennedy. Young and smart. A lot of people got on the band wagon. Then hell broke lose. Revolutionary social change - certainly not all bad.
There's a place for the modern liberal. However, one thing is proven: they don't know how to budget and run a government. But socially liberal ideas are not antithetical to support for 2A.
Minorities are the traditional targets of gun control in this country. I think that the majority pays for that deprivation of gun culture among an increasing voting demographic. It's mostly city versus country. One could pick his geography accordingly.
If it's going to change, we need our supporters of 2A to reach out to minorities for the votes. Heretofore, they (our political leaders who represent us) fail to that. Change where you are or make where you are change. It's doable.

#4 · (Edited)
If it were truly giving up the fight, that'd be one thing.

But the other perspective is to see it as the voicing of other, previously-unstated impacts of having anti-liberty, anti-constitution, anti-2A statutes cooling the jets of business and the economy. It's very real, and until such companies speak in such terms, nobody who's foisting such things upon the People are thinking in such terms. Well, they are now. If for no other reason than getting the full and complete picture on the table for discussion, it's a good thing IMO.

"Take my ball and go home" attitude? Nope. I'd say it's merely calling a spade a spade, identifying the full impact for what it is: personal, security, social and financial. It's about time the conversation include all of it, not merely the rosy portions the liberty-haters have deemed worthy of discussion.

#5 ·
Yeah, what do you do? I'm often curious if all of the 2A supporters moved out of CO, IL, CA, NY, NJ, MY, etc. How long would it take for the number of electoral votes a state has changes? Do we let the liberals have these states and strengthen the 2A in the free states? Would it make a difference with the dead people that vote and the people that get to vote multiple times because we know thay aren't leaving. We need term limits for all elected officials.

#6 ·
Dave, please don't take this the wrong way. By no means am I trying to discourage you from moving but, if you move away from your home because of the ill dealings in your state gov't, then that means you are giving up the fight. The last 4 letters in AMERICAN are "I CAN". No, you alone cannot fight the machine but, a vast majority just like you CAN make a difference. It took these liberal pricks over 50 years to get where they are now because good men stood by and let them do. Don't you think its way passed time the good men stand up and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT???? There are patriots like you in every state....Go find them!!! Organize, stratagize and get in the face of the political machine. They get real scared when big crowds start making demands. Just make sure it's done legal. And if all esle fails then you just make your way down south. I'd be happy to make your aquaintance!

#12 ·
What I think you might be missing is that when people move, they take their voting power with them and if enough people move, the number of representatives change.

If there was a mass exodus from one region, that region will lose one of their representatives in Washington. The representatives follow the citizens. In other words, if you get enough citizen together, they get to elect someone to represent them in Washington.

By moving, you could cause CO to lose one representative and Texas to gain one representative.

CO loses a vote in Washington and Texas gains a vote in Washington.

Move enough people and CO will lose an electoral college vote in the presidential race and Texas will gain an electoral college vote in the presidential race which will make it even more important for a presidential candidate to win Texas.

The power is with the people.

If you can not change how the representatives in your area represent you, you need to move to an area of the country that has a representative already in place that represents his/he constituents like you want to be represented or you need to move to area where you have a fighting chance to alter the type of representation that currently exists there.

That^^^^is where you take "the fight".

#14 ·
Unfortunately I think that in times like these, moving and voting with real dollars are about the only thing you have left. Magpul has it right; if the state won't support them, then they'll find a state that will. And make no mistake, plenty will. The flip side of that is not about giving up on Colorado, it's about making sure that Colorado lawmakers pay for their decisions. When those tax dollars leave, when those jobs leave, when all that taxable revenue ends up in another state's coffers, other states will absolutely be forced to stand up and take notice of it. Hopefully the lesson will be clear cut enough that the next state governor that considers pushing this sort of legislation will have a better feel for the downside to trying to take rights away from the people.

#29 ·
No take a pile of frustrated citizens and business owners staunchly in support of 2A and they go packing elsewhere. Now how does the future look? Bleak. Less chase of putting 2A friendly representatives into government.

just get tired of the 'take my ball and go home' attitude.
Would you rather they stay? Make money for the tyrants? If a state chooses to elect officials who infringe upon the freedoms of the states citizens then I wouldnt want to support them, or even be a citizen in that state.

What we need to do as small gov, pro civil liberties citizens is band together. Much like the super left has. Unite and support candidates who reflect our values and start changing this country one state at a time. yes, sadly most of the time the candidate who represents us the most accurately may not have that great a chance of winning, but I think we all can see where voting for the "lesser of two evils" has got us. The "evil" candidates keep moving farther to the left, and the "lesser of the two evils" follows him. And before we know it we have to choose between a communist and a soft anti gun "republican" who doenst have a problem with using drones against US citizens and thinks its ok for the gov to indefinitely detain US citizens without trial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.