First New Yorker charged under new gun law

This is a discussion on First New Yorker charged under new gun law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; He is being charged under the new "safe act". WNYer first to be charged under gun law | WIVB.com My heart goes out to New ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By WINTEJER000

Thread: First New Yorker charged under new gun law

He is being charged under the new "safe act".

WNYer first to be charged under gun law | WIVB.com

My heart goes out to New York residents.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

I want a magnum ar 10
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Poor guy. I hope the NYSSC throws out the new law on general principal.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

My feeling is that the Safe Act will be struck down, but in the meantime many more people will be charged with violating some part of it or another.

VIP Member
    I think this is running elsewhere here. The buyer told the seller he was a felon. The accused sold the gun anyway.
    The new NY law charges were window dressing on top of the other felonies that were allegedly being
    committed.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

We need to begin seeing "jury nullification" with any and all of these cases.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

a felony for the first gun before the safe act and a misdemeanor for the second under the safe act so the law got softer on gun crime.... reducing it to a misdemeanor? makes no sense to me. ...

well according to what i read, since he sold the ar 10 to an un athorized person, the cop should be charged too.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think this is running elsewhere here. The buyer told the seller he was a felon. The accused sold the gun anyway.
    The new NY law charges were window dressing on top of the other felonies that were allegedly being
    committed.
    I'm not defending the guy - aside from the law being absurd. But if the undercover officer wasn't (and couldn't be) a felon, there is no way the charges could stand in court of selling to a felon.

The law is the law they elected their law makers they wanted it they got.
    Same with Obama they elected him knowing full well what he would do.
    Change is coming this is just the start.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightweb View Post
    a felony for the first gun before the safe act and a misdemeanor for the second under the safe act so the law got softer on gun crime.... reducing it to a misdemeanor? makes no sense to me. ...
    No, it said 2 felony charges and the new NY misdemeanor; charges added no doubt to leave room for some
    sort of plea deal.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No, it said 2 felony charges and the new NY misdemeanor; charges added no doubt to leave room for some
    sort of plea deal.
    uhm... not the article that was linked i went back and reread it relevant part posted below 1 felony 1 misdemeanor.

"Wassell allegedly first sold an illegal DelTon DTI-15 assault rifle to an undercover officer in January. Investigators say because the rifle was outfitted with additional features including a pistol grip, a telescoping butt stock, and a bayonet mount, it is classified as an illegal assault weapon under the penal law. For that alleged sale, Wassell is charged with felony criminal sale of an illegal weapon.

In the second alleged sale, investigators say Wassell sold an undercover officer an Armalite AR-10 Magnum Semiautomatic Rifle in February, in violation of the then recently passed NY SAFE Act, which made illegal the transfer, sale, exchange and disposal of an assault weapon to a person unauthorized to possess such a weapon. Wassell is facing a misdemeanor for the alleged violation of the NY SAFE Act."

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I'm not defending the guy - aside from the law being absurd. But if the undercover officer wasn't (and couldn't be) a felon, there is no way the charges could stand in court of selling to a felon.
    Hope he gets a jury that pays attention to the law and what he is being charged with.

Quote Originally Posted by WINTEJER000 View Post
    well according to what i read, since he sold the ar 10 to an un athorized person, the cop should be charged too.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If the cop was unauthorized to buy a gun, there's something very wrong. I would almost guess that the cop told the seller he was unauthorized and the guy sold it to him anyway, so he is being charged with selling to an unauthorized person. That charge may or may not stick.

Sponsored Links